R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #16
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

use to run purple or pink rear double purple or red on the front on pavement and had a lot of run time out of them and they didn't fall off like rubber does after 2 runs. if I didn't like chunking the tires i would run plaid which is purple with a ring of orange on the outside. kept the chunking down.

here's a good listing of colors and what to do with them.

http://www.bsr-racing.com/foam/10thscale.html
http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...article&sid=27

jaco has some stuff it's just hard to link to.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow ó never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long ó you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXY923 View Post
What Much More tires are good for asphalt?
We used the MM Absolute 32's last season at my local track, and they were really good. Still did not last as long as a RP30, but a good second choice, especially if it's hot out.

As for running nitro foams on electric, do the front specific tires work as well in electric as they do in nitro? Also, if your running the rears, won't that make the car over 190mm?

Al - let me know what you guys come up w/ this week at Jackson. I might try a set at the Bowl this week.

Pan cars and foams back again, who would have thunk it
Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Our club has been leaning more towards foams lately. We are using nitro foams on asphalt for our electric touring class. They are about $20 a set compared to about $40 for rubber, and in the 19t class, the seem to last just as long. I've run two full race days on one set, and they still have a lot of life left. In addition, I haven't chunked a tire yet (knock on wood). So overall, they are cheaper and provide a lot more traction.
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Rhodes View Post
We used the MM Absolute 32's last season at my local track, and they were really good. Still did not last as long as a RP30, but a good second choice, especially if it's hot out.

As for running nitro foams on electric, do the front specific tires work as well in electric as they do in nitro? Also, if your running the rears, won't that make the car over 190mm?

Al - let me know what you guys come up w/ this week at Jackson. I might try a set at the Bowl this week.

35 shore rears, 35 shore fronts WORK AWESOME, and wear very well. There is a sweet spot as far as diameter is concerned, and it has EVERYTHING to do with your set-up, but I can distinctly remember getting two weeks (8 runs), out of a set of 37's with no loss in performance. Nitro fronts wear like iron, and will usually give you a six packs or so more than rears. There's not a ton of chunking with nitro fronts either. They generally don't start coming off the rim untill you're running them too low. The lower traction afforded by the asphalt doesn't seem to pull the rubber off the rim at the seam like hardcore carpet racing does.

We ran on a fairly abrasive parking lot track with a huge sweeper at the end of the straight, and I thought the tire wear was excellent. 35's or 37's and Trinity Red Dot sauce with a bit of Tire Tweak mixed-in, and we were dialled. On days when the track was really dusty, we'd just add some SPF50 suntan lotion over the sauce, and we were good to go.

Go ahead and try to get some guys to try a foam class one weekend and see what ya think. I always prefer foams to rubber on any track.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Nitro foams is a misleading name they should call it asphalt compound... The fronts work good and if you need more steering just go to a softer front compound.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

This year I will run the 3.5 electric with rubber tires - first...then I have a feeling, my 42/40 shores nitro car used Ellegi foam tires is a faster and better fit for a 300'-0" 1/8th on road track....since there are no rule about mod electric....I don't think using the front tires at the back is a good idea when we can use the 30mm rear tires just like the nitro TC...

And yes...running outdoor with FOAMS if you are running MOD is a lot cheaper then rubber tires....a set of foams, $20 +/-...last at least 1 full race day (again, running MOD)...if running stock or 19T, I think running rubber tires are still more mainstream.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
This year I will run the 3.5 electric with rubber tires - first...then I have a feeling, my 42/40 shores nitro car used Ellegi foam tires is a faster and better fit for a 300'-0" 1/8th on road track....since there are no rule about mod electric....I don't think using the front tires at the back is a good idea when we can use the 30mm rear tires just like the nitro TC...

And yes...running outdoor with FOAMS if you are running MOD is a lot cheaper then rubber tires....a set of foams, $20 +/-...last at least 1 full race day (again, running MOD)...if running stock or 19T, I think running rubber tires are still more mainstream.

i didn't mean to put the front tires in the rear... I just meant that it is o.k. to use for electric on asphalt.... if it can turn a 1625 gram car I'm sure it will work even better for an electric car that weights 1525 grams...

i still like running rubber tires on my electric cars though..
Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:

the track width will not be affect wheel since the extra width was not molded out. You might want to look at GRP since they make 26mm front tires along with 26mm rears...
Old 05-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Hey guys I appreciate all the feed back....This is what we were looking for.asking other racers to see if they had success.

We will be doing some experimating this weekend

Awesomatix USA/ Side Piece Racing / TQ Wire / CR Graphics / R1 Wurks / LRP /Jackson RC Raceway / Horsham RC Raceway/Brownies Hobbies
Al Sodano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Let us know what you find out Al....
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
Old 05-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
35 shore rears, 35 shore fronts WORK AWESOME, and wear very well. There is a sweet spot as far as diameter is concerned, and it has EVERYTHING to do with your set-up, but I can distinctly remember getting two weeks (8 runs), out of a set of 37's with no loss in performance. Nitro fronts wear like iron, and will usually give you a six packs or so more than rears. There's not a ton of chunking with nitro fronts either. They generally don't start coming off the rim untill you're running them too low. The lower traction afforded by the asphalt doesn't seem to pull the rubber off the rim at the seam like hardcore carpet racing does.

We ran on a fairly abrasive parking lot track with a huge sweeper at the end of the straight, and I thought the tire wear was excellent. 35's or 37's and Trinity Red Dot sauce with a bit of Tire Tweak mixed-in, and we were dialled. On days when the track was really dusty, we'd just add some SPF50 suntan lotion over the sauce, and we were good to go.

Go ahead and try to get some guys to try a foam class one weekend and see what ya think. I always prefer foams to rubber on any track.
Good ole days!
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A few years back we ran foams and when they made it a rubber rule I quit and so did a lot of others. This spec tire crap just erks me when I wanted to run Sorex they would only allow rp27. Yeah those last real well huh?

Heres how to make a foam last. Use the tallest diameter tire possible.

1. Don't use any traction compound let the foam selection do the work. Tire cleaners make the foam soft and will wear faster.

2. 2 sets of fronts 1 set of rears switching the fronts side to side every round, and the same with the rears. But swap the fronts to fresh ones every 2 rounds.
They will wear even this way and you wont have to true them and waste tire foam.

3. Run them to 58mm and put them away till carpet season. Start the process again till there down to the glue. It works and I have done it. Truing is the evil doer in foam this method works and you will get every bit of wear possible.

Its cheaper in my opinion than rubber. Unless you can run any tire you want to compensate for the ground temps.
I hate having to run a spec tire, and with foams you can run any thing you want.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:53 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBLove View Post
Good ole days!
Yup! Back when even I thought TC was fun!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We've been having success with Jaco Nitro Shoes for electric onroad on asphalt. I think one of the main things is to make sure you run enough camber so the tires don't wear unevenly.
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Ive used foam tires with my xray T1 and well my car had very little traction because of the track condition but rubber tires are alot better for electric cars
FX Racing is offline   Reply With Quote