R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TRF414M, 404x, 414, 414X (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/219-trf414m-404x-414-414x.html)

TRF-Powered 08-26-2001 12:55 AM

TRF414M, 404x, 414, 414X

I started this thread at RC-Touring. I just resgistered today. Thanks to Steve from Speedtechrc.com. He told me that almost everyone from RC-touring is here.

I haven't run my TRF414M yet. I'm just painting the bodies for it right now. It looks so awasome, didn't want to race it and crash it and end up ruin it's neat look.

I raced my TB-Evo though (My SN was TB-Evo Tamiya at RCtouring). It is extremely tough. I crashed millions of times and nothing break yet.

I finally raced it today. Placed 5 in the second qulifiying run but didn't do good enough to get into final.

Evo is a great car. But i'm not a good driver at all. My batteries are kinda weak too. I was running 1500mah. didn't have enough punch. Considering that all the other cars are running 2400mah and up, I did oK I guess.

I'm too poor to afford any good batteries right now. But soon Will be getting some nice batteries. By the time my driving skill should imporve too. Until i'm a good enough driver, I will run my TRF414M. Right now it's just setting there and looking pretty with a Ferrier360 body.

Post away about anything TRF-414 series. Happy posting!!

angrymrsquirrel 08-26-2001 09:21 AM

Hi,
I'd like to see how you get on with the 414m. Arent they supposed to be extremely expensive? A guy at our club (the chairman) is supposed to have payed £650 for one, brand new. Not being rude but how much was yours? They're nice cars.
I'm happy right now because I got 2400 saddle packs and corally connectors all round for £20 last night.

Later,
Ben

-----------------------------------Edit For Typo--------------------------------

TFR 08-26-2001 02:03 PM

what you should do now is to learn how to set up the car and to drive, then you can sell the EVO, so you get money to buy batteries...

anywayz, why you so fast buy the 414M and not concentrate on the TB evo, i think EVO is a great car...;)

TRF-Powered 08-26-2001 02:25 PM

TFR,
I won't be selling my Evo. I love both cars. Tuning Evo is differernt from Tuning TRF414M. Evo is taking a hell of beating right now. I do clean it up and fix it everytime I get into a crash. I baby both of my cars. Good batteries just have to wait until I can save up enough money to buy them.

angry,
TRF414M is cheaper then TB-EVO. I bought my TRF414M directly from Tamiya America for 299 U.S. dollars (plus shipping). And bought my EVo at a local hobby store for about 396 out of door. Which is over kill. At Tamiya TCS race they also have a sale, which they are selling Evo for only 198. I paid double of that!!! I was so mad and thinking I really sould of waited. Cuz I didn't had a chance to go out and racing until AFTER the TCS racing anyways. I am soooo mad at myself. That is a bad move from myself. anyway, What's paid is paid. My money please forgive me!!!!

:cry:

Isaac 08-27-2001 06:26 AM

TTT

TRF-Powered 08-29-2001 12:31 AM

For those ones who have a TRF414M. What type of sorex tire is that? 36r? I have a 414M. but really not sure what kinda tire is that. I know it's a sorex mid-narrow tire. Are they speically made for Tamiya?

imataquito 08-29-2001 12:43 AM

if i am not mistaken .. someone who has the car said its 32 r 's...

TRF-Powered 08-29-2001 12:47 AM

I think I will check it out in the instruction menu. Hop that it says what kinda tire it is.

Isaac 08-29-2001 06:10 AM

I have some Sorex 32R's now and I can tell you they don't feel the same as the tires that came with the 414M kit. I think those were 28R's. That's my opinion. Hey call Fred at Tamiya USA and see if he knows. He's the tech guy up there. Pretty cool dude. Anyway like I said I think they were 28R's. The car was on rails with those tires and the stock inserts.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/bnnr_414m.gif

petersiu007 08-29-2001 07:55 AM

Anyone fed up with the stock battery straps? Put on the X-ray battery straps!! Works perfect and looks sweet!

Isaac 08-29-2001 08:00 AM

battery tape doesn't bother me so.... that's what I use.

razzo 08-29-2001 08:30 AM

anyone interested in slightly used 414M? please check the for sale section... thanks.

TRF-Powered 08-29-2001 09:57 PM

razzo,

Are you the same Razzo from RCtouring.com? if so, How come you are selling your TRF414M??? Staying with TB-evo only?

TRF-Powered 08-29-2001 09:59 PM

Issac,

Yeah I think I will call Tamiya and figure it out. It doesn't say anything about the tire size in the instruction menu. It's a "medium narrow" type tire. That's what the tamiya's website says.

Isaac 08-31-2001 05:17 AM

Mod Class Set Ups

Anyone with modified class set ups? Just want to get an idea of what guys are doing. Also what motor wind you are running. This would be for the 414M.http://www.tamiya.com/english/bnnr_414m.gif

razzo 08-31-2001 12:53 PM

Issac, not sure if it's any help, but the setup I sent you for your page is for mod on carpet... either 8x1 or 9x1 for motors.

TRF- yup, it's same razzo from rct, ttt, and various other places.

Kraig 09-01-2001 09:28 PM

Issac, can you post the link to your site? I seemed to have lost it somewhere. Opps, never mind I found it.

Anybody care to share a stock setup for rubber tires on carpet?

coolrcdad 09-02-2001 11:46 AM

414X for sale

No. 51 of 150 sold. Chassis only, minus shocks. Double one-ways installed; regular pulley and extra ball diff included. Much of the hardware is conical hex screws with purple conical washers. Extra parts include a spare steel outdrive for the front one way, Schumacher saddle pack graphite battery hold downs, set of arms, front bumper, diff rebuild kit, washers and spacers. Orignial black packing box and copy of instructions/parts list. Car only run on carpet for practice a few times, never raced.

Asking $350/obo. E-mail me at [email protected]. I pay for shipping in US only.

TRF-Powered 09-05-2001 10:30 PM

Hey, CoolRCdad,

What happend to the shocks?? What kinda shock does the 414x come with anyway??? the super low friction damper??

coolrcdad 09-06-2001 07:06 AM

TRF -- I bought the car used and the seller included aftermarket shocks, not the original Tamiya ones. I think the car came with the threaded aluminum shocks. The shocks I have are Integy threaded aluminum.

1stmil 09-06-2001 07:40 PM

There is a setup from Ripon on the Tamiya site!

Kingcrab 09-06-2001 08:35 PM

I have 2 of 414M. The tyre in 414M box is 28R.

Isaac 09-07-2001 09:24 AM

Wish me luck. Big race Sunday here in MD.

http://www.georgemeany.org/414benz2.jpg
414M

TRF-Powered 09-07-2001 09:34 PM

post your racing result after sunday Issac.

It should be fun.

Nice paint job you have there.

I have never use any other body for racing besides tamiya.

I just have the habbit of being Tamiya only. Unless I'm just practicing.

Try the F360 body from Tamiya. It is a very nice racing body. I'm currently using NSX raybrig 2000 for racing. It's very nice too.

1stmil 09-08-2001 09:48 AM

If anyone has a 414 available let me know. I am interested in checking this car out.

Gotta be a good price and in EXCELLENT shape! All my cars are primo.

rcspeed 09-08-2001 10:39 AM

I have a 414M and its sweet & fast :D

TRF-Powered 09-09-2001 04:06 AM

I finally see some body run TRF414M at SoCal raceway today. That car is fast!

I assembled my TRF414M already, but haven't put any electronics in it yet. I'm not planning on running it soon. i need to get my driving skill up fast before I ever drive that car.

Isaac 09-10-2001 07:17 AM

TRF-Powered, Razzo and who ever else wants to know. This past weekend at our annual Charity Race sponsored by Hobby Works (www.hobbyworks.com) I placed 4th in Pro-Stock "A" main and 1st Tamiya stock "A" main.

Pro-Stock 414M:
1.5 degree negative camber all around
80wt front, 2 hole pistons, white springs
60wt rear, 3 hole pistons, yellow springs
yellow sway bars front and back
switched between Sorex 32R's and Yokomo 138G's (about the same) The Sorex like the sun and the Yokomo's were the same all around; sun or clouds.
All shock mounts, camber links and what ever else were in their stock locations.
Protoform DTM 2000 Mercedes CLK body. The one below.

