R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Can Parking lot Racing Make a comeback?

Can Parking lot Racing Make a comeback? With all of the on-road tracks disapearing, do you guys think more parking lot racing will spring up? Could this help the new 1/10 pan class or even touring cars?

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Dayton, OH track is on year #4 of their parking lot track and attendance grows each year.

Just need to find a smooth parking lot and the willingness of the owner of the parking lot to allow it. I think that is the hard part. Lots of parking lot owners dont want the possible liability concerns.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes, I'm working with a few guys in my area to start this back up. So far the response has been very positive. However, there are those that are looking for those perfect conditions. To which those are too few and far in between.

Our goal is to keep it simple. We want to promote racing, have people to race with and have fun.

It's time for the industry as a whole to go back to it's roots.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I think it will come back, even more so because of traveling costs. The nearest dirt/carpet track is a 200 mile round trip for me, so a day of "club" racing costs me a minimum of $50 and an entire day burned up to play with a toy car. Not to mention , some of the prices these tracks charge to race. Im well aware of mortgages and bills, but when a trophy race for 2 people is teetering on the triple digit side, all for a $2 plaque, getting a group of guys to run some laps in a parking lot is even more attractive.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64 View Post
Can Parking lot Racing Make a comeback? With all of the on-road tracks disapearing, do you guys think more parking lot racing will spring up? Could this help the new 1/10 pan class or even touring cars?
Sure, why not?
As long as it's done right - doesn't chase off racers with it's expense (i.e high-end TCs, or 6-cell speed demons that break a lot of parts and hearts), and doesn't go out of its way to eliminate drivers or potenial classes (i.e. spec classes that have failed all over in all formats, or short-sighted VTA kind of ideas).

And especially in today's retail market, with traffic ever decreasing at malls, it'd seem easy to get major retailers or shopping malls to give up empty parking lot space to allow you to hold a race that could attract shoppers. I know that years ago, during the parking lot on-road frenzy, that we had malls vying to host our races and even funded the trophies and provided insurance coverage. IWe were even able to cross-coordinate between the property owners and the radio stations to provide annoucing of the race, and oftentimes the radio and TV stations hosted live on-site cut-in coverage. Seems like an easy formula to replicate today ...........
RocketRob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRob40 View Post
Sure, why not?
As long as it's done right - doesn't chase off racers with it's expense (i.e high-end TCs, or 6-cell speed demons that break a lot of parts and hearts), and doesn't go out of its way to eliminate drivers or potenial classes (i.e. spec classes that have failed all over in all formats, or short-sighted VTA kind of ideas).

And especially in today's retail market, with traffic ever decreasing at malls, it'd seem easy to get major retailers or shopping malls to give up empty parking lot space to allow you to hold a race that could attract shoppers. I know that years ago, during the parking lot on-road frenzy, that we had malls vying to host our races and even funded the trophies and provided insurance coverage. IWe were even able to cross-coordinate between the property owners and the radio stations to provide annoucing of the race, and oftentimes the radio and TV stations hosted live on-site cut-in coverage. Seems like an easy formula to replicate today ...........
I think if you have an expensive TC that is what is was made for. Baack in the day TC's were for the parking lot and with an adjustment in setup my Tamiya can be pretty good on a bumpy track.

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy View Post
I think it will come back, even more so because of traveling costs. The nearest dirt/carpet track is a 200 mile round trip for me, so a day of "club" racing costs me a minimum of $50 and an entire day burned up to play with a toy car. Not to mention , some of the prices these tracks charge to race. Im well aware of mortgages and bills, but when a trophy race for 2 people is teetering on the triple digit side, all for a $2 plaque, getting a group of guys to run some laps in a parking lot is even more attractive.
When viewed like that, It doesnt make it fun......I do see your point though
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The CORRC club in Denver rents out space in the parking lot at Invesco Field (Bronco's Stadium) and holds their club races there. The stadium is in a highly visible area near downtown, so you get a lot of people stopping to look. The lot is also in fantastic shape, and grip comes up nicely with a little spraying. With the mountains on one side, and downtown Denver on the other, I'm not sure I've seen a more beautiful location for a track.

In the winter, the club rents out space in a building at the fairgrounds and puts up, I believe, the largest carpet track in the country. It's a pretty great success story as far as clubs go, especially considering it's less than a year old. It was formed in reaction to the local permanent facility closing, and has thrived so far.

More pictures...
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
I too would love to see the parkinglot racing thrive. (the more people in the hobby the better). However I dont see how this would be to the advantage of pan cars, as parking lots tend to be far from ideal for pan cars. Is'nt parking lot racing want brought on the TC evolution?
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Tech Master

We started racing 1/10 pan in the parking lot in the 90's that was the only place you could race them. 1/10 pan was not made for indoor racing! For you guys that are new to this type of racing 235 mm racing was to fast to be raced indoors.

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Suspended

Quote:
We started racing 1/10 pan in the parking lot in the 90's that was the only place you could race them. 1/10 pan was not made for indoor racing! For you guys that are new to this type of racing 235 mm racing was to fast to be raced indoors.
That was, in-part, the whole reason 1/12th scale went 4-cell - and all the "new" 1/10th scale pan car designs are as well (and keeping them inside 200mm).
RocketRob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRob40 View Post
That was, in-part, the whole reason 1/12th scale went 4-cell - and all the "new" 1/10th scale pan car designs are as well (and keeping them inside 200mm).
Well I think this would be a perfict chance for 1/10 pan to be introduced as a perfict chassis for parking lot racing.

ARC, LRP Go Blue!!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Yup! I used to run my trusty Bolink Eliminator 10 in a parking lot.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to goodtunes1978 Send a message via MSN to goodtunes1978 Send a message via Yahoo to goodtunes1978

parking lot huh

thats how we roll in flagstaff ahahahahha

goodtunes1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Syndrome: Im not a Broncos fan, but that would be awesome to race there (it is a good looking stadium). Consider your self lucky