R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2001, 05:27 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default Tire Life

I just wonder how do you guys know that you need to change new set of tire? (cracking? thining? or???).

Also, for the tire insert. from Soft, medium to Firm. How do I know what kind of insert is for what kind of tracks?

And the last question is that do you guys chang the rim of the tire when you buy change to new tires? or do you guys keep the rim?
TRF-Powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 06:33 AM   #2
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

my tires usually last about 2 races before they loose the grip and start to really wear. It al depends on tire compound, and the surface you are racing on. I have a set of Sorex 36 that have no wear at all, while i have some 32's which are starting to show wear.

The wheel to me is disposable... just cut it and get the inserts out.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 08:44 AM   #3

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Troy, do you mean 2 race-days, or two races?

It depends alot on the surface you race on, some surfaces will wear out tires faster than others. I race on carpet, and if I want to, I could use the same set of tires for 8 race days, although I usually replace them every five race-days.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 09:09 AM   #4
Regional Moderator

My tires (Sorex 36R) lasts for about 10-15 packs (2 race-days)with Mod motor then their performance decreases. I'm using traction additives (Paragon FX2) every runs.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 09:20 AM   #5
Regional Moderator

with pit-d30's using a med insert i get 15-20 runs.in mod with d -35's i get 30-35 runs in mod.....and the grip is good too!..but for race i use d-30
i dont reuse my rim or insert....i find that the inserts i use get softer after use thats why i change them
mr4-malta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 09:43 AM   #6
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

ya rims are garbage after you are done with them...i will reuse inserts, if they look good...., the tire wear depends on surface, chassis setup, temp, alot of factors....i almost always use sorex 36 outdoors, i can get two, three weekends out of them in mod, and prolly 5 or six in mod, but i always have a set of new tires around, just in case.....
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 03:43 PM   #7
Tech Master

I am running tamiya's Reinforced tires. Type A is extremely weak on the track that i am running on. I'm only running a stock motor and the tire came back cracking and loosing traction on the second run.

I bought myself the Type B2 reinforce tire and run it again. And it is pretty strong and working for me gripping the road like nothing else.

I do use those traction compound at the very beginning just to give a little more protection for the tires.

Rims are pretty expensive expeically those reinforced ones from Tamiya. I don't think they are necessary though. the Wheels hardly get damaged if you don't crash it in an angle to the wheels. The wheel never get damaged.

However My rims are kinda melting (maybe not melting but just worn) on the edage were the tire are. Does this happen to you guys?
Old 08-26-2001, 06:21 PM   #8
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

2 race days... not 2 runs...

my Sorex 32's have 2 one them... maybe one left depending how they run..
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 04:01 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to anti-trx

my personal favorite is proline 1095h13 tires with green inserts. It works well on clean asphalt and smooth tracks. IT works very well on warm tracks, air temp no lower than 70 degrees. In the high temp areas, air temp 110, it wears fast and doesn't grip well. It still has lots of traction every where, and i would reccomend it. Wear rate is reat, i still have the ame set on my car that I put on in early februrary
anti-trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 04:07 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by anti-trx
my personal favorite is proline 1095h13 tires with green inserts. It works well on clean asphalt and smooth tracks. IT works very well on warm tracks, air temp no lower than 70 degrees.
Check the same tyre with Yokomo ZR37 Soft or with the blue foam that came with the tyres. The results are incredible.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 09:58 PM   #11
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

my personal fav is sorex 36 r with yok med inserts
works well on asphlat at 30-36 degrees celcius
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 10:10 PM   #12
Tech Adept

what do you guys use to clean your rubber tires????

because after a run or two, they get junk and stuff on them and don't hook up as good...........

Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 10:13 PM   #13
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I would use either motor spray or Simple Green cleaner. Just spray some on a paper towel or shop rag and then wipe it around the tire a few times.

Some guys here do it after every run or two, and definitely when they put a set of tires away after using them. It is especially necessary if you are using some sort of traction compound (like Paragon) as the tires will be eaten up by it while in storage.
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 01:28 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
what do you guys use to clean your rubber tires????

because after a run or two, they get junk and stuff on them and don't hook up as good...........

I use simple denaturalized alcohol, it wipes perfectly the dust and rests of red dot... (ummm, now I'm thinking that is the unique product of Trinity I use.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 01:42 AM   #15
Tech Master

Where did you guys get the Sorex tires that I am hearing about??? I live around L.A. area and the LHS around me don't have sorex tires.