Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bluesxman
Thanks for the in depth reply. That was great
You are very welcome, I am glad that I was able to help

Well I had a blast with the car yesterday. No snags what so ever. Started off running Muchmore QTS 32's and the car was pretty fast right from the start. Had to be a little careful with getting back on the power in corners, or the rear would come around but it was fun Also the car seemed to push some off power when I would try to get set up for some of the turns. So I pulled it in and changed the kit springs to Tamiya short whites up front and yellow's in the rear. At the sametime I changed droop to 5mm front, 5mm rear. This time out the car was a whole lot better. Rotated well, and felt very responsive to steering input. I liked this spring combo, was very forgiving. A good combo for me to remember if my car just goes to crap somewhere handling wise lol!I played with rollcenters some and shim/shock positions and for the most part I was happy where the car was on these tires.

Next I swapped on tires that I normally race with, SJR 36. I figured that the car would probably have too much grip, and I was right hehhe. The rear was way too planted now, pushed horrible on power (for me anyway) so I stood the rear shocks up one hole, changed droop to 6mm in the front, and added 1mm shim on rear inner camber link. I know, lots of adjustments at once but I was in a hurry The car still seemed to need more off power steering the more I got used to the car so I changed to Tamiya yellow springs up front and this fixed most of that. Also added .5 mm of droop in the rear. After that all I messed with were rollcenters a little, and camber. To be honest I didnt really have to do much so far and the car is very fast. I really like this car, for the money it can't be beat. I'm about to head back to the track to do some testing with my other spring brands and play with some other settings. First race with it tomorrow so I'm pretty excited. Here are some pics of my car with minor modifications
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-03-tb03-1.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-tb03-2.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-tb03-3.jpg   Tamiya TB-03-tb03-4.jpg  
Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Good luck on your race and definitely interested to hear how it turns out. Any chance of you posting a setup sheet, Timmie? Is it an asphalt track? Nice wiring job, btw.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Timmie,

did you add weight to the lipo side of your car? I didn't see any, I'm thinking thay you may have added some weight under the battery?

I've noticed that when I don't add weight it turns better one way than the other.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bluesxman
Good luck on your race and definitely interested to hear how it turns out. Any chance of you posting a setup sheet, Timmie? Is it an asphalt track? Nice wiring job, btw.
Thank you I will see what happens tomorrow at the track, lap times will tell me where I need to be at since I can compare them with my 416/evo5 times.

Yes of course, I'll post my setup for you. I just want to iron some things out on it first though. I will have something after this weekend. I race tomorrow at my local track which is very high traction asphalt, and then Sunday I will be racing at a out of town club race held in a parking lot. So after this weekend I will be able to see how the car acts in both high traction and low traction. Going about it this way shows me the strengths and weaknesses in my base setup. Its one of the reasons when I was trying the car out the other day I started off on tires that I knew wouldn't have a ton of grip, and then switched to tires that have a ton of grip. As the car is right now I think most people would like the feel of the setup. For me, I still think it has too much grip as my driving style suites having the car a little loose. But I let a local fast driver who drives a Xray have a turn with it and he really liked it. So I don't know, lap times will tell me more than anything right now. Today I did change some more things on the car to see what would happen. Changed all the arms and hubs etc to the carbon parts to stiffen things up some. Also I went to C/C blocks up front. I think I actually liked the A/A better but the C/C is what I'm sticking with for a while because its a pain to change the one behind the diff housing Also actually went to a Tamiya blue spring in the rear to try and lose some grip back there, but I'm starting to think because of so much traction here, the chassis is flexing or the plastic rear shock tower is absorbing the changes I am making.

Thanks for the compliment on the wiring but It was hurried at the end because I wanted to get to the track! hehe Took my time on the speed controller, then just bundled wires and stuck a transponder on there whne I woke up I will clean it up when I get the setup worked out.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Markus
Timmie,

did you add weight to the lipo side of your car? I didn't see any, I'm thinking thay you may have added some weight under the battery?

