R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2002, 05:43 AM   #46
Tech Master

Try gearing them with a FDR of what, 4.6:1, pretty acceptable on small tracks. Was playing today with one, geared @ 5.3:1 fdr, for fun it's fun
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 05:49 AM   #47
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin
Try gearing them with a FDR of what, 4.6:1, pretty acceptable on small tracks. Was playing today with one, geared @ 5.3:1 fdr, for fun it's fun
you talking about the tamiya one or the 55t one?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 05:52 AM   #48
Tech Master

The tamiya one!
Old 01-07-2002, 08:44 AM   #49
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

yea corse -R u r right ....about the motor part sometimes i dare not to tell people something i dont fully understand ..... just dont understand about the 2 diff awg wire config...... hehe will post questions later when i have more time..... this is jus a short post

yea alvin the tamiya 540 is fast on a 4.8 FDR hehe i followed closely on a 12 turn with that motor
well maybe it was the tight track
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:50 AM   #50
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by imataquito
yea alvin the tamiya 540 is fast on a 4.8 FDR hehe i followed closely on a 12 turn with that motor
well maybe it was the tight track
Any 27 stocker is probably faster than the bloody 540, but it's still pretty nifty, if ye ain't out to trash the competition
It's basically for fun driving
Old 01-07-2002, 10:23 AM   #51
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Anyone experienced this before?????
I juz bought a P94 , labelled 9 double on the package and can. On stripping down the motor to check the armature, I saw "Trinity 10 HVS" printed on the armature. My racing buddies are suspecting packing error or Trinity used an old armature (!!???!!) stack. Yes, the two wires soldered to the comms are unequal sized (HVS), dunno abt the turns.

The dyno labels on the can stated the following :

TRINITY 9x2
---------------
RPM : 46.663
Power : 227.9W
Eff : 78.3%

Torq : 210Nmm
-------------------
Nr . : P9209S

Are any of the above figures abnormally low? Planning to run the motor at abt 15~20 timing with the provided double shunt brushes. Will try a gear ratio of abt 8.17 on my MR4 and work from there.
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:22 PM   #52
Tech Master

hm ... those numbers looked ok .... try gettin it dynoed urself and check the numbers with other 9 turns might not be the same but ... atleast u have an idea about it

hehe alvin ...WRONG a Reedy Rage cant keep up with me even with the same gearing ... hehe mine's a 540 tamiya black can....
BUT a green machine with 5.8 ratio is preety much faster then me but the motor might burn out ....( ever smelled copper burning)

14x2 at 8:1 FDR? thats wierd i gear my 13x2 at 7.6 and i complain its slow .... normally i use 6.8 FDR but motor is BURNING hot
what motor is urs ?? btw long is ur strights ??..
have u skimmed the comm? dynoed the motor ??

btw try the higher peformance brushes this kind of brushes might ruin ur comm i ruined mine cause i used these long lasting + cheap brushes
actually they dont last that LONG lasting either

try shimming the motor, use better brushes and cut the comm it will enable the motor to have better spool up + better power so u will reach the top speed faster ... if u haven done this try it ... but if u have ... u need a slower motor LOL
also try slightly harder springs on the + side most motors like this

with a 8.1 gearing on a 14 turn ... it should reach top speed almost imidiately .....

the more u try to preserve the motor ... the faster u will ruin it ...
if u want to REALLY take care of it .... do it the normal way ... cut the comm, use good brushes, gear it right

use good brushes - does not mean u need high silver content for good brushes.

get brushes from GM racing - the BASHING around brushes ... not the competition ones u will see the diffrence ... the comm does not have rough spots here and there in a long run ...

well i bought some brushes for a cheap price and i ruined my comm in 2 runs hehe these brushes cos me RM 16 which means S$7++ or usd 5++

heh LHS only carries stock for the normal sized brushes ..
mine is kinda slightly oversized

ok anyone agree with me that a 14 turn should REACH top sped imidiately with a 8:1 FDR?? i mean my 13 turn reach top speed out of turns if its at 8:1 gearing ...

Last edited by imataquito; 01-07-2002 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:05 PM   #53
Tech Master

imaquito,
what's a black 540 can? Haven't seen that around.

My motor is the original Trinity Speedgem 1, 14x2, since the last comm, I have been using fantom low silver low wear brushes, they are excellent! Been using this since for around 7 packs, haven't seen any serious decrease in performance.

Trust me the straights at my "home track" is not very long, at most 9-10 parking lots in length (i.e. 9-10 1:1 scale car WIDTHS), it hits top speed at approximately half way through the straight... assuming the tires can grip that day.

I have another epic 14x2, I think it's a trinity something, taht one has advanced timing, and hits top speed much later. So I'd rather play with my speedgem, slower top end makes it easier to control. Though infield it is very difficulto to control...

Any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2002, 10:13 PM   #54
Tech Master

btw, dudes, what is the key difference between the newfangled Trinity P-94 motor, versus the existing Tamiya Dyna Run Touring "TRF editions"? I was shown one of these motors a few days back, it looks similiar in size to a 540, but the can was ribbed (more surface area, thus better heat dissipation?), and the comm was much bigger in size to say, my Yok 23T or 14x2. Been searching the web about this particular motor, and have yet to find any info on it.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:15 AM   #55
Tech Master

hehe sweet my 16 tiurn has bigger coms compared to any oher normal motor out there well its similar to the TRF one and my brushes is also 1mm ticker(width) compared to the norm.

tamiya black can 540 stock motor ....
it looks like a mabuchi non rebuildable but its in black ...

8 - 9 parking lots ? wow thats quite small .... but then ...my car reaches top speed at around a parking space ... at 8:1 with a 13 turn .... hm ..... tried a higher gearing?? say 9:1 or 10:1??
Old 01-08-2002, 03:25 AM   #56
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally posted by imataquito
tried a higher gearing?? say 9:1 or 10:1??
Wouldn't that be a lower gearing?? Are you quoting a FDR??
Old 01-08-2002, 05:21 AM   #57
Tech Master

imaquito, highest I went on my 14x2 was 7:1 FDR. At time time I didn't know what's good for it. Ermm. Basically even when I started to brake for the end of the straights it was still accelerating....
Old 01-08-2002, 06:21 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Alvin - the Dyna Run and P-94 motors are very different - tamiya's motors always seem to come from a completely different design philosophy to everyone elses, and in my experience have ended up being uncompetitive considering their wind.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote