R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2003, 10:49 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
Accord-This is very interesting to us. We just ran the OnRoad Nationals (2x4 pine boards bolted to ground) on this wheel and tire combo with just 1 rim failure out of 600+ sets sold there. The driver that broke the wheel also destroyed his car in the process. We have also run a state race at TQ Hobby in Orlando (PVC pipe) with no problems.

The decision to go to a stiffer Dish rim was entirely the result of racer feedback. The 15 spokes would get wobbly if you hit a wall and could be slightly out of round when new. The new dish rims are super true and never get knocked out of true.

We'll all see how the wheels hold up at the MDI State race in 3 weeks.
The problems that I and many other racers are experiencing with the new dish wheels are because they are so stiff to the point where they do not get out of true, which is very good, but the downside to this is they are so stiff and cannot absorb hard impacts and instead they just flat out crack or rip clean off your car.

They are performance wheels no doubt, but they aren't durable at all.

There used to be a company (I forgot who) that produced dish wheels which were just as stiff as the new take off dish wheels, but they had three very long and thin tear drop shapes in them which kept them from cracking on impact but they still remained just as stiff all the time and never came out of true.

I have attached two pictures of some of the wheels that I cracked:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00787.jpg (58.2 KB, 130 views)
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:49 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Picture 2:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00788.jpg (58.5 KB, 133 views)
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
There used to be a company (I forgot who) that produced dish wheels which were just as stiff as the new take off dish wheels, but they had three very long and thin tear drop shapes in them which kept them from cracking on impact but they still remained just as stiff all the time and never came out of true.
Echo is who you are thinking of, I still have a few of their 2mm offset rims. Good product, never had one break.

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
I have attached two pictures of some of the wheels that I cracked: [/B]
Nasty! I've cracked rims before, but not that bad, ouch!
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:37 PM   #19
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I've seen two different dish wheels used depending on who imports thems I guess.The set of pre-mount 27's I have are from a canadain importer(Magna Tech?) and were mounted to SpeedMind wheels(clearly imbossed in face of wheel).I'm not sure on what Schumacher is using for rims but the ones I seen look just like thewheels that Accord broke out.Also note,my LHS recieved a Schumacher order that had both pre mounts and bare wheels....the Schumacher (rev-lite) wheels are not the same wheel as used in the pre-mounts from what I've seen.
Lowrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 12:26 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Boy, you guys just helped me make up my mind to mount my own take offs on the new Yok dish rims. Thanks!
Luckyman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The only reason I would run takeoffs is sometimes I'm lazy and dont want to glue rims/tires,If I'm going to THAT much trouble I would use Yokomo rims and Sorex tires with Hpi inserts.On the tracks that I race at Sorex tires just hold up alot longer and have better traction..but its nice that takeoff is now available with a dish rim.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote