http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...11103611851.a5

Thanks,
Pizza
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 08:28 AM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Although I have never used it, in theory it would work good. The problem with it is it will take forever to balance a car, because you can only work with 1 corner at a time on the scale. IRS makes a really nice 4 scale tweak board, although more expensive, if you have the funds, it is definately the way to go...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Integy Weight distribution tool info wanted

Quote:
Originally posted by PizzaDude
Does anyone use this tool?
How good is it?
Does it really work, or not....

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...11103611851.a5

Thanks,
Pizza
THe Local track wner has one...I think that I`ll try his out and give you a report of how it works

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 02:09 PM   #4
Tech Master

Hi Dave,

I'ld appreciate that very much!

Pizza
Old 07-26-2003, 10:25 PM   #5
Tech Regular

The system will work, but it'll kill you, doing one wheel at a time and going for 5 or 6 laps around the car before you get it right.

I have a much better system for you.

I went to a local electronics store (Jaycar) Where I bought 4 electronic kithcen scales for about $30 USD each. YOu just put a scale under each wheel, take the car off, turn the scales on and put the car back down. Give it a squish on the suspension, and take a look at all four cornerwieghts. Then you know exactly how much to adjust and where. And a further tip. Set your car up for level ride hight all around, and then put it on the scales. Where it is light is where you should add whight to get a good tweek on the chassis.

Hope this helps you guys.

Cheers, Chris
BagofSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:06 AM   #6
Tech Prophet

How accurate are all of the scales you use? If you put the same tire on each one, will they all read the same weight?
Old 07-27-2003, 06:02 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Yes, mine are all exactly the same. I bought 4 the same at the same time, and they are all calibrated the same.

Beside even if they were ten grams out, it'd still be the best system, especially if you knew it was out beforehand.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:12 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

Thats cool, I would want all the scales to be calibrated the same if I were going to buy 4 individual ones.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:53 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Almost all the cheaper electronic scales won't hold their calibration after a while. The cheaper ones can be $30-40ea but the good ones are $80-100ea. Besides the cost issue, Integy says the calibration issue is why they use one scale with three stands instead of using four digital scales.
RickyIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:02 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

The IRS board doesn't seem to use anything cheap... Can't the scales be re-calibrated?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:05 AM   #11
Tech Regular

OK, I tried to help you out. I'll give it one more try, and then I'm done.

My scales cost the equivalent of USD29.50. Theyy were fairly cheap, as this is an electronics store. I saw very similar scales for $57 in a department store. After one year of use, they still read exactly the same, each one with each other, and the same numbers as the day I bought them.

From experience, a single turn of the shock colar will change the ride hight of a Schumacher Mission, Xray Or Tamiya Evo by around 0.5mm, and the weight on that corner by 40grams. That is over 10%. (Depending on spring and angle obviously). Also please remember that by increasing the corner load on the RR tire, you will also move some weight to the LF, and take weight off from the RF and LR. If you think you have a hope of keeping track of all that with one scale, you are crazy. I tried at first with two scales and two stands, but is really wasn't worth it.

If you don't want a digital readout of the weight, just by a tweek station. It will be more accurate to set the car up. Then use the single scale just to check whatweights you have.

Now, I don't want to be an ass to you guys, but if you are curious about why I think I know so much, I am a professional Race Engineer in Formula 3, and setting cornerwights is elementary setup, and I can tell you now, no-body ever uses one scale and moves it around and around the car 4 or 5 times until the corners match up!

Old 07-28-2003, 06:40 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Scales for real race car are relatively thin, their sensors are less than few percent of the car's height. Using four digital scales in r/c would work in theory but there are several issues Mr. Profession didn't mention. Most cheap digital scales are as tall as a 1/10 touring car, also these digital scales use a plastic housing for it's base and another plastic tray on top. The only way to make a 4 scale system work right is to first make sure that all four scales have the same exact height. This involves having a perfectly flat surface and shim the top plastic tray until all four corners are leveled. Scales are supposed to be calibrated correctly when they're new but who is to say the calibration would stay? By the way, make sure that you install a set of setup wheel.
RickyIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:01 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Ricky,

you have some good and valid points, but honestly, you are wrong on this. The differences in moulding are absolutely miniscule on the scales I bought. I have the equipment to measure this. I would assume most are similar. They are also less than an inch thick, and as I have said, are well calibrated, and are still set correctly. Yes, they do have to be set on a flat surface, but this is the same for any set situation, if it's ride hight, geometry, or corners, on a tweek station, 4 scales or 1 and 3 stands.

I am not trying to show anybody up here. I am just trying to help. I've said what I can, and am unsubscribing now. If anyone has other questions, just pm me.

Cheers, Chris.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:41 AM   #14
Tech Master

Chriss,

If i'ld want to keep the cost down, would then using 2 scales be an option.
Or would 4scales be the only way?!

I do have a good tweakboard.
But for initial weight distribution I'ld like to use a good scale setup station or similar tool.

Chriss, and all of you I appreciate all your contributions to this topic. Thanks.

Keep it going please....but be nice.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:57 PM   #15
Tech Adept

PizzaDude,
It can be done with one, but very time consuming. Two is better, but four is by far the best because you will instantly see the results of your action at all four wheels, otherwise it is a bit of chasing your tail because every change you make for one wheel will affect the readings at the other wheels.
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote