Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tekin RS ESC sensored >

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Old 12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm not going to release the details of the sotware being tested at this time. Other than its fast!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
I'm not going to release the details of the sotware being tested at this time. Other than its fast!

I love the tease!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Hmmmm, i wonder what the improvments are........
Old 12-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Randy teases almost as well as those old 1-900 girly phone ads that used to come on late at night.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dondor
Randy teases almost as well as those old 1-900 girly phone ads that used to come on late at night.
But what Tekin provides is free
Old 12-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
How fast? Can it compete with the EA?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is it faster than the Mamba Max Pro? If my friends car pass me on the straight or out punch me off the corners then I'll think about of getting one
Old 12-16-2009, 01:37 PM
B44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hope it has something to do with the boost timimg delay,need a shorter delay then .2
Old 12-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

hey Randy.. how about taht screenshot of the new interface? Im anxious
Old 12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by B44
I hope it has something to do with the boost timimg delay,need a shorter delay then .2
I doubt it. I probably has something to do with how timing and turbo are applied.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Is it faster than the Mamba Max Pro? If my friends car pass me on the straight or out punch me off the corners then I'll think about of getting one
You cab fit 2 Tekin speedo's for 1 Mamba speedo in the car.
Damn that thing is big.

The Advance is faster than the Mamba and I hope it will compete with that, than it will beat the mamba to.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I would like to see a more linear ramp instead of the delay rolled into Turbo boost. Whatever they come up with, I'm sure it will be good.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B44
Honestly, if you feel that you need a shorter delay than .2 you're probably not using turbo correctly.

You exit a corner, and mash full throttle. If turbo were to kick in instantly you'd be throwing all that extra timing at the motor in a relatively low-rpm state, which is counter-productive. Let the motor have low-timing torque to get it spinning, and then add the turbo timing just before it winds out to get that extra RPM.

This is my generalization based on my own experience: if you think you need a shorter turbo delay, odds are you actually need a longer turbo delay.

Say you start out at .5 and the car doesn't seem quick enough. Naturally, you lower the turbo delay, and somehow it still doesn't seem quick enough. You repeat until you're at .2 and you're still not thrilled with the performance, and now you're overheating while still being outrun by the SPX guys who come off the track at 145ºF.

What gives? Using the automotive analogy that has been stated before, you're shifting into 2nd gear way too early.

I'll repeat the procedure since it hasn't come back up for a few pages:

1) Turn turbo OFF.

2) Adjust motor timing, ESC timing boost (not turbo) and gearing until you have gobs of punch and are unbeatable in the infield. You will be geared way, way shorter (higher numerically) than you ever have been before. We're talking FDR of 5.0+/- for 17.5 and 6.0+/- for 13.5 depending on the track. At this point you should be ripping everyone coming out of turns but getting pulled down the straight rather considerably. Make a note of the point at which you feel the car stops pulling.

3) Only now, start adding turbo. Start with 10 turbo and 1.0 second delay. Now, you will hit the straight, quickly top out, and then turbo will noticeably hit at some point in the straight.

4) Dial the turbo delay down by .1 sec. That point where it kicks in will be a bit closer to the point where it stopped pulling in step 2. Repeat in .1 second increments until the two points overlap.

5) Now your turbo delay is right. The last thing to do is to increase (or in some cases decrease) the turbo timing value to get the top end speed you need.

It takes a bit of time and work, but if you go step-by-step you will end up with a car that is both quick and fast.

Using the above approach I usually end up at .6-.8 turbo delay.

It sounds a bit complicated, but once you have gone through the procedure once you will have a feel for what the changes do and will be able to adjust for different tracks pretty easily.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Well I was able to speak to Jim Campbell at the iHobby show this past Oct. I asked him about how the RS is programmed (custom) vs. how LRP does it (profiles), and he did mention that they were thinking of having profiles for the type if racing you were doing...17.5, 13.5 etc. But still have the ability to customize the profiles with the Hotwire they way we do it now. That's not the part that will make it faster, but I thought it would be a cool feature. And it was my understanding that the profiles would be able to be set without the Hotwire. Not sure if that will be done or not, but I'd thought I'd share that info.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Honestly, if you feel that you need a shorter delay than .2 you're probably not using turbo correctly.

You exit a corner, and mash full throttle. If turbo were to kick in instantly you'd be throwing all that extra timing at the motor in a relatively low-rpm state, which is counter-productive. Let the motor have low-timing torque to get it spinning, and then add the turbo timing just before it winds out to get that extra RPM.

This is my generalization based on my own experience: if you think you need a shorter turbo delay, odds are you actually need a longer turbo delay.

Say you start out at .5 and the car doesn't seem quick enough. Naturally, you lower the turbo delay, and somehow it still doesn't seem quick enough. You repeat until you're at .2 and you're still not thrilled with the performance, and now you're overheating while still being outrun by the SPX guys who come off the track at 145ºF.

What gives? Using the automotive analogy that has been stated before, you're shifting into 2nd gear way too early.

I'll repeat the procedure since it hasn't come back up for a few pages:

1) Turn turbo OFF.

2) Adjust motor timing, ESC timing boost (not turbo) and gearing until you have gobs of punch and are unbeatable in the infield. You will be geared way, way shorter (higher numerically) than you ever have been before. We're talking FDR of 5.0+/- for 17.5 and 6.0+/- for 13.5 depending on the track. At this point you should be ripping everyone coming out of turns but getting pulled down the straight rather considerably. Make a note of the point at which you feel the car stops pulling.

3) Only now, start adding turbo. Start with 10 turbo and 1.0 second delay. Now, you will hit the straight, quickly top out, and then turbo will noticeably hit at some point in the straight.

4) Dial the turbo delay down by .1 sec. That point where it kicks in will be a bit closer to the point where it stopped pulling in step 2. Repeat in .1 second increments until the two points overlap.

5) Now your turbo delay is right. The last thing to do is to increase (or in some cases decrease) the turbo timing value to get the top end speed you need.

It takes a bit of time and work, but if you go step-by-step you will end up with a car that is both quick and fast.

Using the above approach I usually end up at .6-.8 turbo delay.

It sounds a bit complicated, but once you have gone through the procedure once you will have a feel for what the changes do and will be able to adjust for different tracks pretty easily.
x2
I run at the same track as Pete.

In addition to the above, if I want to get my turbo to come on early without sacrificing timing boost (acceleration), I gear lighter so I can lower my turbo delay. If I don't do this and just lower my turbo delay, my car feels sluggish.

I normally lower my timing boost so I can lower my turbo delay to get the turbo come on early, but I found out that I loose acceleration (Timing Boost).

My only beef with this speed controller is - It is not noob friendly. It took me a while to "tame" this monster. My buddy and I had to go to the track during the week to get our testing done (we only race every 2nd and 4th sunday of the month). So far, it paid off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.