Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TB Evolution V MS >

Tamiya TB Evolution V MS

Tamiya TB Evolution V MS

Reply

Old 04-01-2009, 03:32 PM
  #76  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Adam? View Post
Have you run it indoors at all? What do you think of the car's build and such?
Not yet. Oval race all weekend then Easter so it might be a couple weeks. The build went well. The only issue I had was that the bearings for the quick change assembly were getting pinched by an aluminum piece that goes over the top of it (and then covered by the upper brace). I had to grind away some material from it to get the shaft assembly to spin freely. There are a lot of shims used throughout the car which is fine until I lose some then it might get kinda annoying. As stated above gearing is a little difficult for 17.5. I ended up shimming the upper brace up a couple mm and then it wasn't an issue.

The drivetrain is VERY smooth. You spin the tires and they just keep spinning. Im guessing that allows slightly more aggressive gearing due to the effeciency of the drivetrain. Should help out on large outdoor tracks. Balancing the chassis is a lot easier. The PPD billet bottom plate (which fits fine) is more then enough by itself to balance the chassis (in fact it will be a little heavy to the battery side depending on your electronics).

Parma T2 hard bumper fit fine so should save parts.

The axles seem to stick out kinda far from the tire. Does the 416 do that too?
or8ital is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
  #77  
Tech Addict
 
Adam?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ohhh, that guy...
Posts: 639
Default

Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Not yet. Oval race all weekend then Easter so it might be a couple weeks. The build went well. The only issue I had was that the bearings for the quick change assembly were getting pinched by an aluminum piece that goes over the top of it (and then covered by the upper brace). I had to grind away some material from it to get the shaft assembly to spin freely. There are a lot of shims used throughout the car which is fine until I lose some then it might get kinda annoying. As stated above gearing is a little difficult for 17.5. I ended up shimming the upper brace up a couple mm and then it wasn't an issue.

The drivetrain is VERY smooth. You spin the tires and they just keep spinning. Im guessing that allows slightly more aggressive gearing due to the effeciency of the drivetrain. Should help out on large outdoor tracks. Balancing the chassis is a lot easier. The PPD billet bottom plate (which fits fine) is more then enough by itself to balance the chassis (in fact it will be a little heavy to the battery side depending on your electronics).

Parma T2 hard bumper fit fine so should save parts.

The axles seem to stick out kinda far from the tire. Does the 416 do that too?
Yeah, I suppose a bit. I imagine it's the same between the two cars since they share the same suspension.
Adam? is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:32 PM
  #78  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Adam? View Post
Have you run it indoors at all? What do you think of the car's build and such?
Adam, the carpet track is opening soon here in socal.. then ill be able to try the evoV MS on it. ill post here.

orbital.. odd you had to dremel (quick change assembly)... mine dropped right in. at first it was binding.... rechecked the instructions..and the bearing wasn't sitting right. once you push the bearing in the right direction, the top piece will drop right in.
Hebiki is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
  #79  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
Adam, the carpet track is opening soon here in socal.. then ill be able to try the evoV MS on it. ill post here.

orbital.. odd you had to dremel (quick change assembly)... mine dropped right in. at first it was binding.... rechecked the instructions..and the bearing wasn't sitting right. once you push the bearing in the right direction, the top piece will drop right in.
Yeah I pushed the bearing as far as it would go. It wasnt very much material (maybe .2mm) that I had to remove but it just wouldnt drop in cleanly. It was driving me crazy trying to figure it out. I tried to get it with just adjusting shims but it just wasn't moving the bearing enough to get the piece to drop in. I did switch out all my bearings for ceramic so there is a chance that bearing was slightly larger then the standard tamiya bearing depending on the QC of the bearings.
or8ital is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:28 PM
  #80  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Yeah I pushed the bearing as far as it would go. It wasnt very much material (maybe .2mm) that I had to remove but it just wouldnt drop in cleanly. It was driving me crazy trying to figure it out. I tried to get it with just adjusting shims but it just wasn't moving the bearing enough to get the piece to drop in. I did switch out all my bearings for ceramic so there is a chance that bearing was slightly larger then the standard tamiya bearing depending on the QC of the bearings.
good to know if i ever get ceramics for this badboy.... what ceramics (brand) are you using?
Hebiki is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:20 PM
  #81  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
good to know if i ever get ceramics for this badboy.... what ceramics (brand) are you using?
I'm using APS. I've always had good luck with them but I had to order them all separately. They don't have a kit for them. I did have a problem with this batch though. 2 of the bearings they sent me weren't really ceramic. They are suppose to replace them but I've been waiting a couple weeks for them.

Qty 4 10X15X4mm - Part # APS1015CS
Qty 3 6X10X3mm - Part # APS610CS
Qty 10 5X10X4mm - Part # APS510CS
Qty 1 5X8X2.5mm - Part # APS58CS
or8ital is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 PM
  #82  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (14)
 
zizgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default gear ratio for my TB05 MS

Need advice....

What is the best ratio for my cars if im using 12T brushed and 8T brushed. Im still new in EP and still learning about all off this.

AT my local track we had about 100 meter street line and 7 to 8 cornering line.. Mostly GP geng was playing there. I just want to try to use they layout.

My car running with spool for front. And right now im using 98P spur. What the best ratio should i try..

im was burn my 9T brushed because wrong ratio select ... so hope those out there can gv some advice.
zizgp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
  #83  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (67)
 
SRBMOJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ORANGE CO., CA
Posts: 977
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Mine is on a UPS truck headed my way!
SRBMOJO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM
  #84  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

The bandwagon is growing! Hopefully we can get some good dialog going in this thread.
or8ital is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM
  #85  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (67)
 
SRBMOJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ORANGE CO., CA
Posts: 977
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Ordered mine from Tower, paid $377 shipped using my $60 off $300 order coupon. I must have bough the last one from them, now it says it is discontinued. Tamiya is prob. coming out with a Evo 6 soon!
SRBMOJO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:17 AM
  #86  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

I had the same concern so I emailed Tamiya USA and they said it wasn't being discontinued even though stock is getting hard to get. I suspect Tower is just getting out of carrying Tamiya high end kits (or maybe all??). I've heard Tamiya is very difficult to deal with.
or8ital is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 PM
  #87  
Tech Master
iTrader: (98)
 
mickrcarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Marietta Ohio
Posts: 1,468
Trader Rating: 98 (98%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SRBMOJO View Post
Ordered mine from Tower, paid $377 shipped using my $60 off $300 order coupon. I must have bough the last one from them, now it says it is discontinued. Tamiya is prob. coming out with a Evo 6 soon!
soon my freind soon
mickrcarver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 PM
  #88  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mickrcarver View Post
soon my freind soon
If so, then Tamiya USA will have some 'splaining to do! This was in my response to if the car was or is going to be discontinued soon.

Dear Tamiya Customer,
The TB Evo 5 MS is not discontinued, just out-of-stock at this time, but
unfortunately I have no information when it will be in stock again.
Tamiya America
Customer Service
or8ital is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM
  #89  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,919
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SRBMOJO View Post
Ordered mine from Tower, paid $377 shipped using my $60 off $300 order coupon. I must have bough the last one from them, now it says it is discontinued. Tamiya is prob. coming out with a Evo 6 soon!
you ordered an evoV MS? or just an evoV?
Hebiki is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:03 PM
  #90  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
you ordered an evoV MS? or just an evoV?
Im guessing the Evo V MS. I think Tower marked it down to $430 for a bit.
or8ital is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service