R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskwarmer View Post
For drifting I don't change a thing except my tires. My race setup is pretty close to what rc guru described on my pro 4, except I have diffs front and rear. I just change out to hpi x-patterns and I can drift pretty darn good with those. And they last pretty good too. Most people seem to like the low-speed drifting with low grip tires, but I like it hot and fast, just like the real thing.
thats awsome that you can do that, but r/c drifting isnt all about speed. well it can be and thats where the hpi type A radials come in. but other than that, its more about battling, and you cant battle if both cars are speeding crazily up and down the track..the fun is where you see the chase car get really really close to the lead car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnitE View Post
Is the Hpi E10 drift good cause i have one and could not really test its drift power at Home~
the e10 chassis is a decent drift chassis for beginners. and if you just lock the rear diff then it will drift very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagiburn View Post
I am assuming that you have seen a drift race before? I personally finding it very borrrring. No offense to drifters, but I just find it very slowww. It took racers a long time to do a lap.
not to be a smartass or anything, but drifting isnt racing. you may find it boring but it gives a rush both watching and driving. drifting isn't about who gets to the finish line first but its more of angle and control.. for example: how well the chase car can follow the lead car angle speed and line.. drifting is about the tandems (battling) and thats where the excitement is! i mean..think about it. ever try to follow someone around the track, with the exact line and speed? well, now, try it sideways.

Last edited by Valentin.H; 04-25-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Valentin.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

I cant wait to get it sideways. RC GURU thanks for posting some useful info on how to set up a drift car. I will put to use. I have a losi xxx-s that I am going to dedicate to drifting. I bought some pre-cut ABS pipe for the tires. Planning on running a 19t Money with a duratrax streak esc, stock servo. Will this be descent set up? Just wondering what your thoughts where on the xxx-s as a drifter and the use of the ABS for tires? I was also planning on locking the front and rear diffs??

Thanks
Big Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 AM   #18
Tech Elite

it should be a good starting point. 27t is a good base level for a beginner and so is 19t. lock the rear diff or get a front spool and put it in the rear. dont lock the front...keep it as a ball diff..im sure a xxx-s will be a great drifter once you get it dialed in.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:03 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

TA05 would be good also...Easy to get to parts for and very easy to work on....And a large range of upgrades also
RevXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:04 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Talking

Thanks for the info guys

Guru, Are the ABS tires a good starting point too?

TA05 are Great Cars. I wish I had an extra one. The one I have is Awsome!!

Thanks

Last edited by Big Midget; 04-26-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimerip87gt View Post
Thanks for the info guys

Guru, Are the ABS tires a good starting point too?

TA05 are Great Cars. I wish I had an extra one. The one I have is Awsome!!

Thanks
yep ta05s are awsome, i run one.

i dont run abs for specific reasons, it can be fast but most of the time it has a very slippery nature. i run hpi type Ts. $20 for 4 "drift" tires i guess can seem harsh but compared to rubber grip tires and all the stuff people usually buy to race, $20 for a set of 4 tires is nothing. abs is cheap and is a good starting point for learners but i believe if you run abs alot, it will wear down your CVDs. probably because it is a solid carcass tire. id suggest the hpi type t tires..or if you dont have deep enough pockets right now then id probably start off with ABS. i suggest buying pipes and cutting them out yourself and rounding the edges off so you dont get caught in any bumps but if you dont have a router then just buy some abs tires off ebay.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Thanks again Guru

I will put all of your advice to work on my drift car

It might be a while before I get it finished. I'll let you know how it turns out

I need some spare parts for my TA-05, like control arms c-hubs and so on. Do you know of any good places besides ebay I might check??

Thanks