Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tekin RS ESC sensored >

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Old 02-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Begin with a basic setup. See what the motor temp does and what the speed is and acceleration. Keep the Turbo on 0.
Than look to the acceleration of the car. Id that is right the gearing is good. Look ad the moment of the Boost is coming in ad the right time. Not to fast and not to late. If so look ad the total acceleration. If that is to low narrow the RPM range or start adding some Boost.
As you than come top speed to short, first ad some motor timing and if that's not enough you can use the Turbo.
Start with a high Turbo delay and not to much Turbo. Turbo ramp on 2
If it's enough speed that the car keeps accelerating, than look ad the moment that the Turbo comes in.
Lower it till you get a smooth acceleration till it's top speed.
Than you can set the Turbo ramp to 3 if you want.
You don't need max Turbo on smaller tracks. 5 to 10 is enough on most tracks and the smaller even 0.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M-Technic
This thread is an (overwhelmingly) awesome source of knowledge and information. Before I continue with any more questions I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and debating in a mature matter. I'd especially like to thank those who have PM'd me to share their setups and bounce theory back and forth!

Alright, so on to my next theory. From what I have seen, besides a few "different" setups such as Schreff's Snowbirds setup, it seems like there is a general consensus on a lot of the main aspects of the setup. So my question now is:

When I put my car on the track and I know the setup on the speedo is close, but not perfect, do I keep going back to the ESC settings on the Hotwire and continually tweak that? Or is there a point where the ESC is close and I should start experimenting with gearing again?

With the SPX the process was pretty much: set to profile 8, maybe adjust the timing on the motor a little, and it was mostly gearing for temps. Now there are so many more variables that I'm not sure where the starting points are anymore.
T.J.:

I try to make things as simple as possible anymore as I'm like everybody else here. All these wonderful settings we have to play with get a little overwhelming. The setup I used at Birds is what we've (Larry, Hanulec, and myself) been using for the past 4-5 weeks at our home track (Horsham R/C) without changing a thing. We've really only played with car setup and gearing. It felt fast, but our home track is all Tekins. No LRP or Black Diamond to really compare to. When we went to Snowbirds and saw we were really fast, I guess we hit on something. That just means we can really focus more on gearing and car setup. The same happened with 2.00 and 1.99. We found something we really liked and just left it be. I think 2.03 can be much the same. Find something you like and stick to it.

Also, just an FYI... The setup Randy posted that I provided for 13.5 is GREAT for Duo1 at middle hole, Duo2 at 1 mark from full timing, and Speed Passion type motors. It WILL cook LRP motors in like 5-10 laps.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was

The setup Larry put on my RS at the Birds is nasty, too nasty for me a few hours before the mains with a few minutes track time (my fault). I can see it tearing up my home track though. Gotta get the hotwire this week after I recover. I have no doubt that I will be happy now that I finally got one and may or may not vary much from what Larry put on there.

Rod
Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by schreff
T.J.:

I try to make things as simple as possible anymore as I'm like everybody else here. All these wonderful settings we have to play with get a little overwhelming. The setup I used at Birds is what we've (Larry, Hanulec, and myself) been using for the past 4-5 weeks at our home track (Horsham R/C) without changing a thing. We've really only played with car setup and gearing. It felt fast, but our home track is all Tekins. No LRP or Black Diamond to really compare to. When we went to Snowbirds and saw we were really fast, I guess we hit on something. That just means we can really focus more on gearing and car setup. The same happened with 2.00 and 1.99. We found something we really liked and just left it be. I think 2.03 can be much the same. Find something you like and stick to it.

Also, just an FYI... The setup Randy posted that I provided for 13.5 is GREAT for Duo1 at middle hole, Duo2 at 1 mark from full timing, and Speed Passion type motors. It WILL cook LRP motors in like 5-10 laps.
Ok so I can use this setup for the Speedpassion V3 also?