The car had a slight push and sometimes the rear would *try* to come around. The surface had medium traction. Everyone had the same problems not matter the car. The tire to have was the Sorex 28R's. If you had these tires you were pretty much stuck. Needless to say I didn't have any. Dang things were sold out when I wanted them. There was mixture of sun and clouds and believe me you had to gauge when the sun was going to show or not. No sun made the track was totally different as the track temp dropped by at least 10 to 15 degrees F. It's about to hit fall here in Maryland.

Tamiya Stock 1st Place:
same set up as above except for these items:
blue springs up front, blue sway bar in the rear, and Yokomo 206F with firm inserts. Surprisingly this car was stuck. No push, no oversteer just traction. These were year and a half old tires too.

Questions email: [email protected]

Oh yea Pro-stock mains went as far as an "E" main and I think stock went to just a "B" main.

Alvin 09-11-2001 07:38 AM

I think someone posted in a thread somewhere but I can't find it.... so here goes the same question: can the TRF414M front and rear gear boxes be used on a TA04?

Thanks,
Alvin

Isaac 09-11-2001 10:50 AM

Yes. The diffs that is.

Alvin 09-12-2001 08:39 AM

What about the differential housing? The one that comes with the 04r seems to be composite carbon, but if I can get the 414M housing that'll be sweet :)

Alvin

Isaac 09-12-2001 08:41 AM

I don't know about the 04R as I haven't brought one yet.

petersiu007 09-12-2001 01:52 PM

I don't know if you can use the front alu diff housing but i'm sure you can use the rear one becasue the 04r's tub chassis has the "poles" sticking out of the chassis. Correct me if i'm worng...

TRF-Powered 09-12-2001 08:37 PM

The Alu housing won't fit. But why bother to get 414M's housing for it anyway? Tamiya probably has a plan to release some hop-ups for TA04R which might inculde the alu housing you are looking for.

By the way, from what I heard from the track. TA04R's tub chassis isn't strong enough and it flex a lot and tends to crack in extreme condition. I heard people saying that Tamiya is coming out new tub chassis for TA04R. I think only you have to do is sending your old tub chassis and get a new one. I'm not so sure about this info. Call Tamiya and ask them. They might give you better idea what's going on.

TRF-Powered 09-16-2001 11:39 AM

does tamiya sell those setting wheels for TRF414X????? those sure are cool......

petersiu007 09-16-2001 02:04 PM

You mean the blue ones? i have a set of them that i don't use anymore. I'll sell them if you want. You can email me at [email protected] and we can talk about it. Thanks

Alvin 09-17-2001 07:08 AM

My local distributor sells tamiya setting wheels, not sure if they're the same as the 414's but they're cool boy! Much nicer than my speedmind setting wheels. And they cost a bomb!

stik 09-17-2001 07:46 AM

yup, they're the original ones way back when they came out with limited edition 1st generation 414x. Looks cool but I prefer setup gauge over them. I only use them for tweaking with tweak station...

Originally posted by Alvin
My local distributor sells tamiya setting wheels, not sure if they're the same as the 414's but they're cool boy! Much nicer than my speedmind setting wheels. And they cost a bomb!

Pyramid 09-18-2001 05:47 AM

Anyone has opportunities to compare 414M with the Xray T1?

Both cars look precise but would like to hear opinions.

Thanks in advance

Isaac 09-21-2001 07:00 AM

Carpet and Foams

I put the 414M on carpet last Wednesday. TRC "plaids" foams in front and "purples" in the rear. The car that won stock in my earlier post was used with the same set up. Roll out was 26.7mm as it's a tight track with a 90 to 100ft straight. The motor was an ESP "MVP" can stock motor with "E" brushes. I had rip and straight away speed. The car was pretty much dailed. The sway bar in the rear was the thickest blue bar so the rear could possibly be more planted. It was still easy to drive. As long as you got off the gas at specific or obvious points the car would just carry speed through all corners. The fastest and easiest touring car I've driven on carpet. Carpet usually isn't my cup of tea either. I just simply had a ball eating up the track.

People told me this car would have too much traction indoors and that it's a car for parking lots and outdoors. Don't believe the hype. I'm running the Tamiya harder spring set and it's just fine. At least for stock. I hope to try a mod motor soon. I won't be able to race for awhile though.