R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #451
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I keep hearing that motor spray dries out tires... but man, I swear it seems to work better than using WD40 or simple green. The tires feel too greasy on the track when I use those other things to clean it. With motor spray, they feel just right.

Gonna try some blues on carpet next week. What's the word on camber, 2 degrees all around to start?
Depending on the car and how aggressive you run, but i'd start w/ 1.5* run a lap or two look at the tire and adjust from there.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 PM   #452
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I keep hearing that motor spray dries out tires... but man, I swear it seems to work better than using WD40 or simple green. The tires feel too greasy on the track when I use those other things to clean it. With motor spray, they feel just right.

Gonna try some blues on carpet next week. What's the word on camber, 2 degrees all around to start?

WD-40 has always done some weird stuff when it's really hot outside or when you overheat the tire (any tire, not just jacos).

I've been using that rediculously overpriced sweep tire cleaner... it works really good. It smells almost identicle to gasoline... so thats making me wonder if thats why it's so $$$$ .

If it;s hot outside I just put a little motor spray on a towel and wipe the tires off real good. Usually I use tweak so I just let tweak sit for a really long time and it works well.

-Korey
Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #453
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tag View Post
Rod.. For Charlotte, I did the following. Went up 5 wt oil(To slow car slinging around) and went slightly stiffer on front bar. Also Preped tires with wd-40 let dry and soaked for 10 min. in FX2 . Then wiped and ran. Tires were great,Marvin and a few others did same and had great results also. I feel motor spray dries tires out too much,So try not to use that on these. Just my 2 cents....
clean the tires with WD-40 let it dry then apply buggy grip and let it dry , then hit the track, it works very well in the hot Florida asphalt.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #454
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

Although my Supplier [Horizon Hobby] hasn't shipped my backorder yet, I have been using the 'other guyz tires' I have experimented quite extensively [I run 2 classes of rubber tires EVERY W/E] what works for me here at OVRCCC [coated asphalt][no VHT or soda] clean tire w/motor spray, apply Jack or death grip, [also have been experimenting w/RAGU] apply tire warmers to bake compound in, 5 min b-4 race crank temp up on warmers [if itz been a while since last application re-apply compound] wipe & race, so far round here itz either Sorex 28 or 32's but I prefer RP36's

Anyway, I noticed I have a shipment of 'BLUES' on the way, B/O on others [GREENS] whatz the word on the 'ORANGES'??

Thankx, Bill

ps at least I didn' call your tires 'names' Jack LOL!!!
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires

Last edited by speedybill; 07-30-2008 at 06:13 PM.
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #455
Tech Fanatic

I've been told our tires are "the shit" before. Maybe that is what he meant....
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #456
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
I've been told our tires are "the shit" before. Maybe that is what he meant....
ya really mean "de-shit"
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #457
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
There are much better ways to express dissatisfaction with a product than getting on a public forum and blasting it. It lessens your credibility and draws the ire of the manufacturer. I have never tried to sugercoat the problems we had in the past with our rubber tires. Look back....I have been frank and candid about what the problems were and how we planned to fix them. We did everything we said we would do. As I manufacturer that was true to my word, I think I deserve a little more respect than what was shown. If you have a problem and you want me to know about it, why post it in front of thousands of potential customers? Why not just call, PM, or e-mail me?
I am not averse to negative feedback. There is plenty of it on this thread. I don't expect the tires to work at every track or under every situation. I do take exception to the way it was presented, however. Wouldn't you? It is absurd to think anyone would be content to have someone get on a public forum and call out their product in this way. As a manufacturer, am I somehow supposed to be above that?
We rely completely on feedback from professional racers and weekend racers alike in developing and improving our products. It's just that this feedback usually comes in the form of constructive criticism, not an expletive laden tirade.
I hear you. And yes, from what I've heard,(waiting to get my try on the new tires this weekend) you have come through, and then some, on everything you guys got negative feedback about on the old tires. But I do remember the old thread, and I do remember people taking heat for questioning the tires. Comments about broken rims were met with answers like 'well the team guys haven't reported any breakage' and comments about premature wear and low traction were met with answers like 'are you running the right compound' or 'do you know how to set up a car?' And frankly, it was a little disappointing to see it starting up again on this new thread. NO, those comments weren't always coming directly from you, but it did make it unfriendly to bring up negative(but legitimit) complaints.

But...If thats nots what was happening, and instead it was just the way he went about it, then I can understand. One thing I don't get though, is if we should use direct contact to share comments about products...what the heck are half the threads on R/C tech for?

Whether companies like it or not, message boards and blogs are the way people communicate now. They feel it gives far quicker results than calling up and getting a customer service rep who will assign their complaint a case number and file it away somewhere. Its not just R/C who gets this, its all businesses.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #458
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocketRacing View Post
Let start wiht this, If I has come on here and said I was dissappointed with these tires and left it at that would there of been this kind of response? Probably not would of just been past over since I am a small time club and regional racer.

Yes I know that it is a a flame at jaco, But I know that they make great products, I have a shoe box of faoms that ar itching for the carpet season to come around, that is what makes my experience with the Rubberz dissapointing. Those that know me know that I get the most out of my tires. I will run a set of tires for up to 30 runs, and still be on pace. I am just use to a tire that I can get alot of time out of. And it wasn't that there was alot of wear on the tire, they just fell off. They didn't peel or anythink they just didn't work on the second run. And like I said, there were many others that felt the same they just choose not to mention talk about it. IT is hard to be happy with a product when they cost $30 for five minutes. Most of us spent about $130 on tires when at this level it need to be $50 to $75, remember this if Grass Roots Racing.

Jeremy those are my big boy words. Thanks for you input.

Here is my real name.

Anders Hagen
RedRocket
I guess it's a good thing you weren't racing TC's about 10 years ago then, as the hot tire back then was ProLine's S3's, which were 1-4 run tires AT BEST. IF your car was set up just right, then they'd work great the first run, & then get worse every subsequent run(like the rubber was hardening from the heat cycles), & by the end of the 4th run, they'd already dropped off considerably, & you'd be lucky if your car was drivable on them. And if your setup was off by much at ALL, they'd simply SHRED IN ONE RUN(I know because I did it a few times, very frustrating). Compared to that, today's tires are a GREAT value for the money(& even 10 years ago, we were paying upwards of $50 per set, had to buy everything seperately & mount them ourselves). I understand your frustration, but that's NO excuse to launch a tirade like you originally did. As some of the others said, if you have a beef, best thing to do is go to the source, CALL them, send a direct email, or if they're available, talk face to face. But I also see Darkseid's points, because I think there were some early teething problems, like brittle wheels, & the changes in air gap from one batch to another, but I think they've gotten them worked out pretty well, & the new ones sound like they're still getting better. But that doesn't mean they'll be the right tire EVERYWHERE, honestly I don't think that's possible, and if the tire a given event uses is not the best tire for the situation, the racers just have to deal with it, but at least it's the same for everyone. I know I for one can't WAIT to get my grubby little hands on some fresh greens to play with(just wondering when I'll be able to find some in stock?)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #459
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
I guess it's a good thing you weren't racing TC's about 10 years ago then, as the hot tire back then was ProLine's S3's, which were 1-4 run tires AT BEST. IF your car was set up just right, then they'd work great the first run, & then get worse every subsequent run(like the rubber was hardening from the heat cycles), & by the end of the 4th run, they'd already dropped off considerably, & you'd be lucky if your car was drivable on them. And if your setup was off by much at ALL, they'd simply SHRED IN ONE RUN(I know because I did it a few times, very frustrating). Compared to that, today's tires are a GREAT value for the money(& even 10 years ago, we were paying upwards of $50 per set, had to buy everything seperately & mount them ourselves). I understand your frustration, but that's NO excuse to launch a tirade like you originally did. As some of the others said, if you have a beef, best thing to do is go to the source, CALL them, send a direct email, or if they're available, talk face to face. But I also see Darkseid's points, because I think there were some early teething problems, like brittle wheels, & the changes in air gap from one batch to another, but I think they've gotten them worked out pretty well, & the new ones sound like they're still getting better. But that doesn't mean they'll be the right tire EVERYWHERE, honestly I don't think that's possible, and if the tire a given event uses is not the best tire for the situation, the racers just have to deal with it, but at least it's the same for everyone. I know I for one can't WAIT to get my grubby little hands on some fresh greens to play with(just wondering when I'll be able to find some in stock?)....
Point taken. I have been racing for about 7 years and started with mounting Pits and Sorex's. Sometimes as a little guy your opinion doesn't matter unless you take extreme measures.

RedRocket

Team West Coast Hobbies
NWIC 2008/09
RedRocketRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #460
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
you might want to try a softer tire (greens), ive noticed ay my local track that greens wear alot better than blues

interesting, you would think a softer compound would wear even faster, but if you say it works for you im willing to give it a try.

HB Cyclone Moore Speed WCE Edition - HB/BMI Cyclone(foam)
Team Magic G4RS pwered by EB mods and O.S. engines
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #461
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mike View Post
interesting, you would think a softer compound would wear even faster, but if you say it works for you im willing to give it a try.
in some situations where the car slides alot, a softer tire wears better because it is sliding less. it all depends on the track and the condidtions. there are some weeks greens are better, some weeks blues are better, it all depends on the bite of the track

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:25 AM   #462
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocketRacing View Post
Point taken. I have been racing for about 7 years and started with mounting Pits and Sorex's. Sometimes as a little guy your opinion doesn't matter unless you take extreme measures.

RedRocket
if your not burned out, come to FW sunday, relax and have some "fun" at a out door race.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:18 AM   #463
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
I know I for one can't WAIT to get my grubby little hands on some fresh greens to play with(just wondering when I'll be able to find some in stock?)....
Better hurry, Stormer has two pair left in stock.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #464
Tech Elite

Hey Jack: message left at office, and PM sent.

Thanks,

TZR
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #465
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
Better hurry, Stormer has two pair left in stock.
Ah, thanks for the heads up.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote