Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #106
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Dawn, tell your Sean that I'm sorry you were forced on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
More like I was forced on poor Adam... I'm sure he would have much preferred doing something else other than building a jillion RC Semi Trucks a few weeks ago.... LOL
Old 05-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm usually the first to bash ROAR as I have not been a fan of the some the decisions that have been made in the past and the location of Nationals.

In any event, I applaud them for this effort. Anything that puts a radio in the hands of a new person and exposes them to R/C can only be good for the hobby.

I say well done ROAR and everyone else involved in this. This is a huge step in getting the hobby/sport out to the masses.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
Dawn, tell your Sean that I'm sorry you were forced on me
And you tell your Shawn the same....

Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #109
Tech Regular

Hi all,

Just back into the swing after the Ice Road Truckers event in Charlotte.

WOWIE WOW! What an event it was!

There is an overlying "big picture" theme to this series of events that I tried to convey in the press release but I guess It wasn't made clear.

ROAR was asked to provide technical and logistics support for this promotion of the new season of Ice Road Truckers. I negotiated mention of ROAR's support (and there are other RC partners including RC Driver and Schumacher USA) in all media blasts from the History Channel, and inclusion of the ROAR logo right on the trucks as well as the victory lane banner the winners are photographed in front of. So ROAR has basically been included in a mailing database and website viewership FAR in excess of all US based RC companies COMBINED. It's pretty well known that the RC community markets to itself very well, but markets outside itself poorly at best. This promotion gave ROAR the opportunity to break outside and into the mainstream and expose who knows how many hundreds of thousands of new people to RC both directly and indirectly.

The best thing about it? It cost our membership exactly ZERO to do.

In the "real world" this kind of exposure would literally cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'm still in shock that ROAR was offered such an amazing deal. Is it semi trucks on ice? Yes. Does it represent anything tangible and recognizable about ROAR as an organization? Not much really. Will it double our membership and lead to rules everyone can agree on overnight? Of course not. So why did we do it?:

1) It was FREE. Any pub is good pub, and this level of pub for FREE is just rediculously awesome. Again - I'm a marketing person by trade, and I'm still stunned by the whole thing.

2) Why not? It didn't cost us anything so we had NOTHING TO LOSE.

3) As mentioned previously, even if it gained us nothing immediately, it's a foot in the door for bigger and better things. Also as mentioned previously - to contract a Hollywood model making company to do the same thing Adam Bailey and I have would have cost the History Channel many tens of thousands of dollars. So far, it's cost them the price of the trucks, some shipping, and accomodations at the events for me to keep them running. Budget considerations are HUGE for big time promotional productions like these, and to have the stars of the show (the trucks) made and kept functional for a pittance is a huge win for the production company. If you think word gets around fast in the RC industry, you aint seen nothin like how fast it gets around on 5th Avenue. This may be the first time ROAR is involved in big television promotional events, but mark my words: It won't be the last.

So basically, if you don't see the point - that's totally ok. ROAR does and I do, and we'll ALL BENEFIT from it down the road. My job at ROAR is basic marketing: to increase exposure for the organization and ultimately grow it. I feel this particular partnership that has cost the organization and it's membership absolutely nothing will accomplish the former in the short term, and the latter in the long term as a "first" to be followed many times in the future.

See you in Dover May 30th!
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Shawn Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Very well stated Shawn...

Thank you so much for getting this FIRST program off the ground so efficiently..... and next.... should we tell them....????

Again, to those who are able to provide scorekeeping duties along with a decoder box and loop, please, contact Shawn for information. We are in need of a little assistance.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #111
Tech Regular

Thanks Dawn.

And NO: The "next big thing" is not nearly ready to be unveiled yet.

For folks in the Dover and Pocono area:

If you have a complete scoring system, know how to use it, and have a weekend to donate your time to this fabulous event - PLEASE contact me at: [email protected]

There might even be a race ticket in it for you...

Thanks!
www.SpeedPassion.net
www.SpeedPowerrc.com
Shawn Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #112
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

pretty much a no brainer to get involved with this...I am sure the marketing wheels are in high gear with this opportunity.
genesisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Anything that gets us out in front of people is awesome. That fact that it was totally free and NASCAR related, makes it priceless.

BEn

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #114
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
I received a few photos this morning from Shawn Palmer who was in Charlotte this weekend for the first of these four events. This one is is pretty cool... notice the slogan..."ROARs back Sundays!"

Im not into 18 wheelers nor am I into NASCAR, but this is freaking great!
I am very excited about this. I cant wait to see what evolves from this.

I would love to help out. Shawn call me at the shop if you need anything.
870-933-0479

Q
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #115
Tech Elite

Q - XBox?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #116
Tech Elite

Guys.... check out ESPN today for either pre race or post race coverage of the NASCAR event in Dover. ESPN stopped by the Ice Road Truckers booth where Shawn Palmer is handling the racing and filmed the trucks racing and will be broadcasting later today.

Who says we can't get RC racing on TV? First steps are everything.....
Old 06-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #117
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Guys.... check out ESPN today for either pre race or post race coverage of the NASCAR event in Dover. ESPN stopped by the Ice Road Truckers booth where Shawn Palmer is handling the racing and filmed the trucks racing and will be broadcasting later today.

Who says we can't get RC racing on TV? First steps are everything.....
Now that's awesome!

Sorry I wasn't able to get anyone to go to Dover or Pocono. Between the short notice and the Capital Classic next weekend no one was available.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #118
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Q - XBox?
Yes! Sorry for the delay. Ive been hella booked. Yes Im working on the game tournament thing. The company Im trying to set this up with is owned by a HUGE international company so its taking some time to get this going. My goal is to test this out at the upcoming Asphalt Nats and then set things up so that they are at every ROAR race!
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #119
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to viperbill1963
Thumbs up ice road and roar

well lets see .......average attendence at a nascar race is about 200,000 to 300,000 per weekend on a race weekend with 2 or 3 races going on ,ie ... bush ,trucks and nascar .thats a lot of people who are being exposed to the world of r/c and this sport we call racing r/c cars and a popular show iceroad truckers and this is JUST 1 WEEKEND PEOPLE .there are what 4 of there events scheduled ,might make some people look at our sport not just as a hobby. but as a fun and relaxing sport that all can join and enjoy this is a great family sport for a parent to enjoy with their kids . and what about outside corporations non r/c related company's ,at the snowbirds they had a non r/c related company sponsered a part of the race. this can lead to better things for roar and we the members can only benefit from it .so keep up the great work dawn and i will enojy seeing what you guys come up with next .roar member since 1984
Old 07-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #120
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any new pics or videos from the event?
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote