Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

for the tekin RS and RS Pro (these are the sensored ones right?) , using the hotwire setup that allows you to control various settings like the castlelink setup from what I have heard, is there an option for custom voltage cutoff?

Reason I ask is that with SMC now making a 1 cell 1/12 scale sized lipo, I would like to give it a try, but the only 1/10 scale ESCs that I know of right now that has it so you can set your cutoff voltage anyway you like are sensorless which from what I understand don't play nice with the spec motors like 17.5T etc.

But with the RS and RS Pro, maybe this is an ESC that can do what is needed so there is no wait for Novak to get there booster circuit or whatever it is called done?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Cain,
Using the Hotwire there is a custom voltage profile.
You can adjust it down to 3.0v which would be perfect for the 1/12 lipo.

Dayton
Old 11-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Figured I'd chime in here for some info for some of you who may be having problems with setup using Futaba radios! I don't own a 3PK, I own an older 3PJ radio and when I first got the speedo I simply couldn't get the speedo through the setup process, it just would never complete it. The led indicator lights would show the radio to be out of adjustment, so I fidgetted with it forever changing adjustments on the radio to different percentages and in the end having no luck! Come to find out the servo reversing switch for throttle needed to be in reverse and not normal for this speedo, I found this out by using a different model memory for setup on this speedo, one that had a setup for an old Tekin G10 speedo which had the setting in reverse. and it worked the first time. Once I changed the servo reverse to reverse, it setup on the model I wanted on the first try! I can't say that this is the same issue that some or all of you are having but it is something worth trying if you can't seem to get it to setup. I literally spent hours trying to get this thing to work thinking there was something wrong with it only to find out it was one simple change that made all the difference! Hope this helps some of you out!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As far as RX caps go, spektrum offers their own. I have used the B1 cap as well as the G11 cap as they both are great caps. Just wire them up to an old esc or servo plug harness.

The spektrum lets go so fast it feels like a glitch or radio hit(crystal days).
Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I have a question about the Tekin 17.5 redlines, I currently have two of them and find that they will not run cool no matter what I gear at, they will come off at around 175 -180 degrees and they seem down on power out of the corners. We have several others running these motors at our club and they have lots of power, I have tried fixing it with hotwire and trying lots of different roll outs to no avail. any ideas.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
The timing bar on the Hotwire only affects the timing while in dual mode. In sensored only it's negated.
Some suggestions. In your next Hotwire upgrade, grey out the Timing bar if the "Sensored only" mode is checked. That would make immediate sense to everyone. The light would click on in everyone's mind. "Why is it greyed out? Oh yeah... it's using the mechanical motor timing.... I see."

I know you tried to make it look pretty while working properly with various monitor resolutions, but you did this at the expense of functionality. Motor Type: B-DL is not intuitive. I'd rather have the wording "Brushless Fwd/Rev with delay" instead of pretty graphics. You'll need to improve the owner's manual to describe all of your wonderful features. Or at least add a Help button to describe the items in detail.

Speaking of reverse delay. Currently, the delay only checks for neutral for 1 second. I'd love an option for the speedo to check to see if the car is actually stopped (or very slow). If so, then allow reverse. As it is right now, you could be coasting down the straightaway for a second, apply the brake, and reverse inadvertently kicks in instead!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by James35
Some suggestions. In your next Hotwire upgrade, grey out the Timing bar if the "Sensored only" mode is checked. That would make immediate sense to everyone. The light would click on in everyone's mind. "Why is it greyed out? Oh yeah... it's using the mechanical motor timing.... I see."

I know you tried to make it look pretty while working properly with various monitor resolutions, but you did this at the expense of functionality. Motor Type: B-DL is not intuitive. I'd rather have the wording "Brushless Fwd/Rev with delay" instead of pretty graphics. You'll need to improve the owner's manual to describe all of your wonderful features. Or at least add a Help button to describe the items in detail.

