Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Jimmy, that looks awesome. So how do you like the arta vs. the r35?

BTW, do you guys have trouble fitting 0 offset HPI wheels?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Hebiki
wanna recreate it for the TB-03 site? or just link it?
Just link it. There's some comments I'd like to add about painting and perhaps general impressions of the kit. Plus there are some redundant photos that need to go.

In short, its easier to tweak one place rather than two.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by J.Dy
Jimmy, that looks awesome. So how do you like the arta vs. the r35?

BTW, do you guys have trouble fitting 0 offset HPI wheels?
Thanks Jon!

The R35 is the king of steering out of the bodies I have tried. The main thing with it (which I like) is that it's planted in the rear with any of the Tamiya lexan wings yet still has plenty of steering. The rear over hang makes it a bit slow for quick rotation so its suited to a track that flows.

The Garaiya, again with a lexan wing set, is well planted in the rear but has a bit less steering input than the R35. For the Garaiya, all I did was change to the red swaybar up front and my steering was real close.***(See *** below) The short rear overhang allows it to rotate pretty quick so its good in the chicanes and switch backs.

*** In between the heats and the main I took the swaybar off all together and found it to rotate really hard. I wanted to go back and put the swaybar on and lower the spring rate to the next lower spring but did not have time to reset up ride height, tweak etc... Though I did have time to try one thing to help stabilize the new found "oversteer"........... 3mm offset wheels. This widened the car just enough to restabilize it with no swaybar. My lap times in the main were 1/2 second a lap faster! Just food for thought.

Jon, yes "0" offset 26mm wheels will rub on the knuckle and at full throw the tire will hit the outboard shock mount. 6mm hexes will help this and another choice is 24mm wheels. I have been running the stock hexes with +2 24mm Tamiya wheels.

Jimmy W
Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

bluesxman - Hey thats really nice what you did. Good info and well thought out.

Jimmy - Nice looking pictures. Almost looks real sitting on the street Going to bring your car by at the nats? If I can fit it, I might bring my arta to try out but I'm pretty confident in the body I chose to use.

I can't wait to get there. I'm ready to race
Old 08-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Notice my arta body in the rear...I left off the rear section and it works better for me. rear is more planted in fast sweepers and lighter too pause the video on the rear shots. Funny no one at my track has noticed this..hee...hee...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
*** In between the heats and the main I took the swaybar off all together and found it to rotate really hard. I wanted to go back and put the swaybar on and lower the spring rate to the next lower spring but did not have time to reset up ride height, tweak etc... Though I did have time to try one thing to help stabilize the new found "oversteer"........... 3mm offset wheels. This widened the car just enough to restabilize it with no swaybar. My lap times in the main were 1/2 second a lap faster! Just food for thought.

Jon, yes "0" offset 26mm wheels will rub on the knuckle and at full throw the tire will hit the outboard shock mount. 6mm hexes will help this and another choice is 24mm wheels. I have been running the stock hexes with +2 24mm Tamiya wheels.

Jimmy W
I'm assuming this is all for RCGT and I have a few questions:

When you talk about the 3mm offset wheels, is that for the 26mm HPI wheels?

Does the 3mm offset solve the problems of the 26mm wheels hitting the knuckle/shock mount?

Aren't 24mm wheels not allowed in RCGT?

If they are allowed, what tires can you run on the 24mm?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fat500
Notice my arta body in the rear...I left off the rear section and it works better for me. rear is more planted in fast sweepers and lighter too pause the video on the rear shots. Funny no one at my track has noticed this..hee...hee...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Fat,

That is something I will definately try! Thanks for that tip!

Jimmy W
Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bluesxman
I'm assuming this is all for RCGT and I have a few questions:

When you talk about the 3mm offset wheels, is that for the 26mm HPI wheels?

Does the 3mm offset solve the problems of the 26mm wheels hitting the knuckle/shock mount?

Aren't 24mm wheels not allowed in RCGT?

If they are allowed, what tires can you run on the 24mm?
Anything with +2mm will clear ok.

Some of the HPI wheels come with hex spacers. I use these with various combinations of hex thickness to get the track width I'm looking for with "0" offset wheels. Because of the tight 190mm width Tamiya makes their bodys, 5mm hex with 3mm offset wheel is the max width as you see in the pictures with the Garaiya body. With the R35 the +2mm wheels with 5mm hex is the widest without hitting the body.

Per the rules (that are still) on the Showdown site it reads that 26mm wheels were only allowed based on the fact that 99% of dish/racing wheels are 24mm. This was put in place to discourage the use of the Jaco Prism wheel (and the like) to keep the realism in the class. Once the IFS Tamiya bodies were made allowed for this year it was also allowed to run the wheel that comes with the IFS kits making it more economical to use them as they are very realistic like the HPIs.

The X patterns fit just fine on the 24mm wheels. However the tire "crowns" more making less tread contact patch with the road.

Jimmy W
Old 08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Picture time for me Here is a shot of the body I'll be racing in the nats and one I just painted today for my track owner* he owns 2 TB-03's now* They have a roar regional at my local track this weekend so he wanted his TB03 to look pretty Enjoy![IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

OMG!! Are you kidding me! That RX is SICK SICK SICK!!

WOW!

Nice work Timmie!! I've gotta see that thing in person.

Jimmy W
Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the anwser Hebiki . so wich MM turnbuckle did you use for pushrod ? if you use 23mm is there enough thread in the ajuster or its a bit fragile. Cause I will go with silver 28 mm is the 23 is a little too fragile because of that.

and the blue screw where did you get them? Is this an hop up or screw pick up on another kit?

thanks in advance
Old 08-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Default BANANAS!!!

Originally Posted by Timmie
Picture time for me Here is a shot of the body I'll be racing in the nats and one I just painted today for my track owner* he owns 2 TB-03's now* They have a roar regional at my local track this weekend so he wanted his TB03 to look pretty Enjoy![IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Timmie that's Hot.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dude, that's sweet body Timmie! How come my bodies don't come out like that?!! haha. You and Todd have fun in Cali.... bring home some goodies!!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
OMG!! Are you kidding me! That RX is SICK SICK SICK!!

WOW!

Nice work Timmie!! I've gotta see that thing in person.

Jimmy W
Hey thanks a lot, I really appreciate it

See ya this weekend!!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by T.MARSHALL
Timmie that's Hot.
Thanks! See ya tomorrow in the ATL If you get a window seat can we switch?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.