R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Anyone balance premounted tires/wheels?

Anyone balance premounted tires/wheels? I decided to try balancing my fronts on the RC12L4 when I got some new bearings. The front axles made it pretty easy. I guess I wasn't suprised when some of them came out requiring about .2 gram to balance. I thought I noticed a subtle smoothing of the front end during practice.

I got the Top Flight magnetic prop balancer for the rears today and am playing with it.

I know it's overkill but interesting no matter.

Does anyone else do this/care?

Last edited by boscoj; 05-08-2008 at 07:10 PM.
boscoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I did it for a while with premount rubber tires. It did seem to smooth things out but with a lot of the tires, they were so far off, you had to add so much weight it was ridiculous. It actually threw off the balance of the car and was way over weight. It wasn't really worth it with rubber TC tires.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
Tech Adept

On TC, I'm 1/12th with a t-bar . . . did you ever try to remove weight?

How were you balancing them ?

I'm thinking of putting some ceramic bearings on the ends of the spindle . . .

btw I like that a member with 9K + posts chimed in on this one . . .
boscoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I only have that many posts because for 4 years, I had a job where I sat in front of a computer and had a very slow sales territory.

I never removed weight. TC wheels (especially the ones that premounts were coming on at the time) weren't the strongest in the world so taking material away could make it worse. Plus for major races, (the only times I every really bothered with balancing) you're not usually allowed to modify the wheels on premounts. You can't even open up the air hole to get more air flow inside the tire. So adding is the only option. I used lead tape and I also tried modeling clay too. It just took so much time to get it just right and added so much weight, it wasn't worth it. I never bothered with it on my 1/12 scale or TC foams because your tires loose material through a run anyways so your balance point will possibly change through the life of the tire as it wears.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:51 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I started a thread about this sort of thing a while back.
as i noticed when holding the car a giving it some throttle it shaked with the out of balance wheels and tyres.
I think if your a real good driver who rarely crashes it would be worth the effort.
IN the event of a good hit into the boards all the hard work will go to waste.
the wheel on that corner of the crash may take the all the brunt of the impact throwing out all the balance and hard work you have done.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Default Worth or not

I just started to balance tires and pre-roll them in a Much more device, dedicated to clamp and turn the TC rubber tires (very similar to the ones used to trim the foam tires).

My experience confirm everythig that was written on this forum, but:

1 - If you are racing in BIG tracks with 3,5T brushless motors and high speeds it is worth to balance the tires.

2 - To balance the tires is only interesting if you get like 3 sets of equal tires and (if pre glued) make one set of them by choosing the 4 more balanced and then finally balance them to one acceptable level.

3 - If you can glue tires (even with the same components of the control/pre glued ones) , using 2 rubber rings by tire + weight previously the rims, tires and inserts to assure they weight each the same) they will be 90% balanced.

4 - Before balancing I allways put them in this "turning/spinning" machine and sand them with 200 0r 300 sand paperwith a flat block.
Purpose: A) to sructure the surface for better tire conditioner/additive in this so important first run - where everybody is on fresh tires
B) so "help" the tire getting trully round
C) to give the tire/insert a "shake down" before balancing.

thanks in advance for all the information / experience on this subject

DrCy
Drcy is offline   Reply With Quote