Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Old 10-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtaddei
Ciao Timmie,
i'm well, but i'm little bit disappointed as the kit arrived in my local hobby shop only after 3 weeks from my order and now I don't have enough time
for next sunday tamiya race
However, i'm trying to explain better my doubt:
I have shimmed the dif pinion in order to reduce the longitudinal play, then a put in place the dif shimmed in order to reduce the transverse play between the dif and the pinion, then i close the dif box, but the ammount of transverse play between the dif and the dif pinion is still 3/4 mm or more, so i'm afraid to damage the coupling.
Is this play ok or it must be reduced? if must be reduced how i can do?

tnks for yr support Timmie, as i trust to be the only one in Italy with such model.

best rgds

Max

Max,

Sorry to hear that you had a delay in receiving your TB03. But I promise when you get it complete and drive it you will forget all your frustrations

I believe what you are saying is that when the differential is installed in the diff cases that you are able to move the differential 3/4mm side to side. When you say 3/4mm do you mean 3/4 of a millimeter? like .75? If so it probably would be ok if you are planning on running the silver can motor, but I if it was my car I would shim it tighter. I shim my diffs to where there is just a very small amount of play....anywhere between .20-.35 mm. The Tamiya part number for the shims to use here is 53588.

Another question for you,

When you checked your diff did you have all the screws installed and tightened down? If not that may take up some of the free play that you are experiencing.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

This is frustrating. What does the TB03 come with as far as spur pitch? 48? and is it a standard 48 pitch? is it metric? is it a .4 pitch?

I have tried 64 pitch sets trying to get to a 4.0ish FDR and I end up with nothing available at my LHS and when I find a set that gets me there the motor hits the driveshaft. SO I want to go back to the spur that came with it because its big.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CSaddict
This is frustrating. What does the TB03 come with as far as spur pitch? 48? and is it a standard 48 pitch? is it metric? is it a .4 pitch?

I have tried 64 pitch sets trying to get to a 4.0ish FDR and I end up with nothing available at my LHS and when I find a set that gets me there the motor hits the driveshaft. SO I want to go back to the spur that came with it because its big.
The factory spur is a metric 0,6 pitch. It is similar to 48 pitch.

I have been able to get my car to a FDR of 3.78 using 64 pitch, but its tricky to do without modifying the chassis. I had to make a custom ball end wrench to tighten the lower motor mount bolt because of the spur gear being so big.

I am currently running a 90 tooth 64 pitch spur with a 53 tooth pinion. This makes it a 4.13 FDR. If 4.13 is close enough for you, its not too difficult to run this. You need a 2.5mm ball end wrench to reach the lower bolt at a angle because of the size of the pinion gear. Install the pinion on the motor, and push the motor to the far right. Tighten the lower motor mount bolt that goes into the motor with your 2.5 ball end wrench. Then slide the motor over, set your mesh and your done. I do not have a 54 tooth pinion handy to try it out, but I believe you could probably get this on as well without much trouble. This would get you to 4.06 FDR. But because I haven't tried it, I won't say it will work for sure...unless you make a custom wrench. Also, I have no issues with the motor being close at all to the driveshaft.

I realize you said you wanted to run spurs and gears your local hobby shop will stock, but if they carry any 64pitch, 90 spur and 50+ size spurs are pretty common if anyone races pan cars there.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Timmie,

my mistake, the transverse play is more than 3 mm
Can you pls advise part number of carbon diff case? maybe with such
case the play is reduced, in the meantime i'm waiting the alluminium diff
side plate from hong kong and maybe also this one will help to reduce the clearance.

tnks n best rgds
Max
Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Addict

Hi Timmie,

my mistake, the transverse play is more than 3 mm
Can you pls advise part number of carbon diff case? maybe with such
case the play is reduced, in the meantime i'm waiting the alluminium diff
side plate from hong kong and maybe also this one will help to reduce the clearance.

tnks n best rgds
Max
Wow 3mm? I'm confused too...that is way out of spec...I've built 4 TB03's and none have had that much free play. Is there any way that you could post up some pictures?

