R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14
7.2 V Batteries

Are the 7.2 Volt batteries from Radio Shack good enough to use in my Tamiya TL-01?
Skyline GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Calvin Ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng
Default

yeah they are ok

they are good practice packs
alot cheaper then the competaative ones


we had a thread about this

people said they were ok

if yout not racing at a club or anything then they are good packs
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:59 PM   #3
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14
Thumbs up

This car is for my 6-year old son.
Is the Tamiya Calsonic Skyline GT-R faster than the r/c cars you can buy at Toys R' Us or Radio Shack?
Skyline GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:35 PM   #4
Tech Addict
 
icon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 527
Send a message via AIM to icon
Default

are you sure a car like that is really for your son . seriously though it will be plenty fast, especially for your 6 yr. old. it should be faster than stock nikko or radio shack cars and definitely much higher quality and realism in the body.

radio shack 7.2 volts are fine, but you really should try to purchase some hobby quality batteries, even if they are slightly higher in price. and if you havent done so already consider getting yourself an electronic speed controller (ESC), it will put considerable run time into your car, reduce weight (compared to all the stuff needed for the mechanical speed controller), and smoother throttle control.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:45 PM   #5
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
are you sure a car like that is really for your son . seriously though it will be plenty fast, especially for your 6 yr. old. it should be faster than stock nikko or radio shack cars and definitely much higher quality and realism in the body.

radio shack 7.2 volts are fine, but you really should try to purchase some hobby quality batteries, even if they are slightly higher in price. and if you havent done so already consider getting yourself an electronic speed controller (ESC), it will put considerable run time into your car, reduce weight (compared to all the stuff needed for the mechanical speed controller), and smoother throttle control.
hahahahahah! I wish it was true but it is my 6 year old's car until I buy my first Nitro or Electric R/C car.

I did replace the stock speed controller that came with the car with a complete system from Futaba. Now I just need the batteries for this baby to rip!
Skyline GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:04 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Calvin Ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyline GTR
hahahahahah! I wish it was true but it is my 6 year old's car until I buy my first Nitro or Electric R/C car.

I did replace the stock speed controller that came with the car with a complete system from Futaba. Now I just need the batteries for this baby to rip!
yeah i remember you and your son. we were talking about how expensive it is

yeah a tl-01 is a really good starting car. even i started with radio shack cars

you got a lucky son there

my little brother is starting and i got him a TC3 with teh futaba system too. its really reliable

some recommendations to save r/c money:
buy stuff from hong kong

i got a FM controller MX-3 for $80 US (120 CAN)


when your gonna get a futaba system with the controller i would get the one with the notches and stuff
the one without the notches to adjust the stuff isnt very good. if your intrested i'll go check the model number

its the same one my bro's using and its pretty good. no problems yet. used it for about a year now
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:14 PM   #7
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
yeah i remember you and your son. we were talking about how expensive it is

yeah a tl-01 is a really good starting car. even i started with radio shack cars

you got a lucky son there

my little brother is starting and i got him a TC3 with teh futaba system too. its really reliable

some recommendations to save r/c money:
buy stuff from hong kong

i got a FM controller MX-3 for $80 US (120 CAN)


when your gonna get a futaba system with the controller i would get the one with the notches and stuff
the one without the notches to adjust the stuff isnt very good. if your intrested i'll go check the model number

its the same one my bro's using and its pretty good. no problems yet. used it for about a year now
Calvin,

No need to look. I already have the controller it's a Futaba 2PH/2PHKA.
Skyline GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:48 AM   #8
WC
Tech Master
 
WC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Global Citizen
Posts: 1,930
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Even the cheapest 7.2V packs will be enough to get your car going, but certainly BUY A GOOD CHARGER.

A decent charger will last you forever, so its worth the extra. Something reliable & automatic will be good insurance especially in hands of kiddies. (Do not even dream about using "chargeleads"!)

Batteries will wear out in time, and you'll need to buy new ones eventually. So even starting out with the cheapest ones makes sense.
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:25 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
minicooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Posts: 949
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by WC
Even the cheapest 7.2V packs will be enough to get your car going, but certainly BUY A GOOD CHARGER.
When I first started (few years ago) I bought some trinity 1500's to race with. That is the way to go. If he races in a novice class he'll do okay. Once he gets past the novice stage then you can start looking at better batteries, better car, etc, etc.
minicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:52 PM   #10
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14
Default It works! But....

Well I bought a Radio Shack 7.2 V battery and charger for only $29.00. But my problem now is my car makes left turns when squeezing the gas and not turning the steering wheel. I guess I need to take it apart and turn the steering server more to the right.



Is this correct?
Skyline GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:31 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Calvin Ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng
Default

have the servo just by itself not attached to anything


center it on your control (remote)
there should be that notch on the top right corner just put it somewhere as close as center

then put the servo saver on and put it into your car


then use the notch on your control to adjust the wrest
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:39 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic
 
Steevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: TIMMAY!!!
Posts: 980
Default

Firstly make sure that the steering trim on your controller is set to neutral (the middle).
If this is OK and the car is only pulling slightly to one side you can correct this with the steering trim by sliding it towards the opposite side to which it is pulling.

If the trim is neutral and the car is pulling dramatically to one side then you will have to reset your servo horn so that when everything is switched on and the trim is in neutral the wheels point straight ahead and the car runs straight or close enough to it.

I hope I have not confused you at all. Sometimes its a little difficult to explain these things clearly...

Keep asking and we'll keep helping

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:46 AM   #13
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
Posts: 30
Default

What in your opinion are some of the best batteries around?
Raikonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 10:57 AM   #14
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 93
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Raikonnen
What in your opinion are some of the best batteries around?
The GP 3300's are my favorite. Great runtime, great voltage and usually cheaper than the Sanyos.
zxracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 06:54 PM   #15
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
have the servo just by itself not attached to anything


center it on your control (remote)
there should be that notch on the top right corner just put it somewhere as close as center

then put the servo saver on and put it into your car


then use the notch on your control to adjust the wrest
Thanks for your help!

The car is now steering straight ahead.

By the way how low should the body be? 1/4 inch or less?
Skyline GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FT GT2 RTR, Ofna starter box w/ batteries, Dynamite Vision Peak w/ batteries phayes526 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 07-15-2008 12:35 PM
COLT 10, INTELLECT matched batteries, 1/8 shell, receiver batteries and blinged 350Z blueGiga Australia For Sale/Trade 3 06-16-2008 07:59 PM
For the LiFe of Batteries is LiFeSO4 batteries the answer trailranger Electric On-Road 0 12-09-2007 09:54 PM
Fs 2 7cell mini t intellect 1200 batteries, blind batteries t to the maxx2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 03-05-2006 04:33 PM
fukuyama batteries/ trinity batteries 20-50 dollars a piece. jackfast R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 02-22-2005 06:37 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:05 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net