R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-27-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Default Abused 3000's

My 3000's have been abused for the past year, and they now peak at around 2650mah. What can I do to get some life back into them? Also, I own a Turbo 35 GFX so if there is anything special that I can do with my GFX to get some life back into them, i'd like to know .
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:40 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

give em to the newbie at your track, they will be loved once again
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 04:20 PM   #3
Tech Adept

You could try getting them zapped.

When you say 'abused', exactly how have you been treating them?
university_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

if your cells are abused to the point where the shrinkwraped is coming off, then there is no hope of reviving your cells.
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:43 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to analyzer

wouldn't it be weird to charge a year old cells with the new GFX?

you can try to equalize them on a equalizing tray.
My old cells peak at 3000++ after having them equalized on a Robitronic tray.
analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 04:06 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

I have a similar problem, but my packs haven't been abused at all. i got them 2nd hand from a top mod driver (no chance of him mistreating them), and since i got them i always charge, race, discharge, equalize, partial charge for storage, so i'm pretty sure my treatment of them is up to scratch, but since the first time i charged them they've only gone up to about 2600-2800mah, and by now i'm charging with 12mv/cell on my cdc, peaking at about 9.85, so pretty high peak. i'm charging at 5.5 amps so obviously that's part of it, but would it make that much difference.

anyone got any ideas about why this might be and what i can do to fix it? oh, the pack is a reedy 3000HV by the way
Trippin Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 04:20 AM   #7
Tech Elite

The NiMH cells deteriorate over time, no matter how well you care for them. Basically nothing you can do.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:50 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via AIM to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via MSN to SpeedyTC3 Send a message via Yahoo to SpeedyTC3

Quote:
Originally posted by Trippin Freddy
I have a similar problem, but my packs haven't been abused at all. i got them 2nd hand from a top mod driver (no chance of him mistreating them), and since i got them i always charge, race, discharge, equalize, partial charge for storage, so i'm pretty sure my treatment of them is up to scratch, but since the first time i charged them they've only gone up to about 2600-2800mah, and by now i'm charging with 12mv/cell on my cdc, peaking at about 9.85, so pretty high peak. i'm charging at 5.5 amps so obviously that's part of it, but would it make that much difference.

anyone got any ideas about why this might be and what i can do to fix it? oh, the pack is a reedy 3000HV by the way
Keep in mind that in most cases, the higher the peak voltage, the higher the internal resistance. The IR can go up and will in most cases in every battery pack over time. There are a few variables involved here besides your routine maintenance.
How many times a week are you charging and using the cells?
What rate are they being charged at?
What application are you using them for?

If you've had these cells for quite a while now, and I'm assuming that you have because we've been running 3300's for better than 9 months now, then you'd probably benefit from having your cells re-zapped and you should in most cases, see an improvement.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.
SpeedyTC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 02:58 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Also: A Top Mod Driver...

that means to me, low turn mods. Lots of current draw. The packs HAVE been abused, just by racing with them under those conditions.

Try discharging at 20 amps to 5.4, then putting them on a tray. Let them die on the tray, then charge them up. Re-adjust your peak detection to .04-.06 per cell.

Chances are you are overcharging them.

Also, if you are running stock, the reduced capacity is not going to significantly hurt you because a stock motor draws on average 17 amps throughout a race. At a 20 amp discharge, after 5 minutes, only 1700 mah has been discharged from a pack. Therefore 2700mah should be plenty to make a 5 minute main. Also, I have never dumped running mod with 2400's............10x2 ??
Pit Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 04:25 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Trippin Freddy

You only really need to partial charge when you are going for more than a fortnight without using the cells. The best regime for both 3000s and 3300s that I have found is simple. Charge the morning of the meeting. Use the cells and then leave them. When you come to charge them for the next meeting put them on a discharge tray until the lights go out. It's simple and effective, and it should also lower the IR of the packs.

At the moment if you aren't discharging before you charge them for a meeting you still have the partial charge left in them. If you are using the mantra of 1/3 capacity, then you are actually getting 3600-3800 each time you charge them.
university_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 03:35 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

speedytc3 - i'm using the cells usually about 3-5 times a week, charging at 5.5amps for stock racing. i personally haven't had them for very long, less than 3 months anyway, not sure how long the previous owner used them for, i'll have to ask him.

i'm not really too worried about the performance of them, just curious as to why it might be this way. they seem to be doing great with heaps of punch and never coming close to dumping

Pit crew - i guess you're right, they probably have been used under pretty tough conditions, although i believe they were only practice packs for most of their previous life (could this be bad due to them not being used much?). Sorry, forgot to say before, at the start of the day i do discharge & equalize the cells before charging them again. how can i be overcharging them when they don't even reach capacity though? or was that because you thought i wasn't discharging before a race day? the first few times i tried setting it at 5mv i think it was and it only charged to something like 400mah, so evidently they need a higher peak than that. for a while they were ok on 8mv/cell but then the capacity started to drop again. i know changing the way you treat them like this sin't good for them but i wouldn't make 5 minutes with such a low setting. do you think it might be time for a new pack maybe?
btw i have another pack which is almost identical, i even bought it from the same uy but it was nib and unassembled when i bought it, and it makes 3100 or so with 8mv, so maybe age is the key factor here?

university dave - i guess you're right, but i often do go about a fortnight without using them if i have a busy weekend, so i always just give them a partial charge at the end of a rce day.
and as i said above although i forgot to mention it i do discharge & equalize the cells before a race day, so they don't have any charge still in them.
Trippin Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:59 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Hmmmm,

I always charge mine at .o3 mv/cell. One thing to be aware of... If you are charging with a Quasar, having a transmitter on nearby can cause a false peak.
Pit Crew is offline   Reply With Quote