Hopefully if you do buy the carbon cases they will solve the problem you are having. The tolerances on the carbon cases are a little tighter than the stock ones. The part number is #54098.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Tech Adept

Ciao Timmie,
i will post same picture this evening.

best rgds
Max
Old 10-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Timmie,

i have tried to make same photo, but with a poor result. Anyhow, i made correct mesurament, and the clearance of the diff is still 0.98 mm, so i must reduce it of 0.70 - 0.75 mm more.
I'm going to order right now the carbon diff case, and maybe the tollerance will be reduced, i will let you know.
By the way, do you have any set up suggestion for asphalt surface with high grip, long straight and a pair of tight corner and the other corner of medium speed?

tnks n best rgds

Max
Old 10-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks Timmie. I have an 87 spur in there now. I called for a 53 and they only have a 50. I think I will start there.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Hi Timmie,

i have tried to make same photo, but with a poor result. Anyhow, i made correct mesurament, and the clearance of the diff is still 0.98 mm, so i must reduce it of 0.70 - 0.75 mm more.
I'm going to order right now the carbon diff case, and maybe the tollerance will be reduced, i will let you know.
By the way, do you have any set up suggestion for asphalt surface with high grip, long straight and a pair of tight corner and the other corner of medium speed?

tnks n best rgds

Max
Ciao Max,

Yes I believe the carbon cases will do the trick for you without the need of additional shims.

I will give you a set up no problem. Just need some information from you.

Are you going to use sway bars?
What tires?
What motor class?
What differentials will you be using?
And will the car be mostly stock?

I can have a better idea of what to start you off with if I know these things.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CSaddict
Thanks Timmie. I have an 87 spur in there now. I called for a 53 and they only have a 50. I think I will start there.
Glad to help you out, and you are welcome. Yeah that should work without a hitch, maybe later you could get them to order a 53 since that would get you 4.00 flat like you wanted. If your running 17.5, 4.2 works out pretty good most of the time though so hopefully its perfect for you
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

Ciao Timmie,

i'm upgrading my model according the tip suggested by Andrew Kuntze in his article posted in tamiya usa web site.
I'll use the direct coupling on the front, no sway bars and i'll race mostly 10.5T, currently i'm using team wave esc and hacker or team wave motor, tire rubber up to now sorex 36, but with the winter i'll use a softer compound.

As soon as i'll receive all upgrade i'll advise you the out came.

Once more tnks for yr kind support.

Max
Old 10-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

Here you go Max, try this out and let me know how it works for you. I can help you tune it to your liking if you relay information back to me. Yes the list of upgrades Andrew listed are good. Drive train upgrade is needed for 10.5 power.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-03-tb-03-10.5-setup.jpg  
Old 10-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Adept

Ciao Timmie,

just printed the setting sheet, now is time to wait all hop up, part of them from hong kong and part from germany.

I'm very impressed from your assistance, maybe because we are living in different continent and we cannot race together? , however here in italy from Tamiya distributor we don't have the same support, so one more time tnks a lot for your assistance.

Max
Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Ciao Timmie,

just printed the setting sheet, now is time to wait all hop up, part of them from hong kong and part from germany.

I'm very impressed from your assistance, maybe because we are living in different continent and we cannot race together? , however here in italy from Tamiya distributor we don't have the same support, so one more time tnks a lot for your assistance.

Max
Haha, if we both lived close enough to race each other I would still help you out all I could Its all about having fun, and if I can help someone have a better day then that makes me happy.

Its unfortunate that you don't have as much support for Tamiya in your country, but as long as rctech is around your all set I hope you teach Italy more about Tamiya and the TB03 by beating them potere determinato pozzo!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

Ciao Timmie,

I agree with you.
Regarding the possibility to beat somebody, i'm not a very good driver , but when i have in my hands a model that give me a good feeling i'm able to obatain good result

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.