Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Foxx,

You can slowly go up in boost. Chances are you're going to end up around 25-30 with NO motor timing. You will have to change your gearing if you're running no boost yet.

Motor temps will tell if you're geared right.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone experience the motors making like a cogging/grinding noise until they are up to speed?

My setup is.... 4 cell 1/12th scale,Duo 17.5 set at 0degrees (according to the endbell) Tekin RS running 1.89 software with the boost maxed out. the motor sounds fine at slow speeds and at full speed but it makes almost like a "cogging" noise coming out of the corners. Motor temps were 155 F after 8 minutes.
I also had a 10.5 do somewhat the same thing but it only did it from a dead stop/ full throttle punch (had the boost set at 15 with the 10.5)

any ideas? BTW running sensor only with both motors.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
What's a good staring point for boost if there is no motor timing? I run a 17.5 and have it geared as high as it saftly can go.
If you mean that you're already geared to come off the track at roughly 165°F with no motor timing, then there's no room to add boost. When you add boost you must adjust gearing, usually significantly depending on the amount of boost added.

If you mean that the car is geared right for the stock 12-15° motor timing and you just turned that down to zero, you can probably add 12-15° of boost safely. You would still get better performance in most cases by adjusting your gearing such that you can run 25-30° of total timing between motor and boost.

For example, I did a bunch of testing today, and where I previously geared my old 17.5 to 3.5-3.6 FDR, with zero on the can (Tekin Redline) and max boost I ended up at 4.0, and may go a touch further yet.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spruce
anyone experience the motors making like a cogging/grinding noise until they are up to speed?

My setup is.... 4 cell 1/12th scale,Duo 17.5 set at 0degrees (according to the endbell) Tekin RS running 1.89 software with the boost maxed out. the motor sounds fine at slow speeds and at full speed but it makes almost like a "cogging" noise coming out of the corners. Motor temps were 155 F after 8 minutes.
I also had a 10.5 do somewhat the same thing but it only did it from a dead stop/ full throttle punch (had the boost set at 15 with the 10.5)

If I'm not mistaken, the lowest timing setting on the Duo is 9*. I'm amazed you're able to come off at 155* in a 12th scale. Carpet? Ashpalt?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Sorry this has probably been asked a million times but I cant find it.

What is the approx FDR to run a Tekin 17.5 with v189 (using 0 motor / 30 esc timing)?
Originally Posted by reenmachine
I'm going to work on this this Sunday, same conditions. I will tell you that everyone around here runs an FDR of 3.5-3.6 with a 17.5 with other brands, so no boost. I'm going to start at 3.9 and watch temp carefully. I believe I've heard others say they went above 4.0.
Originally Posted by or8ital
Yeah I was going to start at 4 if I had to find out on my own. But that means I will be buying a bunch of spur gears to be able to test. Last year with the old firmware I had the motor timing all the way up on a DUO and ran a 3.12 FDR. Took a while to wind up but once it did it was fast. There weren't any slow sections of the track b/c it was so big.
I did a bunch of testing today with the Redline 17.5 and RS (189) and ended up at 4.0 FDR. I still have top speed to spare and nearly all the punch I could want, so I may take it a bit further yet. 165°F after 7 mins.

medium-large high-grip outdoor asphalt

sensored only

drag brake 25
brake 100
tp 3
nw 10
boost 30 (max), zero on motor
no current limit

I was very impressed with the performance!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
If I'm not mistaken, the lowest timing setting on the Duo is 9*. I'm amazed you're able to come off at 155* in a 12th scale. Carpet? Ashpalt?

carpet. Not sure on the motor timing, the direction from trinity say that where I have the endbell is 0 degrees.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spruce

I don't know if your having the same problem I did, but I was getting a LOT of diff slippage after I switched to brushless a few months ago. I'm running the diff tighter than I ever did with brushed motors...

It took me a while to recognize it as diff slip... with brushed motors, the sound of a slipping diff was different, like a high pitched screech, with the brushless, the sound was lower in pitch and nowhere near as loud... more like a grind or buzz kind of sound...
Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Trips
I don't know if your having the same problem I did, but I was getting a LOT of diff slippage after I switched to brushless a few months ago. I'm running the diff tighter than I ever did with brushed motors...

It took me a while to recognize it as diff slip... with brushed motors, the sound of a slipping diff was different, like a high pitched screech, with the brushless, the sound was lower in pitch and nowhere near as loud... more like a grind or buzz kind of sound...
Its definately not the diff slipping. The motor will make the noise at about 1/4 throttle with the car on the stand free wheeling. I didnt take my laptop to the track with me so i couldnt try less timing boost. I'm wondering if its a timing issue or maybe something in the 1.89 software. I know they said a few other guys cars were doing the same thing last weekend (I wasnt there) and one of the guys is a very fast(well known) stock racer.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Spruce,

What's the motor timing set at? What TP setting?

That sounds is generally a result of too much timing.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Spruce,

What's the motor timing set at? What TP setting?

That sounds is generally a result of too much timing.
According to the trinity directions that come with the motor the motor is set to 0*. TP is set to 3
Old 03-23-2009, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

I drove saterday against a 9,5 lipo with my Tekin RS Pro and a 10,5 on 5 cell.
He was impressed about the power my car hath.
He was driving all day with someone els that drives a LRP TC with a 10,5 on 5 cell.
He told me that he was impressed by the acceleration and power my car has.

So iw as happy to hear that.
Also i drove against the other driver with the LRP TC. I drove to him if he was standing still
When i passed him i drove away from him.
even with old tiers.
I use his old tiers. So when he finds them not good any more, than i drive on them till they fall apart.
I have than a lot of under steer but the acceleration is so good that i go faster. On new tiers i go a lot faster, also on the straight.
Now our top speed is quit the same but i now that it will go faster with other tiers.
Now i can't wait till April 5th. Than we have the first race of the year.
Yesterday we hath a rallycup but that is with a 27T motor.
Second place and finaly i closed the gap to the nr 1.
So with the Tekin RS Pro and the Tekin redline motor i beliefe that i make a change to come on the podium one time this year.
and ma by a top 6 on the end of the year.

Thanks Randy for the setup. It works great.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 AM
CFR
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by acyrier
I think a "save settings" would be an EXCELLENT feature of hotwire.

is it any nearer?

also would we be able to re apply the saved settings @ a single click?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default ROAR Nats

Just wanted to take a minute to say congrats to everyone at the ROAR nats! I couldn't believe how many people had the Tekin RS as the speed controller of choice!! The 189 with max boost was the hot ticket again!! I don't know how many speedoes I set up for people there. The Tekin speedo also aided in dynoing NUMEROUS motors!! I went threw a roll of paper checking motors on my CE dyno with Tekin speedcontroller integrated in.
Thanks for the support!
Wayne Gerber
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Wayne hit the nail on the head. From what I seen there were about 1/4 of the pits with TEKIN speedos. I too used the 189 software and believe me WOW what power I had. Thanks TEKIN and Randy for terrific products.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Congrat's Eli...

Now we can breath in stock for 5 year's..LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.