R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #181
Tech Rookie

I don't understand this whole sensored / sensorless thing...
Does it matter?

farmerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #182
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
can you adjust the timing on the 10.5 motor
Yes, on the Losi motor's, there is a timing ring that can be adjust to advance/retard the timing. If you are using a Losi Xcelorin Sensored speed control, than you can adjust the timing on the ESC itself and leave the motor alone.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #183
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerdan View Post
I don't understand this whole sensored / sensorless thing...
Does it matter?

It does when it comes to better control of the motors. Sensored provides information to the ESC to it can control punch, timing, and finer motor control inputs. If you are running on-road, sensored is the best way to go. Additionally, if you want to race at a track or national race that follows ROAR rules, sensored motor's are all that is legal.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #184
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
It does when it comes to better control of the motors. Sensored provides information to the ESC to it can control punch, timing, and finer motor control inputs. If you are running on-road, sensored is the best way to go. Additionally, if you want to race at a track or national race that follows ROAR rules, sensored motor's are all that is legal.
Sensored it is then! Thanks!!
farmerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #185
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes, on the Losi motor's, there is a timing ring that can be adjust to advance/retard the timing. If you are using a Losi Xcelorin Sensored speed control, than you can adjust the timing on the ESC itself and leave the motor alone.
how do you adjust this on the motor the black ring with the notches on doesn't seem to move.
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #186
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
how do you adjust this on the motor the black ring with the notches on doesn't seem to move.
Loosen the 3 screws on the cap about 1/2 turn, move the ring gently, then re-tighten the screws.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #187
Tech Regular

I have been using my 10.5 for about 1 month now and lovin it, I am not sure but I took it apart and clean it out didn't need it but I did anyway, after I did the motor seem as if it loss power, I have been on the thread and saw that there is an time ajustment on the motor did I move the timing to the retard point and if so how do I get it back to where it was? thank you.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #188
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The spec sheet for this speedo appears to indicate that it cannot be used in 4-cell applications.

Can someone confirm this one way or the other. It would be a bummer if its true....
CaliberX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #189
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramyuras View Post
I have been using my 10.5 for about 1 month now and lovin it, I am not sure but I took it apart and clean it out didn't need it but I did anyway, after I did the motor seem as if it loss power, I have been on the thread and saw that there is an time ajustment on the motor did I move the timing to the retard point and if so how do I get it back to where it was? thank you.
I would have been pretty hard to move the timing ring without knowing it, but you never know. Just loosen the screws and gently move the ring both ways, marking how far it turns in both directions, then put the timing in the middle of that. This will get you pretty close if you don't know where it is at now.

Be careful with the timing ring, do not force it too hard, you could pull the wires out of the sensor internally. The timing ring has the wires from the sensor routed through it.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #190
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliberX View Post
The spec sheet for this speedo appears to indicate that it cannot be used in 4-cell applications.

Can someone confirm this one way or the other. It would be a bummer if its true....
Your right the instructions do not mention 4Cell but I have used the sensored esc in 12th scale for a season of 10.5T racing without a problem. In mod you may need to run a power cap, or seperate battery - not certain.

i am using the optional 4cell heatsink replacement cover too

Last edited by rocketron; 07-02-2008 at 03:00 PM.
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #191
Tech Regular

Quote:
I would have been pretty hard to move the timing ring without knowing it, but you never know. Just loosen the screws and gently move the ring both ways, marking how far it turns in both directions, then put the timing in the middle of that. This will get you pretty close if you don't know where it is at now.

Be careful with the timing ring, do not force it too hard, you could pull the wires out of the sensor internally. The timing ring has the wires from the sensor routed through it.
Thank you.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 PM   #192
Tech Rookie

Default some questions on the Xcelorin S motors

Any idea if the motor rpm/v stated in the manuals are correct. They are so much lower than Novak specs.

Any idea what is the lowest turn motor that would work with a 3s lipo that would still be within the 100amp limit?
shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #193
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless View Post
Any idea if the motor rpm/v stated in the manuals are correct. They are so much lower than Novak specs.

Any idea what is the lowest turn motor that would work with a 3s lipo that would still be within the 100amp limit?

They are lower, but so are the watt ratings, i say run the car, if its geared right and it's getting beat by novak's, its true. To be honest, i havn't been beat with my 10.5 yet, low numbers on paper, preformance on track.

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #194
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless View Post
conservative comes to mind
Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 AM   #195
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketron View Post
conservative comes to mind
agreed for sure,

these motors RIP!

NNFaN Paints - Add some pride to YOUR ride.
a_main_attendee is offline   Reply With Quote