Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Jaco Rubber Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

We have been getting good performance out of the blues at our track. The one thing we have noticed is that they seems to be wearing the inner and outer edges more than the middle of the tire. Especially on the front tires. The greens I have tried wore straight across with no set-up changes. I believe this might be caused by an air gap in the blues that might be a bit too large. They still wear good, and we can get around 10 runs on them before they start to fall off too much. Sometimes more. Another issue we ran into was on those 8-10 run tires, if you hit a board hard, at least in our experience, the sidewall had a tendancy to tear. Could just be bad luck on our part, or it could be associated with the inner and outer edges wearing. Overall, they seem to be the tire to run at our track right now. I think I am going to stick with the greens, as they seem to suit me better.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have seen similar tearing.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by thehobbyshop
Thanks for the response Jack.
1. We didn't try the greens because we felt a harder tire would not get as greasy on a fairly hot day.
2. Glad to hear that you're not rushing a product to market that doesn't meet quality expectations.
3. The blues wore decently for the rear tires, but the fronts seemed to get the dreaded inner ring wear after 3 hard runs. I did add an extra half degree of camber in the front as I've heard this is the first setup change to make for the new tires. The tire sauce I used was a 50/50 mixture of tire tweak and SXT2.0.
As an added note, I prefer a car with slight oversteer. I had read that the Jacos were oversteering for most drivers which drew me towards the tires.

I typically get 8-10 good runs on the Sorex 32's with little dropoff in times. I'm going to try an extra couple runs on the Jaco's this weekend. Any suggestion on tire sauce to try to get the magical better grip and wear?

The only bad thing about this weekend is that the weather may not cooperate for hot weather testing. We're only expected to get up to around 80 degrees.

Thanks,
Tire sauce is one of those things that everyone seems to find their own formula/ritual and swears by it. I don't have a consistent recommendation since everyone has a different favorite. I have heard everything from motor spray to WD-40 to Paragon. I think you may want to try a little more camber. Check the wear and adjust accordingly. I have heard that our tires take a significantly different setup on many tracks. Experiment with sauce too. I have a feeling that you can get very close to the performance of the Sorex...maybe not be faster, but close enough. Who knows? Maybe you will hit the right setup and the car will be dialed.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedRocketRacing
Being civil and not gonna bring up any old stuff here.

This is a very similar situation that alot drivers were compalaining about at the Xray race in Portland. The conditions sound very similar and the track prep is very similar.

Are these just a flat out a better carpet tire than asphalt? Unless you have a permanant asphalt track that is open on a daily basis, it seems tough to get this tire to be hooked up with limited track time.

RedRocket
From what I heard about the race in Portland, the foam tires had no bite on the nitro cars either and they, too, wore out prematurely. That is very unusual.
Obviously the track has a huge impact on what works and what doesn't. These tires were developed by testing at the Florida state series- all asphalt tracks. The fact that they work on carpet is an added bonus. Until someone tries greens at that track, I think it is premature to pass judgement on the tires' performance.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I FINALLY received my B/O of Jacos from Horizon, [blues only] sold 1/2 of the lot, the guys that ran them [75x55 permanent asphalt track, no VHT or traction additive] 'seemed' as fast as before [w/sorex, ect], haven't seen the tires yet, but no complaints from said customers about tire wear, time will tell, got greens in also, may try those myself, unlike Randy I do test the rims strenght [yes I crash!!]

Thankx, Bill
Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

the blues are the shiznit!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For those of you still having issues with the tires I strongly recommend checking your camber settings. As has been posted on here by Jack and tested by me here in Florida, these tires require more camber than we are all used to with brand X tires.

While we can sit here and say this tire is not as fast as this or that, the simple fact is the Jaco's are the only perfromance tire that is readily available at a REASONABLE cost. With some setup adjustments these tires will work every bit as good as other tires out there.

When people say these tires are slower in their opinion they are referring to tenths of second per lap which MAY add up to 3-4 seconds during an entire race. I can guarantee that we are all responsible for more time loss than that on the track by clipping dots and boards.

If you guys have any questions feel free to PM me or post on here and either myself or one of the other Jaco drivers will do our best to answer them.

Butter
Old 08-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

How many degree camber are we talking? 3? I know I've tried up to 2 but no further.

I think people are saying they are slower for the setup they are running. I think its safe to say at the hobby shop track .3 per lap makes a huge difference in the results. It might be one of the most competitive parking lot tracks there is.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I know a lot of you use a scotch brite pad to remove the mould release from tires, so maybe you can help me out. Is that down until the shiny finish is removed from a new set, or just enough to expose the shiny finish. It seems like you'd have to let it run for a while to get the shiny stuff off.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just used some generic orange cleaner and a red shop towel to clean mine. Straight from the pack they were slick but after that they were extremely sticky to the touch. Still haven't had the chance to run them yet.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Originally Posted by TeamButter

When people say these tires are slower in their opinion they are referring to tenths of second per lap which MAY add up to 3-4 seconds during an entire race. I can guarantee that we are all responsible for more time loss than that on the track by clipping dots and boards.
i couldnt agree more with that statement

some people need 2 realise that there driving can acount for more time loss that car setup or tires
Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RaceAce701

some people need 2 realise that there driving can acount for more time loss that car setup or tires
Too true
Old 08-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamButter
For those of you still having issues with the tires I strongly recommend checking your camber settings. As has been posted on here by Jack and tested by me here in Florida, these tires require more camber than we are all used to with brand X tires.

While we can sit here and say this tire is not as fast as this or that, the simple fact is the Jaco's are the only perfromance tire that is readily available at a REASONABLE cost. With some setup adjustments these tires will work every bit as good as other tires out there.

If you guys have any questions feel free to PM me or post on here and either myself or one of the other Jaco drivers will do our best to answer them.

Butter
I'm getting ready to test the green and blue this weekend... How much camber do you add compared to sorex or rp30s
Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I'm getting ready to test the green and blue this weekend... How much camber do you add compared to sorex or rp30s
Francis- I have not run the Sorex's because the CS-27 had been the handout here in Florida for years. However, 1.5 -2.0 degrees of camber along with the proper camber link length go a LONG way in helping with tire wear. I run the S400 and that car with short links in front and rear has incredibly good tire wear.

There is no doubt the tire requires a different setup, however, once you find the one that is compatible to your driving, your specific car and your tire prep program you will be amazed at how fast and durable the blues can be.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RaceAce701

If you think about it though the statement is kind of false. I drive inconsistently every run. If we are talking a .3 second per lap difference between tires on average then it is a real 7 seconds (on our track). Hard to explain but we are talking averages here. We aren't saying .3 seconds per lap slower on one particular run, on average .3 seconds slower.

I will give you setup, I won't give you that driving makes up for it. Im consistently inconsistent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.