R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-21-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Lipo Balancer Questions

I am considering the transition from Nimh to Lipo and have been doing my research. I understand the need for cell balancing, however, I am confused as how a balancer can compute the impedance of a series/parallel pack ? If it was all series I can see how it would work but not a combination of the two.

Is it even necessary to have a balancer if I am not planning on charging to get the max out of the pack ? Meaning peak charge it until some heat is felt.

I have a Ice Lipo charger. Assuming somebody makes a balancer that would work with all combinations of 7.4volt Lipo cells which would you recommend.
Good Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

for the balancer I know quite a few people that use one from herehttp://www.trakpower.com/

hope that helps
www.liverc.com
bill941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Beer View Post
I am considering the transition from Nimh to Lipo and have been doing my research. I understand the need for cell balancing, however, I am confused as how a balancer can compute the impedance of a series/parallel pack ? If it was all series I can see how it would work but not a combination of the two.

Is it even necessary to have a balancer if I am not planning on charging to get the max out of the pack ? Meaning peak charge it until some heat is felt.

I have a Ice Lipo charger. Assuming somebody makes a balancer that would work with all combinations of 7.4volt Lipo cells which would you recommend.
A Balancer doesnt computer anything. Its simply a voltage comparitor circuit that will discharge (around 300mamps) which ever circuit has the greater voltage, until the cells are equal.

When charging a Lipo, if the battery gets warm, then you have already damaged the battery, at which time I would be burying it some sand.

Have you thought of getting a charge with a builtin balancer? I know Thunder Power makes one, and the Hyperion charges have them too.

Shawn.
Shawn68z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Balancer will depend on what packs you buy. If you go Orion, or Trakpower, both will work on Trakpowers new balancer. If you go with a Trinity, Core, SMC which have a blanace plug outside the case, you could get a Hyperion LBA10, or the Maxamps one. Just be sure to get the correct balance plug connector since none of these are industry standard. There is also a stand alone balancer made by astroflight called the blinky that can be used prior to charging to balance the cells. BTW I use 2 ice chagers that have been flawless.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna call MaxAmps and have them hook me up.
Good Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I have an LBA10 and just got a new Elite 4800 4S pack. When I balance it, it takes like 1-2 hours, sometimes longer. When it is balancing the lights flicker on the cells it is balancing, according to the instructions that is slow/medium discharge. Is there a way to make it do a fast discharge (solid lights) to speed it up? This is taking longer to balance then charging the whole pack.

Sparrowhawk XT, TC5, T4, SC10, Tek18X, Exotek R18, MGT Truggy
RC8E CC2200KV AE/RCM Conversion
RC8T CC2200KV AE Conversion
Jamie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The easiest thing to do is buy a charger w/balancer built in. Hyperion makes some nice ones that come in under $100, and offer some nice additional features, like upgradable software. They also have adapters for every type of pack, including the Orion style. I find that balance charging doesn't take any longer than charging without the balancer plugged in. The ones built into chargers are nice since they show you the actual voltage of each cell.

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3630
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Default figured it out

I just realized that I can connect my LBA10 to my superbrain 989 and balance while charging. I was trying to balance the pack separately, which I was fine for my 2S pack, which usually took less then 2 min.

Sparrowhawk XT, TC5, T4, SC10, Tek18X, Exotek R18, MGT Truggy
RC8E CC2200KV AE/RCM Conversion
RC8T CC2200KV AE Conversion
Jamie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I now use a Hyperion charger but I think the whole balancer thing is a bit over hyped. I did a little test when I bought my balancer.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=225800
I do not think they hurt, it may even be good to do every once in a while but the stories of peoples homes burning down and all the other hype is pure theatrics.

Tony
under200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by under200 View Post
I now use a Hyperion charger but I think the whole balancer thing is a bit over hyped. I did a little test when I bought my balancer.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=225800
I do not think they hurt, it may even be good to do every once in a while but the stories of peoples homes burning down and all the other hype is pure theatrics.

Tony
Well we have a customer that has a burned to the ground Ford Explorer that will tell you that the hype is real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are shop has tested several lipos and when they do go up the heat gun stopped registering at 880 degrees plus. That is plenty of heat to start a fire with ease.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
Well we have a customer that has a burned to the ground Ford Explorer that will tell you that the hype is real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are shop has tested several lipos and when they do go up the heat gun stopped registering at 880 degrees plus. That is plenty of heat to start a fire with ease.
That is reassuring...
Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Any container that stores energy can release that energy in a very spectacular way (read it blowed up gewd! ). Lipo, nimh, lion, lithium manganese, nicad, gas tanks, oil cans they all can blow up they all can catch on fire they all will kill you if you say their name 6 times in a mirror.

So my advice, don't say their names 6 times in a mirror. Take precautions, keep your batteries in a safe container. I keep my nimh in a racer's edge battery box so they can't short, i keep my lipos stored in my lipo sack. When i keep them in the house i put them (nimh and lipo) in an ammo box i bought at army surplus. When i charge them i keep a close eye on them, a cheap 15$ webcam will do the trick if you see something weird like smoke fire etc, go turn it off.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post

I too know someone who burnt up their truck charging their lipo. Problem was that they were not using their head. The hooked the charger to the car battery then hooked up the lipo. Next they closed the hood of the truck. So they had a battery charging near a hot engine with no venting. Any battery would have caught fire in this case. Lipo's never get warm when properly handled. If they do toss the battery and get a new one.

Under200
under200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have the Hyperion EOS0606I and have been charing my new Yea Racin lipo's and balances them at the same time.

http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0606i-AC-DC.htm
http://www.ultralinehobbies.com/inde...=559&parent=56
Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by espresso1967 View Post
I have the Hyperion EOS0606I and have been charing my new Yea Racin lipo's and balances them at the same time.

http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0606i-AC-DC.htm
http://www.ultralinehobbies.com/inde...=559&parent=56
I have the Duo version, and just put the new 1.5 software on it last night. The "store" charge is awesome.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote