R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-31-2003, 05:31 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

when you change to a different spur and pinion i think you will notice more of an effect on handling then you will on acceleration and deflection of the teeth. i wouldnt worry about it to much.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:58 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by spaz456
when you change to a different spur and pinion i think you will notice more of an effect on handling then you will on acceleration and deflection of the teeth. i wouldnt worry about it to much.
i think to notice handling difference you will need a very good driver or a very drastic change (i.e. tires)

but when it comes to acceleration, its very easy to look & feel... least thats the case for me
versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:31 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Im2lazy
Again, I don't race electric, but a heavier pinion that would slightly increase driveline inertia would a llow a person to get more off the throttle and coast more around a turn allowing the capacitor to more effectively store energy and allowing the car's runtime to be slightly longer... a great concern for 1/12 onroad mod with 8 minute races. A theory, but, when you get a pro's setup and see something bizarre like this, you don't always get the comment from the racer that rationalizes such strange equipment choice.

And I totally agree with WC's last comment.
Any juice saved with off throttle coasting would pretty much be canceled out when he steps on the gas again. It takes more effort to get a heavy pinion moving then it does a light pinion. I doubt Masami has much of a problem with run time, he's a world champion which pretty much garantee's equipment wise that he's getting the best of the best.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:50 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by versa
i think to notice handling difference you will need a very good driver or a very drastic change (i.e. tires)

but when it comes to acceleration, its very easy to look & feel... least thats the case for me
with this gear change the acceleration difference will be very little if any so it would take a very good driver to notice this also. i cant see there being any advantage to running a smaller spur and pinion combo over a larger pair. other than spool up time possibly. i wouldnt worry about it so much as the motor placement in the chassis.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:37 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Default Minute differences

Guys;

I agree with 'WC'.
Your going to see a bigger difference in performance by using less or a lighter weight paint than you would with the gearing suggested in the original post.

That last second re-peak makes a bigger difference. Watch the fast Guys and see when they pull their pack off the charger.

You could probably gain more from adjusting the wheelbase to keep the CVD's straighter.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:20 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Basically, there's no doubt about that the ligther the drivetrain is (lower rotating mass), the more acceleration you'll get.

However, both the diameter of a pinon and the weight of a pinion is pretty small, so the advantages will be very small, compared to what can be gained elsewhere.

When it's about building up inertia in the drivetrain, I dont know in which cases it might be an advantage. I dont think it'll be an advantage to a touring car, at least I've never heard of any examples. There's a reason for making wheels of lightweight plastic instead of hardend steel

Gear mesh might be an issue, I believe that larger pinons and spurs have a smoother mesh. But again, I think the differences is pretty small compared to what can be gained elsewhere.

Weight distribution makes a huge difference. The motor represents 10% of the cars total running weight. So a movement front/rear of 5 mm, will make quite an impact on the handling while entering and leaving corners. Not to mention, that the armature is the single component, that by far represents the heaviest rotating part in the car. This also influence the handling, when it's about front/rear weight transfer. Thus the placement of the motor gets even more important.

If you're looking for pure acceleration, you might be interested in turning your TC into a regular dragster. However, depending on how drastic you're doing it, it will probably not be legal at a TC track.

If you're racing on a track, it's more important with a good setup, that suits both your car, the track and you as a driver.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 08-01-2003 at 06:29 AM.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote