R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #391
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

sounds like u might be undergeared, i gear my truck around 6.2 FDR, i have an mf2 which has a different ratio gearbox, but im running 29/70, and the theory is, a 5000mah 20c pack will have more than enough punch than the 17.5 could pull, maybe do a discharge test on the pack, i just set mine up on a 20amp discharge on my cdc and check the voltage every 30sec and stop after 5 mins, you just want to see what voltage its putting out for the 5 mins, after 9 months, maybe its dropped a bit of performance, i use trakpower packs, so i dont know how the losi ones go over time.
Bathurst Vintage Enduro - 17th March, 2018 - 1st round of the NSW Vintage enduro Championship
NOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #392
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFX View Post
sounds like u might be undergeared, i gear my truck around 6.2 FDR, i have an mf2 which has a different ratio gearbox, but im running 29/70, and the theory is, a 5000mah 20c pack will have more than enough punch than the 17.5 could pull, maybe do a discharge test on the pack, i just set mine up on a 20amp discharge on my cdc and check the voltage every 30sec and stop after 5 mins, you just want to see what voltage its putting out for the 5 mins, after 9 months, maybe its dropped a bit of performance, i use trakpower packs, so i dont know how the losi ones go over time.
Thanks for the help. I geared it for a 7.6 FDR as the book suggests which is 26/82 for the CR and then took it down to 25/82 to see if it would make a bit punchier but no success. Would you suggest perhaps going for 27/82 or so?
DazRCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #393
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazRCrazy View Post
Thanks for the help. I geared it for a 7.6 FDR as the book suggests which is 26/82 for the CR and then took it down to 25/82 to see if it would make a bit punchier but no success. Would you suggest perhaps going for 27/82 or so?
If you want to get to 6.2, you'll need a 32 pinion with that spur, i suggest putting the smallest spur you can get for the CR which i think is the 78 tooth, and run a 30 tooth, (keep in mind how much bigger the pinions are, you'll need to make sure you can move the motor back far enough to allow you to put the pinion on the motor, from my reading, i think the 78/30 combo will fit in the truck) an undergeared 17.5 will feel "unpunchy" and you will have a poor top speed, i'd imagine if there is a long straight, you will be getting passed easily, if its a shorter track, you could gear it a bit lower, but 6.2 is the best ratio i've come across for the truck, but you will have options, if the motor is running hot, you can then go from the 78/30, change back to the 82 spur and try 82/30, always check temps when changing gearing, especially when you're on the upper edge of the gearing (which 6.2 is) if you are running it in practise, check it after 2 mins, if its way hot (over 150 F) then you're too high, if its ok (130F or lower), then run for another 4 mins and check temps again, after a 5 min race, you want it around 145F, if you're into the 150's thats borderline over geared, 160+, too high, drop it down, other options include running a fan using the mount that comes with the CR, though the fans dont last long, or try finding a way to run a heat sink on the motor, i run one on mine
Bathurst Vintage Enduro - 17th March, 2018 - 1st round of the NSW Vintage enduro Championship
Old 02-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #394
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to metalracer2

Quote:
If you want to get to 6.2, you'll need a 32 pinion with that spur, i suggest putting the smallest spur you can get for the CR which i think is the 78 tooth, and run a 30 tooth, (keep in mind how much bigger the pinions are, you'll need to make sure you can move the motor back far enough to allow you to put the pinion on the motor, from my reading, i think the 78/30 combo will fit in the truck) an undergeared 17.5 will feel "unpunchy" and you will have a poor top speed, i'd imagine if there is a long straight, you will be getting passed easily, if its a shorter track, you could gear it a bit lower, but 6.2 is the best ratio i've come across for the truck, but you will have options, if the motor is running hot, you can then go from the 78/30, change back to the 82 spur and try 82/30, always check temps when changing gearing, especially when you're on the upper edge of the gearing (which 6.2 is) if you are running it in practise, check it after 2 mins, if its way hot (over 150 F) then you're too high, if its ok (130F or lower), then run for another 4 mins and check temps again, after a 5 min race, you want it around 145F, if you're into the 150's thats borderline over geared, 160+, too high, drop it down, other options include running a fan using the mount that comes with the CR, though the fans dont last long, or try finding a way to run a heat sink on the motor, i run one on mine
losi makes a 76 spur it is black and i belive it was used in the xx4 kit
that is the smallest one i think thay make
AE B4.1W AE T4.1
metalracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #395
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Thnks for the help. I am going to play around with the gearing and start with your suggestion and take it from there. Last weekend I couldn't keep up with the guys running brushed motors so I was a bit worried about this 17.5 but I am feeling a little bit more confident that we can get it running properly.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2009, 04:48 AM   #396
Tech Elite

no worries, good luck with it, greared right, the 17.5 should be as quick as the brushed motors, let us know how it goes
Old 02-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #397
Tech Apprentice

Default Problems with new Xcelorin-S system

I got a new Xcelorin-S 17.5T combo system a couple of days ago, and I've run into a problem. Yesterday, I installed the v2.0 setup software, and downloaded the latest v2.8 ESC firmware. I connected the ESC to the computer OK, updated the firmware successfully, and set up profiles 4 & 5 with some settings. I used the system for the first time at my local club last night, in a Tamiya M03, and it ran OK. Today, I've attempted to connect the ESC to the computer to change some settings, but the setup software just won't detect the ESC anymore, the status icon stays red.

I've uninstalled & reinstalled the setup software on my PC, tried it on my laptop (both are running Windows XP Pro), tried a different USB cable, and whilst the USB device is detected fine with a green status icon & green LED on the unit itself, the ESC still can't be seen at all. The fan on the ESC spins, and the blue LED is on, so it is getting power from the USB connection. I am doing everything exactly the same as I did yesterday when the ESC was detected OK, so I'm struggling to understands whats wrong now.

Is there a particular order that the program/USB device/ESC need to be connected/started up? Is it possible that the ESC has become faulty already? If I can't access the ESC's settings anymore, then I guess I'll have to send it back for repair/replacement/refund.

-----------------------------

I've now contacted the supplier, and will be returning the system next week.

Last edited by Toon; 02-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #398
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

i downloaded the 2.0 set up version for the esc and have encountered problems. when i put the 2.5 firmware on the esc all works fine. when i install the version 28 it installs fine, the esc and usb lights are green, but i get a read error 2010??? and it will not read the esc settings?? what gives? thanks
cleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #399
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

oopsy.. nevermind, i figured it out
cleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #400
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleblanc View Post
i downloaded the 2.0 set up version for the esc and have encountered problems. when i put the 2.5 firmware on the esc all works fine. when i install the version 28 it installs fine, the esc and usb lights are green, but i get a read error 2010??? and it will not read the esc settings?? what gives? thanks
Error 2010 is documented in the instructions and expected during the update.

The introduction of the new profiles and remapping of memory cause this. Only during the upgrade - after you acknowledge the error go to the commands and select "restore to factory defaults" this will remap and setup parameters corectly and your good to go.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #401
Tech Rookie

Quote:
no worries, good luck with it, greared right, the 17.5 should be as quick as the brushed motors, let us know how it goes
Thanks your advice was spot on. I have it geared 29/78 and temp after 5 min is around 150 and the car is feeling much better. I raced yesterday and was very competitive once again. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #402
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Im running a 17.5 in my Mf2 and its great. Very competive, I can make all the jumps the mod guys can. Im running 76/33 gearing and its running way cool, even after back to back heats.
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #403
Tech Champion

My xcelorin is a little loud, really fast, but kinda has a turbine noise compared to my other setup (Tekin). Anyone else notice this? Almost sounds like tight gear mesh. Both 17.5 & 13.5 motors are the same.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #404
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame56mx View Post
My xcelorin is a little loud, really fast, but kinda has a turbine noise compared to my other setup (Tekin). Anyone else notice this? Almost sounds like tight gear mesh. Both 17.5 & 13.5 motors are the same.
That tight gear mesh sound with a brushless setup is typically a result of too much timing. It's the motor cogging. Try some different timing settings. Drop the timing down unitl the cogging goes away. Then slowly turn the timing back up unitl you hear a slight amount of coggging, and once again back off 1 deg at a time unitl the cogging is gone. Hope this helps.

Three words...

Ready... Steady... Confetti!!!! (gonna need a new one of those)
SpraydbySprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #405
Tech Champion

no cogging,it works really well, 13.5 is scary fast , and no otherr issues, just noisy, kinda whiny, or wiizzes, like I said b4 sounds like a small turbine.