I've noticed that when I don't add weight it turns better one way than the other.
Yes I have a whole stick of lead to the side of the lipo. If you look very closely in the pics, it is running right beside the drive shaft. I just cover all my lead to make it look better. That pack is actually from my Evo, and I try to always lay lead in towards the middle of the car. Weighed my car today and it was actually 1523g so I got some to lose. As of right now, it needs a little weight towards the motor side but I'm hoping that taking some off the battery side will balance things out better. The car is pretty close right now though. Checked it on 4 digital scales and its not too bad. Also I like to run a full size servo for the weight it adds to the light side. That and the extra weight towards the front helps me get the extra steering I'm always looking for

Yeah you can definitely feel a car that is way out of whack balance wise. Except maybe if you run oval racing, then you would want that hehe
Old 07-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmie
Yes I have a whole stick of lead to the side of the lipo. If you look very closely in the pics, it is running right beside the drive shaft. I just cover all my lead to make it look better. That pack is actually from my Evo, and I try to always lay lead in towards the middle of the car. Weighed my car today and it was actually 1523g so I got some to lose. As of right now, it needs a little weight towards the motor side but I'm hoping that taking some off the battery side will balance things out better. The car is pretty close right now though. Checked it on 4 digital scales and its not too bad. Also I like to run a full size servo for the weight it adds to the light side. That and the extra weight towards the front helps me get the extra steering I'm always looking for

Yeah you can definitely feel a car that is way out of whack balance wise. Except maybe if you run oval racing, then you would want that hehe
Timmie

dont you have a TCS event out there coming up? id be interested to see what set up you end up with running Tamiya B3s if you do participate.

- Chris
Old 07-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hebiki
Timmie

dont you have a TCS event out there coming up? id be interested to see what set up you end up with running Tamiya B3s if you do participate.

- Chris
Hi Chris

Yes next weekend in Glen Bernie MD. That is one of the reason's I'm so frantic trying to get the TB03 dialed in. It was a last minute decision of mine to run 2 classes and pick up GT2. My Evo is dialed so I'm all set for GT1. But I'm trying to figure out this IFS front end. After looking at my car I think that I need to start looking at the push rod link lengths that connect from the arms to the rocker. I'm thinking out loud here, but it seems to be conflicting with the droop and ride height I want to use. I am saving my b3's for the race cause there so dang expensive! but I will double check my final setup before I go with a pretty fresh set I used earlier in the year. I'll post up what I am using before I go there and what I end up changing while I'm there.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Timmie,

I'll be racing GT2 (TB03) at Glen Burnie also
I'll be doing their club race tomorrow to see if I'm in the area setup wise. I'll be going full tcs trim.... just to see.

your weight wrapped up is stealth. you should see mine lol. uncovered, stuck on any which way. I do have it stuck to the plastic under the main shaft though.

be sure to bring Jimmy Mac with you!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Markus
Timmie,

I'll be racing GT2 (TB03) at Glen Burnie also
I'll be doing their club race tomorrow to see if I'm in the area setup wise. I'll be going full tcs trim.... just to see.

your weight wrapped up is stealth. you should see mine lol. uncovered, stuck on any which way. I do have it stuck to the plastic under the main shaft though.

be sure to bring Jimmy Mac with you!
Markus! Man when you spoke of Jimmy it rang a bell How are ya? Will be good to race with you again Cool! tell me how the traction is and good luck, and hope you give them the shaft!

I tried to get Jimmy to make this one, but he is very busy in real life atm. That and he sold his 416 and is racing the new yoko car. He likes it a lot so I am happy for him....just the wrong color blue But hey me and Jimmy along with some other NC racers are heading up to the Coliseum Aug.1st for some nats practice. If you got the time swing up there.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Haha, NOOooo, not coming this year. I know I haven't raced TCS since 2006, but I'll be back at it next year hopefully. Going back to college has drained a lot out of me. Since I'm going to the Nats this year, I gotta save up! But I'll probably be racing maybe F-1 next year, and maybe GT1 if I can get a hold of a TA05 VerII.

Timmie's TB03 is dialed! Super smooth drive train! I'm very impressed with that car. Like what was said before, I just hate the steering slop. But it's easily fixed with the new hopup kit. Hopefully we'll get his car setup in at a parking lot track this Sunday. So he should be shooting for TCS Gold next weekend! Wish I could support him out there. But I have other obligations atm.

Hey Timmie, do you have the new pic of the track? The one Glenn took from the air? I was gonna post it up, but I can't find it anymore.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmie
Markus! Man when you spoke of Jimmy it rang a bell How are ya? Will be good to race with you again Cool! tell me how the traction is and good luck, and hope you give them the shaft!

I tried to get Jimmy to make this one, but he is very busy in real life atm. That and he sold his 416 and is racing the new yoko car. He likes it a lot so I am happy for him....just the wrong color blue But hey me and Jimmy along with some other NC racers are heading up to the Coliseum Aug.1st for some nats practice. If you got the time swing up there.
cool! dont be shy if you wanna sell that 416 though ill gladly take it off your hands.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hebiki
cool! dont be shy if you wanna sell that 416 though ill gladly take it off your hands.
haha well its in pieces atm, just waiting to put it all back together again with new parts. Last time I ran mod on it I broke the rear belt, stripped a center pulley, and blew up a rear diff LOL! SP 4turn with 2 cell lipo is dangerous! But I do like the car, one of my favorites so I don't think I want to sell it. If anything I would probably retire it to the wall with my other fav cars. But, if I change my mind you will be the first to know
Old 07-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Timmie's car was ballistic today!! He almost set TQ, off by a second. I think he hit a flapper on the last lap. I drove his car, it's just nice!! Very smooth and predictable. I think he posted his fastest times with this car. Better than his Evo V MS, but he's denying it!! He almost won, but... well.... he'll explain why.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Addict

Well first race with my car today and I am VERY impressed. Extremely fast period. Made a few more small changes today and the car is dialed for high grip asphalt. I was running very consistent all day long with the car. First qualifier and I had 6, 14.0 laptimes out of 26 laps and the rest being low 14's as well. By the 3rd qualifier I was running 13's and had the fastest lap of the day with a 13.5. I have the print outs from the races but don't have a scanner. All was going well until the main though hahah. It started with me being in 2nd on the line*missed tq by less than a second* and when the race started I was on the rear bumper of first. Drove behind him for a few laps pressuring him pretty hard until he went wide and I grabbed first. I started pulling away from him and after a few laps he made a mistake and I was confident I had this race won. But with less than a minute to go something felt wrong. I started to notice my car was not steering to the right as well, and that with every lap it got worse. I was thinking, "You got to be kiddin.." I continued to keep driving, now slamming brakes to try and steer and on the last lap all steering to the right was gone and I shot towards a corner dot and flipped ending the race for me. I was disgusted LOL! I guess that is why I am typing so much about it cause I needed to vent hahah! Went back to the pits and discovered what caused it....the ballstud on top of the c hub had worked its way loose and came off I have never had this happen to ANY Tamiya chassis before. After thinking about how in the world this happened it became clear...steering slop. With the spool and all that steering slop, when you make turns I could see the inside front wheel shaking on the turn. So all the vibration worked it loose BLAH! and the ironic thing is my steering upgrade parts showed up this morning but I told myself I would worry with it later tonight

But all in all the car proved itself today. My friend that Tqed drives a 009 Xray, and in the beginning of the day he said to me," Yeah for what that car is its pretty quick..I think it would be good for Tamiya races and stuff" I was like WHAT THE HECK?!?! LOL! But at the end of the day his opinion had changed drastically when he told me he was giving it all he had and I was still getting away from him So I am happy that I got some respect now for Tamiya plastic cars hehhee I got video too just got to figure out how to post it so you all can see my TB03 in action. Well anyway I'm wore out, going to put my steering kit in and go to bed. Me and Jimmy Mac heading out early tomorrow. I will go into detail about stuff with car later on. Go Go Tamiya!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Timmie's car was ballistic today!! He almost set TQ, off by a second. I think he hit a flapper on the last lap. I drove his car, it's just nice!! Very smooth and predictable. I think he posted his fastest times with this car. Better than his Evo V MS, but he's denying it!! He almost won, but... well.... he'll explain why.
SHhhh! Don't say that too loud the evo might hear you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.