R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #481
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Timing advance is really only something you need in onroad. I have been racing against timing advance guys for a while in offroad and don't feel at a disadvantage at all. When I had my 12th scale though a totally different feeling. Wish I had it.

I know losi is looking into new stuff including timing advance as they are always in develpment but nothing I know of that is imminent. In the mean time I am still extremely please with my xcelorin equipment in my offroad cars.

OR if you have an offroad track with a long straight away. Useful in both applications.
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #482
CL
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
I was able to adjust the timing on my Losi 17.5 motor, but the timing ring has a tendency to "stick" on newer motors. I freed the timing ring by running a fresh X-Acto blade CAREFULLY between the motor can and the timing ring.
Good advice. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #483
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Furman View Post
OR if you have an offroad track with a long straight away. Useful in both applications.
Our local indoor tracks have 100+ straights and a track here for large events on blue groove has a 100+ ft straight. In SS I don't feel I am out motored until the very end but my cars get up to speed faster it seems so what I gain at the beginning I just give up at the end. Only in stock did I feel I was giving up something and it was not much at all on the Blue groove track. I made it all up in the infield though. Again in offroad I have just not seen a definate advantage of the advance timing in offroad.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups

Last edited by Casper; 12-14-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #484
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah... totally agree with timing not mattering much in offroad... The Xcelorin for onroad TC 10.5 lacks a lot in the 'punch' department, and brakes are also sadly lacking.
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #485
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrxs-r View Post
Yeah... totally agree with timing not mattering much in offroad... The Xcelorin for onroad TC 10.5 lacks a lot in the 'punch' department, and brakes are also sadly lacking.
I am assuming you have the initial punch setting to high? Never used one in a TC and I see how hard you guys brake at times but I feel the system has more then adaquate brakes. It is also one of the punchiest speedos I have seen and have had other comment on this as well.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #486
Tech Elite

Quote:
I am assuming you have the initial punch setting to high? Never used one in a TC and I see how hard you guys brake at times but I feel the system has more then adaquate brakes. It is also one of the punchiest speedos I have seen and have had other comment on this as well.

Tekin RS, AE black diamond and Castle Creations MMX Pro have way more punch... Even the newer LRP SXX. You can tell in on-road.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #487
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think Losi has given up any development on the system.And anything onroad.
Been a loyal Losi fan since the jrx 2 but also run onroad--not enough market in onroad i guess to make it worthwhile.It still is a good speedo--just not a "fast"one.
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #488
Tech Prophet

I know losi is always looking at the next hot thing so don't think they have given up just yet. I will agree for onroad the Xcelorin system is not the fastest out there but for offroad it is a good as anything else out there.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #489
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii

Guess I should pull it off my Type R before it even hits the track and put it in my drifter and find something else like and SP or dear I say it Tekin (with a laptop) jk
TLR 22 2.0
"ELECTRIFIED TO THE HILT"
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #490
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
I have set the punch settings to as high as they go... but still lack quite a bit. Brakes are ok running stock, but in 10.5 on a small carpet/rubber track, they are not adequate. On a larger outdoor asphalt track, the brakes fade quite badly after about 2-3min.
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #491
Tech Elite

boy this thread is dead.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #492
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

seeing as the guy who worked on the software for the xcelorin is not with losi anymore, what do you expect? All esc development is software driven now. I still use an xcelorin in my 4wd mod buggy and it works fine but I wouldn't dare put in into anything I'm running a spec motor.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #493
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
seeing as the guy who worked on the software for the xcelorin is not with losi anymore, what do you expect? All esc development is software driven now. I still use an xcelorin in my 4wd mod buggy and it works fine but I wouldn't dare put in into anything I'm running a spec motor.
I talked to him not long after he left too and he said they were really not that far away with a firmware update to get a turbo feature in it. I am guessing they are just done with it and on to sell the next toy.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #494
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
I talked to him not long after he left too and he said they were really not that far away with a firmware update to get a turbo feature in it. I am guessing they are just done with it and on to sell the next toy.

Was he let go or left on his own? Losi is still advertising their systems which is surprising.

Last edited by Chris Furman; 01-02-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #495
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default motor

Hello all I have a credit with horizon and need a 8.5 motor how well do the mod motors run ? i will be running it in a tamiya 501x 4wd buggy on a KO 1.0esc..