R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default how to balance TC

how do i balance my tc using 4 digital scales and what steps do i take to do so
e.g. do i need to preload all 4 corners before i place the car on the scales, can i adjust the weight using the shock collar or should i ad weight to the corners of the chassis

any info on how to do this the correct way is much appriciated
bigl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigl View Post
how do i balance my tc using 4 digital scales and what steps do i take to do so
e.g. do i need to preload all 4 corners before i place the car on the scales, can i adjust the weight using the shock collar or should i ad weight to the corners of the chassis

any info on how to do this the correct way is much appriciated
i use these
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I tried it using 4 scales and found myself getting frustrated for a while. I kept getting different readings. I was told to disconnect the shocks and let the chassis rest on the suspension. I tried that and felt a bit more comfortable. I think the scales really narrow down the balancing. With the scales the slightest differance in battery weight, battery bars, or even where you route your wires changes the scale reading drasticly.

Then I tried the hudy balancers like the ones shown by Marcos and my car was balanced. If the hudy tools works for everyone else then that is fine.

When I changed over to Brushless my car was way off balance and to this day I am still trying to use the Hudy Balancers only.

I have since sold my scales here on RCTech. They work but it takes longer to get it done.

Do not adjust by changing the preload because the car would still be out of balance. That would help for tweak only. To balance try moving electronics from one side to the other or adding weight.

Just keep in mind that the scales must be on a perfectly flat surface and that the chassis is not tweaked before you start. Otherwise your time spent on balancing was to no avail. Hope this helps.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer View Post
Just keep in mind that the scales must be on a perfectly flat surface and that the chassis is not tweaked before you start. Otherwise your time spent on balancing was to no avail. Hope this helps.
I would think that altering your weight distribution would effect your tweak setting though. Wouldn't it be easiest to simply turn your shock collars all the way up (car is most lowered), then place it on the scales to balance? Then once you add weights to balance properly, you could easily set ride-height and tweak...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer View Post
Also, another important step is not just to make sure surface is flat, but dead LEVEL when using scales. If you dont level the surface it will give you different results.
I worry mosty about left to right using 2 scales. I cut (2) 1 x 2 boards that are same length and place 1 on each scale. Turn the scales on and zero them so you only weight the car. Place car on scales and check left to right scales. Write or note the weights THEN turn car 180 degrees and check again. This will confirm correct reading, and prove that surface is level and flat if numbers repeat.
As far as shock collar adjusting goes, just make sure all 4 corners have the same ride hieght before weighting.

I've balanced quite a few cars this way and numbers are confirmed back to balance posts spot on.

The advantage to scales is you get a more direct reading that tells you how much more weight to add, and you can see the effects that weight movement makes.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
As far as shock collar adjusting goes, just make sure all 4 corners have the same ride hieght before weighting.
But ride height directly depends on the weight distribution of the car. Wouldn't you just want to make sure the shock collars are on the same thread from left to right? I would think this would make your car level AFTER the balancing (which is what you want to achieve)...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

you must balance your car with weight adjustments using tools like marcos showed, or seting up your scale system to only weigh the vehicle at points not supported by shocks as that will be affected by tweak... if your car has more weight on one side and you simply compensate by preloading shocks, your gonna get some funny results...

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
But ride height directly depends on the weight distribution of the car. Wouldn't you just want to make sure the shock collars are on the same thread from left to right? I would think this would make your car level AFTER the balancing (which is what you want to achieve)...
There are several vaiables to setting the collar lengths the same and the effects on the chassis. Spring length, coil pitch and thickness variance, shock build including including rod end length, all play a part in where the car will sit. If the chassis is not parallel to the scales to start (ride height), then the scales will give indirect and skewed readings because the weight is "leaning" a certain direction.

Bottom line, balance, re adjust ride height then check again, and you'll be as close as anyone could ever tell without using a scale to know.

As posted before, myself and others have checked back to beams and this is spot on. If you have enough tweak in the chassis to throw balance or any other adjustment out that far, it goes without saying that should be fixed prior to dialing in final setup...balance included.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote