R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-04-2002, 01:24 AM   #16
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin
Dudes, what's the difference between a Motor Dyno (e.g Robotronics) versus "Motor Dressers" and "Motor Checker" e.g. , SpeedPro, Team Orion

Thanks.
Motor checkers/dressers (for RPM) only apply voltage to a unloaded motor. Dynos will load the motor with a calibrated flywheel (or equivalent). The RPM figures from the two will be drastically different and BOTH WILL NOT reflect the RPM you see when you put the motor on the car!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:26 AM   #17
dtm
Tech Champion

The Orion unit cannot check RPM and the Speed lab unit does it with a bit of tape stuck onto the motor and an optical sensor doing the counting!
Old 01-04-2002, 06:37 AM   #18
Tech Master

I read the URL above about the orion motor tester able to "find" the sweet spot timing of a motor. Is this of any use? Or should I just use my favourite 0 degree on the endbell?

~Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 06:50 AM   #19
Tech Addict

If 0 degrees floats your boat, and you're winning constantly then yes, STAY!
Yokomo Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 06:54 AM   #20
Tech Master

Hey dude! Actually I'm not a racer, in fact I have used my mod motors less than 2 dozen battery packs. A bit too fast for me kekeke I found that turning the timing to 0 gave me excellent acceleration, and the top end wasn't too scary.

Thanks again!

~Alvin
Old 01-04-2002, 07:32 AM   #21
dtm
Tech Champion

Be careful about using the '0' mark on the motors these are usually just printed on the stickers which can be stuck on 'close' to the mark. You 'may' be running a slight negative timing on some motors...... stick with 1 deg to be safe!!
Old 01-04-2002, 07:33 AM   #22
Tech Master

Whoa! Ok thanks for the warning. I'll give mine a little adjustment to be safe thanks again!

~Alvin
Old 01-04-2002, 07:37 AM   #23
dtm
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin
I read the URL above about the orion motor tester able to "find" the sweet spot timing of a motor. Is this of any use? Or should I just use my favourite 0 degree on the endbell?

~Alvin
Thats what the blurbs says..... some people swear by it some people don't! The 'sweet' spot on the motor is not necessarily max rpm or max torque or max power.... it just the best compromise of the three! Motor tuning is a little bit of a black art, amongst other factors it depends on your driving style and track.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:23 AM   #24
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dtm
Be careful about using the '0' mark on the motors these are usually just printed on the stickers which can be stuck on 'close' to the mark. You 'may' be running a slight negative timing on some motors...... stick with 1 deg to be safe!!
i dont really follow the sticker timing...i follow the timing tab on the motor can...theres a little slot at the end and i just line it up with it!

Fury motor is the reedy on right?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 08:42 AM   #25
Tech Addict

999: yup

Old 01-04-2002, 08:46 AM   #26
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yokomo Fan
999: yup

okok...heyhey...what about xipp motors? i have their 10x3 motor...how many rpm is that?
Old 01-04-2002, 09:04 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Isn't xipp integy or related? If so it depends on which version you have, the matrix or the JETT motor. The JETT is around 30 000 - 40 000 rpm, and I'm not sure about the matrix, if these are the wrong motors then tell me and I will try and find out.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:01 PM   #28

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I still fail to understand why you are so interested in RPM. It doesn't translate into more speed on the track.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 07:32 PM   #29
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
I still fail to understand why you are so interested in RPM. It doesn't translate into more speed on the track.
well...i see all those engine in the market with all the specs on how much horsepower it got...and whats the rpm range for the engine...so..i thought that motors should have the same thing!
Old 01-04-2002, 08:04 PM   #30
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

i made some imazing discoveries with one of my stock motors...the mod motors are just too fast asn powerful i cant notice the difference

i geared a 16x1 stocker to a 7.9 ratio ... ( too slow and no top end ) for a test peroid after the break in process .. i was cautious with the trottle .... 1/4 trottle at the most and its quite fast considering the gear ratio and the winds of the motor ...
then after 2 battry packs ... i started to go full trottle ...- guess what it was slower... wayyyyy slower no idea why .... and whenever i back off to half trottle it goes faster .....
wierd huh

then ... after testing the motor for a while ... i dropped gearing to 7.3 it still happens ... but at 1/3 trottle i checked my esc and re set and reprogrammed it still the same ... then i went down to
6.8 gearing still happens at 1/3 trottle
pissed off i went to a crazy geaing for a 16 turn 5.5.... cause i tot the motor was faulty ... so why not burn it and get a new one

the problem went away and ...its quite fast .. not bad its about 2x faster then a reedy rage geared at 4.8 or 5.2

using a hand held RPM checker ... which uses a lazer and some reflective tape pasted on the shaft ( normally used for big machineries) it showed up to 28000 rpm then eror comes out of the screen LOL
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote