Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temporary sealant needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 AM
Tech Champion

Default Temporary sealant needed

Hey everyone...thought I would bounce this off you people and see if anyone has any ideas. We have a track where the seal coat is wearing off. We spray the track every race day with sugar water for grip but probably 2/3rds t 3/4ths of the track the asphalt just absorbs it because the seal coat has worn off. So we get good grip in a few select places...and pretty poor grip everywhere else. For reasons we don't need to get into right now...we really can't put down a new layer of seal coat. We need a temporary solution. So can any of you think of something else we can spray down before the sugar water so that it doesn't just get absorbed? Or maybe something that can substitute for a seal coat for a few races.

Ideas?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...wonder if something like THOMPSON'S Water Seal would work...
Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Car underbody sealant, maybe not the fish oil type (or maybe that's even better for longer lasting)? Might get exxy though.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Try VHT Track Bite Compound it will give you more than enough traction. You can find it at your local speed shop.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

We thought about VHT...but the track is outdoors in a park area so there are a lot of leaves and stuff blowing around. We're concerned that it will get a lot of stuff stuck to the track. Also it is pretty hard to find in Hawaii since we have no full sized car track out here and most places don't like to bring it in because it ships hazmat.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

I really appreciate the suggestions guys...please keep it up. I'll be looking into several things trying to figure this out.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What formula are you spraying with now, and how many gallons of it are you using?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Are you using sugar and water or grape/orange soda? I used to use orange soda and it worked better than sugar water. Also used a mixture of corn syrup and water but for some reason orange soda always worked better and lasted longer.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

We are using 1 gallon of strawberry punch syrup to 4 gallons of water. We have a cart with 2 of the large water cooler bottles hooked up to a pump and 2 spray nozzles. All in all we go through 20 gallons of mixture to coat our 120'x75' track. We've tried various sodas and found they just don't work as well. If we increase the amount we use or strengthen the mixture then we start having issues where the cars come off the track with sugar glazed tires.

I was kind of thinking on a more household product that could be sprayed down right before the sugar water to keep it from soaking in rather than an alternative sealant. But I can't think of anything that would work.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Hey everyone...thought I would bounce this off you people and see if anyone has any ideas. We have a track where the seal coat is wearing off. We spray the track every race day with sugar water for grip but probably 2/3rds t 3/4ths of the track the asphalt just absorbs it because the seal coat has worn off. So we get good grip in a few select places...and pretty poor grip everywhere else. For reasons we don't need to get into right now...we really can't put down a new layer of seal coat. We need a temporary solution. So can any of you think of something else we can spray down before the sugar water so that it doesn't just get absorbed? Or maybe something that can substitute for a seal coat for a few races.

Ideas?
We use a 100% Acrylic exterior house paint (black) with play sand mixed into the paint.

First, Pressure clean the track and apply to the surface with rollers.
There will be no need for sugar water mix again.

Works great.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech
We use a 100% Acrylic exterior house paint (black) with play sand mixed into the paint.

First, Pressure clean the track and apply to the surface with rollers.
There will be no need for sugar water mix again.

Works great.
I was wondering if a paint and sand type mixture would work...That sounds relatively inexpensive and might be worth a try. What ratio of sand to paint did you use? Have you tested it with foam tire cars like 1/12th and WGT? Also the track is open to the public on non-race days...will the hard drift tires mess it up if they run on it?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I was wondering if a paint and sand type mixture would work...That sounds relatively inexpensive and might be worth a try. What ratio of sand to paint did you use? Have you tested it with foam tire cars like 1/12th and WGT? Also the track is open to the public on non-race days...will the hard drift tires mess it up if they run on it?
It works very well.
We did it about 6 years ago at MTR in a park on one basketball court.

We used foam tires and rubber the traction was awesome.

We mixed the paint in a new 32 gal plastic container with a few bags of play sand.
Used a drill and a paint mixing tool.
And used paint rollers.

You can't mess the surface up.
The sand finished is encapsulated into the paint surface.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Future floor polish
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if paint is an option, you can get drive way sealer for at about $20 a 5 gal bucket vs $90 for a 5 gal bucket for latex paint.
Each bucket covers about 350 square feet.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dun4sho
Future floor polish
That's an interesting idea...I think that would temporarily seal the pores in the asphalt...but I'm not sure the sugar water would stick on top and might be more slippery. But this is more along the lines of what I was hoping to do until we could put down a proper sealant.

Originally Posted by Jorge T
if paint is an option, you can get drive way sealer for at about $20 a 5 gal bucket vs $90 for a 5 gal bucket for latex paint.
Each bucket covers about 350 square feet.
That is definitely more affordable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.