Old 12-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

where there new caps or the old one
Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
We doubled checked all the wiring. (actually like 3 of us did including a Tekin team driver). What would be the most likely component to be causing the ESCs to fry? The motor? He is going to get a 3rd RS but doesn't want it to happen again.

Wow this sounds exactly what I am experiencing. Really bummed out about the speedos.. I already have a 3rd one and that one is ok... I wonder if there is a bad batch?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
where there new caps or the old one

What do the new caps and old caps look like? I wonder if it is the caps causing the frying?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We doubled checked all the wiring. (actually like 3 of us did including a Tekin team driver). What would be the most likely component to be causing the ESCs to fry? The motor? He is going to get a 3rd RS but doesn't want it to happen again.
I don't think the cap would do it and it would pop if it was backwards.

I would start with a known good motor and sensor wire next time if you can. Otherwise look at the sensor wire for problems (we tug on the wires not the connctor). Also, check out the motor (check the incuctance to check for shorts, or just turn the motor over by hand it will feel funny if it's burned up.)

Might even want to open the motor up and see if the winds are burned or some thing like that.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Would the sensor wire cause it to fry though? The ESC won't even power on with hotwire plugged in and nothing else. It will allow power through it for the receiver and servo but won't turn on at all.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

i said cap because a buddy had a similar issue with a novak havok the cap was bad
Old 12-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The chances of having 2 bad esc's are very small im certain, i would go thru EVERY wire in car, replace any suspect wires, if its 1c appy, make sure proper wires are removed/installed...u know the deal...lastly motor swap...but if the guys getting a third one, just to put in, expecting different results is crazy...hopefully he has a "donor" esc he can test, after all steps are taken, to hook-up and test...
Old 12-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
I don't think the cap would do it and it would pop if it was backwards.

I would start with a known good motor and sensor wire next time if you can. Otherwise look at the sensor wire for problems (we tug on the wires not the connctor). Also, check out the motor (check the incuctance to check for shorts, or just turn the motor over by hand it will feel funny if it's burned up.)

Might even want to open the motor up and see if the winds are burned or some thing like that.
+1
Motor winds shorted out will burn the speedo.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TommyBlazin
The chances of having 2 bad esc's are very small im certain, i would go thru EVERY wire in car, replace any suspect wires, if its 1c appy, make sure proper wires are removed/installed...u know the deal...lastly motor swap...but if the guys getting a third one, just to put in, expecting different results is crazy...hopefully he has a "donor" esc he can test, after all steps are taken, to hook-up and test...

At least in my situation, that was already been done, along with a brand new motor, lipo and sensor cable. And the exact same works just fine with other ESCs, it is really weird.

I'm sure though whatever it is, that Tekin will be able to figure it out. I hope!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would the sensor wire cause it to fry though? The ESC won't even power on with hotwire plugged in and nothing else. It will allow power through it for the receiver and servo but won't turn on at all.
Normally, no. But I have seen them get freyed out and short between the pins. They're powered so it could be a bad thing.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Well, first day with an RS Pro in 1/12 13.5/1s and I am very pleased! Found out that the one I got had the Vegas 200 software already on it and played a bit with boost and turbo. Seemed like every time I went down in pinion, it got faster.

I do however have one issue that i think I know the answer to but will ask anyway..............last run of the day, if I stopped the car, it would stall and need to be pushed to get running again. It even tried to go backwards once. I think I have the boost and turbo saet too high as I forgot that I have 10* of timing in the motor, set the boost to max and the turbo to 10, delay .2. After thinking about it on the way home, I probably have about 60* of total timming which would make sense why the dang thing would quit. Am I on the right track or should I be looking for something else? And it also had a lag most of the day which almost felt like the diff was slipping coming out of slow corners. Same problem?

I look forward to the new software update if it ends up better than what I have now!

Also, if you have registred to download the Vegas 200 software, will you get an e-mail to get the new software or will we need to register again?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I thought motor short as well but I've had a motor short with my RS twice and the RS was fine. I will have him replace the sensor wire. He will probably switch out the motor too. We just wanted to make sure it couldn't be the receiver or servo or anything like that.

I don't think a cap since it would be weird for two caps to go bad. Both of the RS's have a lot of use on them in two of his cars and it just all of a sudden happened. One stopped on the track dead during warm up laps the other stopped right when he put it on the track after replacing the first.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ran a Tekin RS for the first time in my VTA car. I played things a little conservative but all in all very impressed.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveL
Well, first day with an RS Pro in 1/12 13.5/1s and I am very pleased! Found out that the one I got had the Vegas 200 software already on it and played a bit with boost and turbo. Seemed like every time I went down in pinion, it got faster.

I do however have one issue that i think I know the answer to but will ask anyway..............last run of the day, if I stopped the car, it would stall and need to be pushed to get running again. It even tried to go backwards once. I think I have the boost and turbo saet too high as I forgot that I have 10* of timing in the motor, set the boost to max and the turbo to 10, delay .2. After thinking about it on the way home, I probably have about 60* of total timming which would make sense why the dang thing would quit. Am I on the right track or should I be looking for something else? And it also had a lag most of the day which almost felt like the diff was slipping coming out of slow corners. Same problem?

I look forward to the new software update if it ends up better than what I have now!

Also, if you have registred to download the Vegas 200 software, will you get an e-mail to get the new software or will we need to register again?
The "stalling and rolling backwards" is a sensor and/or sensor wire failure. Replace both the wire and the motor to determine which are faulty.

The lagging sensation and your experience with gearing down and going faster is a classic case of too much timing, too early. Try turning the Turbo off, then work with your FDR and the Timing Boost to get appropriate infield speeds, finally turning Turbo Boost back on with smaller timing values and working your way up.

Get cracking! You've got a week to master Vegas 200 before the fancy new updated software hits!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveL

I think you are on the right track. too much timing will cause the symptoms that you are describing. my first outing with the tekin was at vegas and one of my practices, mine did exactly the same thing. Randy looked at my setup and told me that I had too much timing for the motor to handle. Since this was my first outing, I just followed the crowd. and most were all about adding alot of timing as soon as possible. I now follow what greg sharpe posted. most of my setup are with 5-10 of timing boost, no motor timing and max on the turbo. I figure, if I am only using it on the straights, cranking the timing should not hurt. also my delay is 1.2sec. we have a huge track. our next layout will be more inline with an average size track and I will get to see what turbo delay is more inline with others. but then again with the new software, I think it is time to rethink how to setup the speedo again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.