Do you have a good setup for a 10,5T LRP X11?

With this setup, do you have more acceleration power because of the Turbo delay on 0 and that you use the Turbo to accelerate the first meters?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Has anyone tried this zero delay set-up in 1/12th yet? If not, any idea where to start with it for 10.5 1/12th? I might want to play around with it at the next race. Could be fun
Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Man, def. kicking myself in the a$$ now. I kept telling my roomates at snowbirds how I thought that a zero delay would work... never had the balls to try it. Oh well... I guess .1 was still pretty fast haha.

Im extremely happy with my tekin and dont see a change anytime soon.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
Man, def. kicking myself in the a$$ now. I kept telling my roomates at snowbirds how I thought that a zero delay would work... never had the balls to try it. Oh well... I guess .1 was still pretty fast haha.

There is a saying,you never know unless you try
Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Chris Adams

What was your setup?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mikky32
Ok so I can use this setup for the Speedpassion V3 also?

Do you have a good setup for a 10,5T LRP X11?

With this setup, do you have more acceleration power because of the Turbo delay on 0 and that you use the Turbo to accelerate the first meters?
Yes, the setup will work with a Speed Passion 3.0. I don't know what timing you'd want on that motor though. I know Larry tried a 3.0 and didn't like it much as the Duo was still quicker. Then again, it just might have been motor timing/gearing that wasn't right, but we had limited time to work on stuff. I don't have any info on the X11 motors as I've never had one nor has anyone in our crew.

Acceleration is pretty strong on the 0 delay. I wouldn't say it's crazy as you won't notice a huge difference with it at 0. It felt almost as if the timing boost was working hard first, then turbo took over from there. You just have to try it to feel it. Some might like it, some might not.

I ran older model Speed Passion 10.5 (black can) with a mod rotor in it for Modified. It was crazy fast cuz you could use all the timing and turbo available. I also ran a Duo2 10.5 at 1 notch from full timing and ran the following setup...

22500 end rpm
5300 start rpm
Throttle Profile 5
Brake Power 80
Drag Brake 40
Neutral Width 10
No Current Limiter
3.0 Ramp
0 turbo delay
55 timing boost
10 turbo
BL Forward Only
8.0 final drive

The higher timing boost let the motor hit harder off corners, but it did get the motor up to about 170 degrees. I wasn't much worried about temp, I just wanted it to accel hard as it had to keep up with 4.0 motors... and it did.

As for 12th scale 10.5... here's what I remember... (Fairtrace has all my racing stuff so I can't exactly hook it up to check. )

8500 end rpm
1500 start rpm
2.0 ramp
0.2 turbo delay
45 timing boost
20 turbo boost
Throttle Profile 3
80 Brake power
0 drag brake
10 neutral width
no current limit or lipo cutoff
1 cell mode checked
Gearing was 80/35 with 1.68" tires
Duo2 10.5 at 1 notch up from 0 timing

This setup was stupid fast in 12th, but you had to be smooth on the throttle. If you pushed too hard, you would get the motor up over 200 degrees and I even dumped one round. That's right, dumped a 5000mah pack with a 10.5. LOL. It could've used lower gearing, like 80/33, which would've helped off the corner at no sacrifice to top speed. I'm sure Donny had a different setup than me as we really didn't talk much about it. He was running a different motor timing setup and gearing too, so I'm not sure what he had in the speedo.

Hope some of this info helps.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Yes, the setup will work with a Speed Passion 3.0. I don't know what timing you'd want on that motor though. I know Larry tried a 3.0 and didn't like it much as the Duo was still quicker. Then again, it just might have been motor timing/gearing that wasn't right, but we had limited time to work on stuff. I don't have any info on the X11 motors as I've never had one nor has anyone in our crew.

Acceleration is pretty strong on the 0 delay. I wouldn't say it's crazy as you won't notice a huge difference with it at 0. It felt almost as if the timing boost was working hard first, then turbo took over from there. You just have to try it to feel it. Some might like it, some might not.

I ran older model Speed Passion 10.5 (black can) with a mod rotor in it for Modified. It was crazy fast cuz you could use all the timing and turbo available. I also ran a Duo2 10.5 at 1 notch from full timing and ran the following setup...

22500 end rpm
5300 start rpm
Throttle Profile 5
Brake Power 80
Drag Brake 40
Neutral Width 10
No Current Limiter
3.0 Ramp
0 turbo delay
55 timing boost
10 turbo
BL Forward Only
8.0 final drive

The higher timing boost let the motor hit harder off corners, but it did get the motor up to about 170 degrees. I wasn't much worried about temp, I just wanted it to accel hard as it had to keep up with 4.0 motors... and it did.

As for 12th scale 10.5... here's what I remember... (Fairtrace has all my racing stuff so I can't exactly hook it up to check. )

8500 end rpm
1500 start rpm
2.0 ramp
0.2 turbo delay
45 timing boost
20 turbo boost
Throttle Profile 3
80 Brake power
0 drag brake
10 neutral width
no current limit or lipo cutoff
1 cell mode checked
Gearing was 80/35 with 1.68" tires
Duo2 10.5 at 1 notch up from 0 timing

This setup was stupid fast in 12th, but you had to be smooth on the throttle. If you pushed too hard, you would get the motor up over 200 degrees and I even dumped one round. That's right, dumped a 5000mah pack with a 10.5. LOL. It could've used lower gearing, like 80/33, which would've helped off the corner at no sacrifice to top speed. I'm sure Donny had a different setup than me as we really didn't talk much about it. He was running a different motor timing setup and gearing too, so I'm not sure what he had in the speedo.

Thanks,
The LRP X11 is between the speedpassion and the Tekin by gearing. It can handle a lot of head and runs better as it gets around 200F
I want to keep it under the 180F but I will try your 0 Turbo delay setup on it.
I have only 2 races to go with this motor and than I can dump it. I think that I don't even race 2 races any more with it and that I will run the Speedpassion V3 13,5T in the 10,5T class.

I can't train for Sunday so I will try it just before the race and by the qualifications.
I think as I don't feel that it works in the first few try's that I go back to my own setup to reach the A final. I want all races this year to race in the A final.
I have now 3 races raced and all 3 in the A final so I have only 2 to go.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
There is a saying,you never know unless you try
Ya, only had one motor for the week. Wasn't gonna burn it up trying something that no one had said anything about prior to Birds.

Originally Posted by mikky32
What was your setup?
18 dbreak
5 tprofile
50 timing
10 turbo
.1 delay
10 neutral width
5000 starting
100 brake
6.08 fdr
Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Duo's and the black can SpeedPassions share guts (same part numbers on the sensor sensor boards and rotors and the stators look identical). A Duo 1 in the lowest timing hole is identical to a black can SpeedPassion. I haven't thoroughly investigated the 3.0s, like I have the black can versions, but after tearing a couple down they look to be the same internally also. The only differences I have found between the two are the outer cases. Its just a matter of finding equivalent motor timing positions IMHO.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I am no pro and don't have as many hours into the Sentry software as Yang, but I thought I would throw up some data I down loaded from my 13.5 XXX-CR and my 13.5 Mi3 that I ran in practice last Saturday.

I'm just an average driver so don't look too carefully at these

1. 13.5 Rubber Tire Sedan-1 Lap
2. 13.5 2wd Buggy-1 Lap

Look for the flat part of the throttle curve to identify the straight. RPMs ran as high as 34,600 in Sedan and 32,000 in Buggy. Both tracks have a roughly 100' straight.
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RS ESC sensored-ss02022010175443.jpg   Tekin RS ESC sensored-ss02022010175947.jpg  
Old 02-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

interestin stuff

R
Old 02-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

It sure was Tekin city this week at the Snowbirds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.