Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for drift car advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Looking for drift car advice.

Im interested in buying a drift car but dont know where to start and I am looking for ideas and advice in the right direction.

I want something that is-

Higher quality, parts readily available, and electronics are not necessary.

If I wanted to run it on road, something that I can do that with out drifting too.

Its for having fun, light bashing, and more than likely never see a track.

I already have an extra GTB 6.5 and 10.5 bl, 6000mah lipo, quick steering servo, and a 2.4g fasst reciever ready to go.

I dont mind spending a little more to get a better car, I just dont want low quality.

Which car would best fit what Im looking for?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ANY TOURING CAR CAN BE MADE TO DRIFT WITH THE RIGHT TIRES AND SETUP. I WOULD CHECK YOUR HOBBY STORE TO SEE WHAT BRAND OF CAR THEY HAVE THE MOST PARTS FOR... PROBABLY AN ASSOCIATED TC5 OR A LOSI JRX-S. OH YEAH, YOU HAVE AWESOME ELECTRONICS TO PUT IN IT, SO THE BATTLE IS HALF-WAY WON.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

just like huck said, go to your LHS and find out what 4wd touring car that you can find parts for. then, what you want to do is get hpi racing type t tires, these run for about $20 for a set of 4 and will last you quite a while depending on what type of surface you run on..i suggest you run the 10.5 brushless over the 6.5.. if you need more help, dont be discouraged to come over and check out www.rcdriftclub.com we have a bunch of members there that know TONS, there is also www.drccentral.com feel free to come on by.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for those links.

What specifically do I have to do to a touring car to turn it into a drift car besides changing the tires?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
Thanks for those links.

What specifically do I have to do to a touring car to turn it into a drift car besides changing the tires?
Nothing else is needed.

But you could get the HPI Drift Box which will help you sustain long drifts.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMVE1&P=ML

Or you could get the Futaba G190 Gyro, which is the exact same thing as the HPI Drift Box except it has a different sticker is is about $35 cheaper too!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKTT2&P=7
Old 04-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would recomend the Yokomo or HPI for drifting since they have good support on drifting and hold drift events. Another plus is that the drift bodies are premarked so mounting them would be easier.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 403forbidden
Nothing else is needed.

But you could get the HPI Drift Box which will help you sustain long drifts.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMVE1&P=ML

Or you could get the Futaba G190 Gyro, which is the exact same thing as the HPI Drift Box except it has a different sticker is is about $35 cheaper too!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKTT2&P=7
forbidden, you are incorrect. to get the cars to drift, its pure setup. and also, i do not suggest you get those gyros...unless you are so lazy that you dont want to countersteer.

after you get the chassis, i suggest you get a spool and put it in the back. if the car does not have a ball diff, put a ball diff up front. you want this ball diff med. tight to tight.. change your shockoil to 30wt all around and adjust the cambers to -2 in the front and -1 in the back (for the hpi type t tires i mentioned). then you will want to get soft springs or super soft springs.. i run yokomo titanium soft springs all around on my tamiya ta05, and it works well for me. but alot of people prefer it different ways. so the spring choice is up to you, but i suggest you run a soft setup..what i also did was take out the droop screws, and adjust your shock positions (i run middle hole on the arm, and all the way out on the shocktower for the front, and the rears a little more slanted than the front). adjust your preload so you have sort of a high rideheight, i know this might sound silly but the high rideheight helps with weight transfer when you are drifting.. you want the front slightly higher than the rear, so the car is basically squatting. this way, you get more rear grip, therefore, faster exit speeds. thats pretty close to what i run on my ta05 for drifting (i change camber for different types of tires)...and that should get you started off well if you decide to get a shaft car, or a belt car.. be sure to visit www.rcdriftclub.com i am on there, and there are also many other people that know quite a bit more about setup than i do...

just curious...where are you located?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I admit I don't have lots of RC drift experience, so other people's advice is better.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For drifting I don't change a thing except my tires. My race setup is pretty close to what rc guru described on my pro 4, except I have diffs front and rear. I just change out to hpi x-patterns and I can drift pretty darn good with those. And they last pretty good too. Most people seem to like the low-speed drifting with low grip tires, but I like it hot and fast, just like the real thing.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC Guru

Tampa Florida area.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I had great luck drifting with my TC4 with a 17 turn motor. I have since bought a TA04S to be used exclusively as my drift car as I was tired with switching back between grip and drift setups on the TC4.

The TA04S is mainly stock right now. It has a lot less power than the TC4. With the TC4, even if I was already going fast, I could crank the steering and stab the throttle and get it to initiate. Now, the TA04S doesn't have enough power to do so, and when I crank the throttle, it just understeers and keeps going straight. I want to keep this a low-power chassis to keep my run times up. What should I be looking for setup wise to be able to initiate at higher speed? Camber is 0* all around right now. 0* toe, 5mm ride height, 2* rear toe, and a semi-locked diff in the rear (need to lock it before heading out again).
Old 04-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't bother with a d-box or gyro. They're not needed and there is no substitute for practice.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:03 AM

Default ~~~

Originally Posted by RC Guru
forbidden, you are incorrect. to get the cars to drift, its pure setup. and also, i do not suggest you get those gyros...unless you are so lazy that you dont want to countersteer.

after you get the chassis, i suggest you get a spool and put it in the back. if the car does not have a ball diff, put a ball diff up front. you want this ball diff med. tight to tight.. change your shockoil to 30wt all around and adjust the cambers to -2 in the front and -1 in the back (for the hpi type t tires i mentioned). then you will want to get soft springs or super soft springs.. i run yokomo titanium soft springs all around on my tamiya ta05, and it works well for me. but alot of people prefer it different ways. so the spring choice is up to you, but i suggest you run a soft setup..what i also did was take out the droop screws, and adjust your shock positions (i run middle hole on the arm, and all the way out on the shocktower for the front, and the rears a little more slanted than the front). adjust your preload so you have sort of a high rideheight, i know this might sound silly but the high rideheight helps with weight transfer when you are drifting.. you want the front slightly higher than the rear, so the car is basically squatting. this way, you get more rear grip, therefore, faster exit speeds. thats pretty close to what i run on my ta05 for drifting (i change camber for different types of tires)...and that should get you started off well if you decide to get a shaft car, or a belt car.. be sure to visit www.rcdriftclub.com i am on there, and there are also many other people that know quite a bit more about setup than i do...

Is the Hpi E10 drift good cause i have one and could not really test its drift power at Home~
Old 04-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
Thanks for those links.

Go with a standard setup. 1 to 0 degree toe in front. 2-3 degrees toe in rear. 0-0.5 degrees camber all around. Get REAL soft springs. I like using Yokomo Titanium drift springs. I usually use softs in the front and mediums in the rear. Or take out the 2 softest sets of springs in your arsenal and put the soft one in the front and stiffer one in the rear. Also, go with HPI T-Drift tires. You can't go wrong with them.

Check out http://www.driftercentral.com
Old 04-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Tech Rookie

I am assuming that you have seen a drift race before? I personally finding it very borrrring. No offense to drifters, but I just find it very slowww. It took racers a long time to do a lap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.