R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #46
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
How many posts have there been about promoting RC racing in the mainstream? Here's a big cable network using our hobby to promote the new season of one of their more popular shows, at 4 NASCAR Sprint Cup races yet.

Have any of you heard the phrase getting your foot in the door????!!!!
DAM DAM DAM!!!!!!!!!!! The freakin Naw Yonker and I are in total agreement
on this one..... Congrats to NASCAR, ROAR, the Histor Channel and RC-Driver Mag for a making an effort to bring the RC hobby to the masses!!!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Have any of you heard the phrase getting your foot in the door????!!!!
good point. due to the massive marketting focus on nascar, its possible that some other marketers involved with the sport might eventually pick up on this and develope ideas of their own. Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask if there's some downtime or breaks in the schedule the track could be used for a few race demonstrations.

Quote:
there you go...I think that is what is bugging some guys...Semi Tractor Trailers. I understand the promotion is with the History Channel and Ice Road Truckers and that is fantastic...Mix it up with these euro trucks and drifters and you have a winner all the way around!
I did say 'used to', obviously another source, or yokomo would need to be contacted to get those bodies.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #48
Tech Regular

Talking

best part is there oval truckers!

rubber duck out!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #49
Tech Master

I like what ratherBracing said "Oh you're the guys who race tractor trailer rigs". When I tell people I race r/c cars I explain that these are not the type that you buy at Radioshack, they are fully adjustable race cars.Now I'll have to deal with the whole "racing tractor trailer on an oval track" stereotype!
outlandr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
I'm slightly confused. Isn't ROAR a racing organization? I'd think time and energy working on their racing series is a better allocation of time/money.

I've attached the mission statement, and while you can say that they are promoting the "sport" the real mission is mentioned that the most important level is the club level...which I think is really being left behind.

Wow! Really, you're "slightly confused"? You don't see anything positive out of ROAR getting national exposure for FREE? Look at the big picture DerekB and maybe contribute to this exposure by writing a positive article on this development.

Dawn - Simply awesome, this will only lead to hopefully bigger and better projects for ROAR. Congrats!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #51
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Danger- Inventive Management from ROAR !!

Brilliant move Dawn and Excom.

Promo and exposure in absolutely every arena is the best way to increase membership.............

"oh but what about all those poor little clubs that don't have a Zamboni ????"

Jacko
Victor Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer View Post
And NASCAR stands for National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing
And whan was the last time they ran an actual stock car?

This is good for ROAR and the hobby...!!!
perfect,

just the other day i was down at the local ford dealer looking at a two door fusion with rear wheel drive
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherBracing View Post
...........post note: mind you the intent here isn't to flame, bash, or trash.....

.... but I am a bit puzzled and curious.

While I am generally under the agreement that any promotion and promoting of RC racing in this country is a good thing as it potentially introduces more people to our unique, albeit small, hobby.

I am severly puzzled about is how this - regardless of if it's connected to IceRoadTruckers, CashCab, NonSurvivorMan, FixUpMyDumpOfAHouse, PimpMyGirlfriend, or FreezingMyBallsOffWhileCrabFishingInAlaska - has ANYTHING to do with promoting our hobby ... other than giving people the misbegotten illusion that "oh yeah, I heard of you ROAR guys and gals, you're the ones that race remote control semi tractor trailer rigs -- seen 'em on TV -- you're not on drugs are ya?".

If the organization chooses to promote the hobby, fine. But wouldn't there be a better format - like some sort of automobile/motorsports-related show, like, um, Overhaulin' or something?

As I said, I'm not replying to trash anyone, so please don't respond in that manner as it wasn't intended to be mean-spirited - I'm just curious as to the thought process in which the decision was made.

overhauling?? isn't that the show that took and 440 4 sp roadrunner and dropped in a late model hemi and automatic, yea that was them, haven't watched it since.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #54
Tech Champion

first let me say, no one is more of a cup is half empty kinda guy then i am,

but dang,

hey guys, come on out the seattle we are giving away free honda accords, we have 50,000 to give away,

geez you think if someone was giving away free cars it would be something that most people would want like 2008 cudas or camaro, those cars rock, yea you can't give away has many, but accords make lousey hot rods

peace
Old 05-17-2008, 06:07 AM   #55
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
Truly, I fail to see the question in this and wonder why the scrutiny.
Maybe a few of us fail to see where the actual promotion of radio controlled automobile racing is in all of this.

Scrutiny? That's what happens when decisions are made by the executive branch of an organization where the membership isn't consulted.

Sorry you don't understand, but it was a pretty simple query.
ratherBracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #56
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherBracing View Post
Maybe a few of us fail to see where the actual promotion of radio controlled automobile racing is in all of this.

Scrutiny? That's what happens when decisions are made by the executive branch of an organization where the membership isn't consulted.

Sorry you don't understand, but it was a pretty simple query.
A few would be about right, A free promotion for ROAR is worth every penny ROAR shelled out for this. I've offered to help with the Dover event and guess what... Naw, go ahead and guess.... OK I've stumped ya.. I would like to bring my 1/10 and 1/12 car with me as a show and tell pieces. Not to run but as way of showing the people who attend the event that there is a RC type for everyone.. How are these events going to effect ROAR and its membership? Please explain how this is bad for ROAR and the hobby?

If ROAR COMM team had to consult on every little decision, yes this is a little one, how the hell would ROAR get anything done? The current ROAR team listen to its membership and moved on the Lipo and brushless issues that made a lot of people happy.

And considering that less that 10% of its members vote each election is the 10% the ones they should be asking for imput on this?

I am absolutly amazed that people are bitching about this... I wonder what people's reaction would be if this "ACTUALLY" cost ROAR some coin....

Dawn and the other members of the EXEC team, thank you for trying to get ROAR and RC out to the general public. This is what the hobby needs to grow. It's a good start and maybe just maybe there will be other events where we can promote RC and reach even more people who want to try it.
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #57
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh geez now I'm agreeing with the Patriots fan. The world really is coming to an end.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #58
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
A few would be about right, A free promotion for ROAR is worth every penny ROAR shelled out for this. I've offered to help with the Dover event and guess what... Naw, go ahead and guess.... OK I've stumped ya.. I would like to bring my 1/10 and 1/12 car with me as a show and tell pieces. Not to run but as way of showing the people who attend the event that there is a RC type for everyone.. How are these events going to effect ROAR and its membership? Please explain how this is bad for ROAR and the hobby?
This was the point I was after....take this opportunity to show off the "CARS". I figured that was a given, but I had not seen it mentioned until now.
genesisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #59
Suspended

Quote:
I am absolutly amazed that people are bitching about this....
ROFLMAO... I'm absolutely amazed that some people jumped on the bandwagon with so little thought about it or somehow agreeing with the message that potentially will be sent.....
Or maybe as another poster said, "when I tell people I race r/c cars I explain that these are not the type that you buy at Radioshack, they are fully adjustable race cars.Now I'll have to deal with the whole "racing tractor trailer on an oval track" stereotype!"

And frankly this, or you bringing your RCs with you will do little to change the stereotype that already exists or is perpetuated when someone asks, "So, you gonna run that thing for me or what?" and you reply, "Naw, these are for racing and this ain't no race, but check out the semis over there" and they walk away thinking......"yeah right, bunch of elitist toy car racer wanna-bees."
ratherBracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With that kind of an attitude why do anything at all? No matter what you do to promote the hobby there will always be some who just don't get it. Your attitude is if we can't get everybody we shouldn't get anybody.

ROAR, The History Channel, NASCAR, what's so wrong about that?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote