R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Sway Bars

How much of a diffrance will sawy bars make on a road/ parking lot course ???
sorry I'm a nub
Armedforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Here is an extract of something I found from another forum, hope it helps

"With roll bars it enables you to run a softer sprung car without having the bodyroll effect of having it soft so you can create more grip through the shocks and carry more speed through the corners. But on bumpy tracks it can make the car unpredictable at speed".

From my own experience, I don't like how sway bars change the cars handling, (The car felt "floaty" and no feel of control on power) but this could have been because my spring/oil rate did not suit the sway bar I was trying to use with it.

So in short, unless you are changing your oil and springs to match the sway bar, you may make things worse

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
"With roll bars it enables you to run a softer sprung car without having the bodyroll effect of having it soft so you can create more grip through the shocks and carry more speed through the corners. But on bumpy tracks it can make the car unpredictable at speed".
As tc3team alluded, sway bars not only can make a huge difference in how a car handles - both positively and negatively - they are also one of those things that works for some folks and doesn't for others. And thus, me giving you my preferences will do you little good as drivers and driving styles vary so greatly.

I prefer to call them "sway bars" because when I think of rollbars those are part of the rollcage (or in place of) in full-sized 1:1 vehicles - but as the name suggests they are intended to contol how much a car sways (or rolls) through the corners. And thus, in realtiy, they are a fine-tuning aid used in setting up your car and their useage or choice can change from track to track and surface to surface.

To me they make a huge difference on how a car performs.
The big thing is that you're going to have to do some experimenting, as well as going onto the website of whichever manufacturer produced your car as they often have team driver set-up tips, to find just what works for you.

And finally, keep in mind - and though this may sound a bit odd - that front sway bars help control the rear of the car (via how rear traction is generated and when), and that rear sway bars control the front of the car (via how they react to steering input).

- hope this helps, and I'm sure others will chime in with additional info
RocketRob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Thank you both for response, I will expirince with and with out will see what happens like I said I'm new to rc car world so there is alot to learn about this great Hobby of racing.
Armedforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I think that RocketRob nailed it... sway bars will make the car FEEL like it has more traction at the other end of the car. ie... front bar will stick the rear, rear bar will stick the front or make the car like it has more steering.

In my opinion, on high traction, smooth asphalt tracks, if your shocks and suspension geometry is correct, you'll be faster without bars. In this instance, bars could make body roll worse because they won't allow the suspension to balance itself as weight is transfered in transition. So it'll feel like the car is "bound up" or has to much grip.

In low grip situations, a front bar can make the car feel "pushy" or like it has little steering. this is because it aids in transfer of weight at the rear of the car. This feeling is just something that you will have to test and choose for your driving style how the car works best.

Sometimes it's best to ask a "fast guy" at your local track what he's doing in that current situation. Being new, it's probably hard to determine if the track is really good or just so so. Typically, parking lot tracks are a little rough and can be dirty, which will keep your tires from getting a grip on the track. Tuning can be difficult in these situations unless you've done it before.

Oh, also, get a set up sheet for your car and take notes at the track, that way the next time out you're allready that much further ahead!!

Gabe
Old 04-26-2008, 04:59 AM   #6
Tech Adept

if your car spins out a lot at high speed coner, use the sway bar.

if your car has very hard springs, don't use the sway bar.

if your car has very soft springs, use the sway bar.

if your car has extremly low CG like the F1 cars, no need to use the sway bar.

sway bar basicly adds spring rate to your car springs to the side by side movement, despite the forward back movement is still only relation to the spring's spring rate.
TA05MS, F201, F103GT, RS4 Mini, TopForce (original), Mini Inferno, **Tamiya BMT 931 K4** "I am a new soul, welcome to the new world, so proud to joint the TEAM MORON. lalalala" We love Onions products, so touching. COL - cry out loud
zenithrr is offline   Reply With Quote