Speaking of reverse delay. Currently, the delay only checks for neutral for 1 second. I'd love an option for the speedo to check to see if the car is actually stopped (or very slow). If so, then allow reverse. As it is right now, you could be coasting down the straightaway for a second, apply the brake, and reverse inadvertently kicks in instead!
I agree with everything you said except the part about greying out the timing bar in "sensored only" mode. The value in still being able to set this parameter comes into play if the sensor cable gets damaged or disconnected during use. Instead of stopping you like other ESCs, the RS just kicks over to sensorless mode so you can continue. You want to be ready for this by having an appropriate timing value set.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
I agree with everything you said except the part about greying out the timing bar in "sensored only" mode. The value in still being able to set this parameter comes into play if the sensor cable gets damaged or disconnected during use. Instead of stopping you like other ESCs, the RS just kicks over to sensorless mode so you can continue. You want to be ready for this by having an appropriate timing value set.
Agree completely here.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:08 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chad M
I have a question about the Tekin 17.5 redlines, I currently have two of them and find that they will not run cool no matter what I gear at, they will come off at around 175 -180 degrees and they seem down on power out of the corners. We have several others running these motors at our club and they have lots of power, I have tried fixing it with hotwire and trying lots of different roll outs to no avail. any ideas.
Are you running 1/12, TC? With 1/12 with the Tekin 17.5 on a medium sized track I'll be geared almost 6 or 7 teeth lower then someone using a Duo motor. The power range and torque is at different "sweet spots". I finally got my CE dyno set-up to check brushless and I use the same parameters as what I used to check my brushed motors. The numbers are crazy looking at a brushless and brushed motor!! I can tell you the Tekin 17.5 when geared lower, for example, 3.55" roll out for others, 3.22" for Tekin, will give ALOT of grunt and come off at 140ish after an 8 minute run with minumum fade during the race. On a tight track (75 x 40) I was down to a 2.99" roll out. Hope this helps!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by WailinOnYa
Figured I'd chime in here for some info for some of you who may be having problems with setup using Futaba radios! I don't own a 3PK, I own an older 3PJ radio and when I first got the speedo I simply couldn't get the speedo through the setup process, it just would never complete it. The led indicator lights would show the radio to be out of adjustment, so I fidgetted with it forever changing adjustments on the radio to different percentages and in the end having no luck! Come to find out the servo reversing switch for throttle needed to be in reverse and not normal for this speedo, I found this out by using a different model memory for setup on this speedo, one that had a setup for an old Tekin G10 speedo which had the setting in reverse. and it worked the first time. Once I changed the servo reverse to reverse, it setup on the model I wanted on the first try! I can't say that this is the same issue that some or all of you are having but it is something worth trying if you can't seem to get it to setup. I literally spent hours trying to get this thing to work thinking there was something wrong with it only to find out it was one simple change that made all the difference! Hope this helps some of you out!
Had you asked on this forum or on tekin's forum we would have told you about the reverse thing.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just got it last week and didn't start getting it prepped till saturday night! I have read some of the posts in this thread but not all, so I just didn't see the mentioning of the reversing for the throttle. I did check on the Tekin site but only skimmed a few posts, looked to see if there was a troubleshooting section, but no go. So even if I posted for it I would have had it figured out before I got a reply, so all worked out well. Just took me the time to figure out what was throwing it off. You get pretty good at solving problems when you troubleshoot them for yourself. I love the size of this thing, looking forward to trying it out.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default RS on www.rctvlive.com

Very impressed with the Tekin RS on www.rctvlive.com

Nice job Tekin!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Team Tekin

Hey I'm on TV! LOL

Pretty cool when Bobby Unser came by, showed him how we get it done on the carpet track!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

My RS Pro is on the way from Nexus Racing with the Hot Wire. I sent my LRP down the road and kept the Speed Passion for a back-up.

My first outing with it will be the US Open Wheel Dirt Oval Championships with a spec 13.5 Losi (Hacker based?) motor.

Any recommendations for max power and speed? I estimate that blipping the throtte in the middle of the turns will be all that is needed. Mostly to the wood...full speed ahead.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Team Tekin

The version of Hotwire that the team is testing right now adds a different function to the timing bar all together. It's not going to be greyed out but will change when either sensored only or dual mode is checked off.

There are right click options that "open up" to a more descriptive window when making adjustments.

180 degrees is very warm for a 17.5 I'd try one of the posted setups on this thread to try. I wouldn't expect to get good performance out of a motor that warm towards the end of a run.

Can you post some more info? What car, track size, straight length, current gearing/roll out info.

I'm sure we'll get you sorted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.