R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default TRANS-AM GT Racing

This is food for thought

An outdoor spec class (beginners and pros alike) using our 4wd touring cars, Any chassis would be allowed
Any GT style bodies 200mm (more choices)no Stratus or Mazda 6 race bodies etc.
26mm HPI tires (longer wearing)
Any Wheel but off set would be needed to fill the wheel well.(no dish wheels)
Motors Stock/17.5? 19T/ 10.5 ? 13.5?
Bat 6 cell or LiPo

The basic idea comes from HPI, but I don't think it should be limited to one
http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2008040701/

I would like to here your opinions

P.S. I have nothing against the GT-10 idea, I just don't want to buy another type of car.

Rodney Nilles
Colorado Springs CO

Last edited by TMHippo; 04-28-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling
TMHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

We tried this last Sunday at our first outdoor race.

Bodies-Awesome, not a problem at all. I ran both a Protoform Corvette C6 and a McAllister Jaguar. My buddy ran the HPI RX7 with the wing HPI recommends for the GT class you're talking about. Bodies felt pretty good.

Tires- Not so sure here. I ran Sorex 28 premounts, since it was all i had. My buddy ran unbelted Xpatterns with lo bounce inserts. Mad forward traction, but not so much side bite. It was sugar watered, but cold on the track. The X's got a bit grained too. We ran mod motors.

I want to try HPi 15-40 slicks (the old Pro2 kit tire). That may work/last a bit better.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Yeah this class is alot of fun and nice to see something other then Stratus and Mazda bodies on the track. I had the RX7 and it drove just like a Mazda from what I thought with sorex 28's on the car. I like the HPI class name RCGT....the trans am thing is kind of confusing.

I like the basic idea behind the class

GT style bodies 190 or 200mm....200mm has more to choose from
Non-dish rims.....26mm wide
HPI molded wing kit.
Radial tires.....ok but slicks might last longer
Motor???...what ever you like mod or like 19t/13.5
6cell or lipo
Any Chassis Manufacture

Yeah not to take anything away from the GT10 class but with this you dont need to buy a car that you can only race in that 1 class....this way you can use the car to race other 4wd sedan classes and will work fairly well because of that.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

What does this solve though? I wish we could come up with some ideas that would actually attract more racers. Around were I live quite a few tracks have closed and while the Trans Am class has gotten going pretty well, it mostly just took drivers out of other classes. Do you guys see an increase in new drivers in your area?

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

It solves people walking up to or into a track and being like what the hell are they racing. When you have bodies that are easy to identify like a Corvette, Mustang, and Supra etc or like the Trans AM cars then peopleís interest gets perked. Racing around with Mazda, Alfa and Stratus bodies hasnít done anything.....but Trans AM cars has....mainly because they look like real RACE CARS. Trans AM is also good because for the most part they are easy to drive and handle. This class or idea is mainly about getting people too see that you can race other bodies then the norm to attract people. A ten car heat of Mazda 6's and a 10 car heat of GT/super cars will be way more enjoyable for spectators to watch and then maybe get them to go buy a car. If Mazda's were such a hot selling body then all the RTR cars would come with Mazda bodies....yet they donít...why because people want to race a real car that they can never get. Plus its more fun for some people to be racing around a real looking car then some blob with a flame job on it.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Cars were slowing down to like 5 mph on the street in front of the track. The street is a 2 lane 35 mph road...

Everybody who sees r/c racing is curious, but when the cars look real, or pretty close to it, that makes a greater impression than a car with a fake name and unidentifiable shape.

This is not really meant to do anything except let local tracks and clubs do something different. I know that Trans Am has brought more people to the track who either had cars and didn't race, or formerly were racers. That's a net gain. The real test will be seeing how many people we can pull in who have no involvement at all.

Last edited by robk; 05-01-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I love the way things are going back to a "scale" type of racing, where the R/C car actually looks like a real car. I think there should definitely be restrictions on paint jobs also reflecting livery from real cars, not the stupid flaming flower paintjobs on all the TC's today. Current paint jobs make the cars look more like something from Toys R Us than scale racing machines. And no more ugly dish wheels. I'm coming back to R/C after seeing that Trans Am vintage race, that is the most gorgeous grid of cars I have ever seen in R/C.
egalsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Here are some Pics from Speed World challenge GT Class

Rodney
Attached Thumbnails
TRANS-AM GT Racing-dsc_4177-720_720x0.jpg   TRANS-AM GT Racing-dsc_4516-720_720x0.jpg   TRANS-AM GT Racing-dsc_4596-720_720x0.jpg   TRANS-AM GT Racing-dsc_4979-720_720x0.jpg   TRANS-AM GT Racing-dsc_5045-720_720x0.jpg  

Old 05-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Hi

Well I got to test some HPI super slicks (on dish wheels) this weekend. They handled quite well for being over a year and half old. I also used a stratus body as I don't have a GT body yet but have ordered a HPI BMW m3 190mm.
I was using a 17.5 with lipo on a TA05 my fdr beinf 4.70 (69s/33p). I was only 3 lap off the leader who was using a 10.5 as were all the other racers. finshed 7 ot of 9 racers.
Once the tires warmed up on lap 3 the car ran great. I have some HPI B 15-40 coming this week and will mount them up with some low bounce inserts and test them with the M3 body. i will keep updating as I test

Rodney
Old 05-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I think that Touring car racing originally became very popular because the cars did look very scale from the wheels, tires, to the paintjobs. As the years went by, touring cars started looking like something else, as a result, less people could identify with them, and less people raced them. If you look at, for example, any sanctioned TC race and see the grid of cars, they look nothing like their full scale counterparts. Remember, these are supposed to be "Scale" cars. There really needs to be more strict rules concerning the aesthetics of these racing classes, because that is what attracts people to the hobby, and keeps people in the hobby.
egalsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalsim View Post
I think that Touring car racing originally became very popular because the cars did look very scale from the wheels, tires, to the paintjobs. As the years went by, touring cars started looking like something else, as a result, less people could identify with them, and less people raced them. If you look at, for example, any sanctioned TC race and see the grid of cars, they look nothing like their full scale counterparts. Remember, these are supposed to be "Scale" cars. There really needs to be more strict rules concerning the aesthetics of these racing classes, because that is what attracts people to the hobby, and keeps people in the hobby.
I coudn't agree more! This is exactly why 4WD Buggies are coming back into favor. The current cars being released look so much better than the giant wheeled formless bodied "truggies" that seem to have become the rage.

Being a scale model railroader, I couldn't be happier with this swing towards more authentic looking cars!!
Zagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We've already started to hash this out in the Ga regional forum. This is what we have so far.

-HPI bodies only (no Stratus or Mazda 6 race bodies). OK well I wouldnt want to stick to HPI but It should at least be a streetable shell or More strictly it should be modeled after an actual GT class car. Yokomo, and Tamiya, ABC, and Speedway Pal all have excellent shells that would go right along with this.

-HPI 26mm spoked wheels (no dish wheels) and HPI rubber tires only. No dish wheels. 26mm Yokomo wheels or other comparable "spoked" wheel.

-Kit Lexan wing (cut to stock cut line) or HPI plastic wing set only. Again there are comparable options from other manufacturers.

-19T or 13.5

-Any TC chasis.

As for Batteries we would run 3200mah 7.4v LiPO or 4200mah 7.4v NiMH.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So for those running RCGT what are you running....

1) bodies (190 or 200)?

2) wheels? Offset wheels or not?

3) tires ... or what you think would work best for carpet?

No class here and don't necessarily think it would take off (not enough numbers to start another class without hurting another), but we have some enduros that it might be fun to run a car setup this way.

Thanks.........

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Check these threads out:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...-showdown.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...-rcgt-usa.html