R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #14341
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

To those of you running a low end RPM (less than 10,000):

Give it a shot running a higher end RPM. For a long time I refused to believe that a wider RPM window could be faster (I used to run 2,500 start, 7,000 end). I always thought that the faster the boost came in, the more rip and mid range the car would have.

I am now running 5,000 start and 16,000 end with my 17.5 and not only does the car run cooler, but the power is more linear, and it actually helped the rip and mid range power.

I have some more fine tuning to do with the gearing and motor timing as I am still seeking some more rip, but it is still faster than it was with my previous setup. I just got spoiled running 13.5 as it has a lot more pull out of the corners. I just have not found the right formula to match the rip my friend's X12/Tekin combo has out of the corners.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #14342
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

maybe that is true in 2s, but in 1s with a duo1/2 the rip is mad with a tight rpm range. I run 4000-6500 and there is no one faster on the track and just .2 slower then dumas with a 13.5

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #14343
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
maybe that is true in 2s, but in 1s with a duo1/2 the rip is mad with a tight rpm range. I run 4000-6500 and there is no one faster on the track and just .2 slower then dumas with a 13.5
Even on a med speed outdoor track this was true at the ROAR regionals at Camarillo a few weeks back.

Copp and Cossico were within a few tenths of TQ Open Mod TC
And that is with 17.5 1S 12th scale !

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #14344
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Even on a med speed outdoor track this was true at the ROAR regionals at Camarillo a few weeks back.

Copp and Cossico were within a few tenths of TQ Open Mod TC
And that is with 17.5 1S 12th scale !
Copp's an old man. not sure how he even sees the corners. lol

i am pretty sure I know tim's setup in his speedo.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE

Last edited by theisgroup; 05-03-2010 at 02:03 PM.
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #14345
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Technic View Post

Give it a shot running a higher end RPM. For a long time I refused to believe that a wider RPM window could be faster (I used to run 2,500 start, 7,000 end). I always thought that the faster the boost came in, the more rip and mid range the car would have.

I am now running 5,000 start and 16,000 end with my 17.5 and not only does the car run cooler, but the power is more linear, and it actually helped the rip and mid range power.

I have some more fine tuning to do with the gearing and motor timing as I am still seeking some more rip, but it is still faster than it was with my previous setup. I just got spoiled running 13.5 as it has a lot more pull out of the corners. I just have not found the right formula to match the rip my friend's X12/Tekin combo has out of the corners.
good to see you see the other side,see ya in a few weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
1s rip is insane you can really see the what the esc does with its rpm range
Old 05-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #14346
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to twk-b

Quote:

+1 upping the start RPM will drop the temp dramatically, and give you more torque of the corners...

ive found that the range needs to be atleast 100x boost setting... so 50 boost = 5000 range. smaller range and the head jumps up a bunch.

seems to be fastest if you can see the turbo pick up just off the slowest corner on the course...

-b
twk-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #14347
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
good to see you see the other side,see ya in a few weeks
I might need your help getting every last drop out of my Tekin at K-Raceway. I need a solid finish both days to finish in the top 3 for the FSEARA points.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #14348
Tech Lord

Quote:
I might need your help getting every last drop out of my Tekin at K-Raceway. I need a solid finish both days to finish in the top 3 for the FSEARA points.
I think allot of people are going to be scratching there head there cause no one has run it yet,are you going to the region race
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #14349
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
I think allot of people are going to be scratching there head there cause no one has run it yet,are you going to the region race
Probably not, that is a really far drive from me. If you are looking for more racing this summer our annual Invitational is on July 10th in Palm Beach, http://www.rctech.net/forum/florida-...ml#post7353808
Old 05-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #14350
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
There is nothing wrong with the spektru/RS combo. Something MAY be off with the receiver though. I agree that you need to add the spektrum cap and test it.

The "other" motor in question works fine with the RS. It does however requires a different esc setup to make work properly.
Double check the Tekin cap. We had one guy chasing all sorts of radio problems for weeks until he changed the cap, which cured it all. I haven't found the Spektrum cap any use - all my radio problems have stemmed from bad boosters and bad caps - or at least caps I seem to be good at breaking!! HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #14351
Tech Lord

Quote:
Probably not, that is a really far drive from me. If you are looking for more racing this summer our annual Invitational is on July 10th in Palm Beach, http://www.rctech.net/forum/florida-...ml#post7353808
your about 5-6 hours for me,i would but not enough money to travel.seeya at kraceway
Old 05-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #14352
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnos View Post
I have been having allot of different problems with the Tekin RS and Spektrum 3500 combination in my car.. it seems they don't work too well together. Its very intermitted.. one day it will work fine then three heats later I will run into problems.

1stly the signal randomly will unbind.. threw I think no power going to the receiver.. on two other occasions the car has mid race hit full throttle with no steering. (big impact). There are also times with the car will go from having no throttle then all of a sudden getting the throttle control back and then loosing it again. Also yesterday the car would work for one bleep of the throttle then lose all power to the receiver and ESC.. after taking the battery off the ESC for a few minutes..and putting it back on this fixed that problem..

I have tried a 2nd 3500 receiver and its the same sort of problems.. I have also put another speed controller in (another brand) and all the issues seem to go away.. I have also tested the power coming from the ESC and its 6 Volt. I have tried many different settings on the ESC with hotwire and the problem is not there.. I am running the spektrum module in a Sanwa M11..

So my question is has anyone else with the micro spektrum 3500 and a tekinRS had any similar issues. Its doesn't seem to be a problem with the Tekin RS its just the combination.. I think anyway.

Cheers
I have had exactly the same issues, which reoccurred today.

Had few times when the throttle just stopped and a few runaways, the next round it was fine.

Fine for a few runs, then one horrific round then fine again.

Have tried a Spektrum cap but it made no difference, also tried resetting the ESC. Only thing I haven't tried is going back to earlier firmware the updating again.

Could a loose signal wire cause something like the above?

Its the SR3500 receiver with a Spektrum module in a Futaba 3VC with KO PDS-2413 servo.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #14353
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to lupin_au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I have had exactly the same issues, which reoccurred today.

Had few times when the throttle just stopped and a few runaways, the next round it was fine.

Fine for a few runs, then one horrific round then fine again.

Have tried a Spektrum cap but it made no difference, also tried resetting the ESC. Only thing I haven't tried is going back to earlier firmware the updating again.

Could a loose signal wire cause something like the above?

Its the SR3500 receiver with a Spektrum module in a Futaba 3VC with KO PDS-2413 servo.

Skiddins
I also had it happen last week for the 1st time. What I ended up doing was moving the antenna tube from its holder to straight on top of the receiver, and it all went away.

I normally run a 3000 but I wanted to check the temps as I was going so made the change.

http://www.westcoastrccarracing.asn.au/
http://www.lupinzblog.com/
lupin_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #14354
Tech Initiate

Guys i really need help with Tekin RS Pro for running a 5.5t motor. I see conflicting stories on these forums regarding the speedo and its use for mod. Can someone tell me if it's ok to run a mod with the Pro without damaging it?. What do you do different in setting the speedo up, do you just turn everything off, e.g. timing boost and turbo and so on? I'm running on a large track for the Much More GP in the uk and don't want to wreck my speedo. I ran 10.5 on it and the speedo was flawless but as i'm waiting on del of 5.5t motor i thought i'd ask for your help.
Many many thanks
Scotty.....
Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #14355
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Here's my current setup.

Full turbo
Full Boost
0 delay
Ramp 3
1000 start
18000 end
6.7 FDR
17.5 Ballistic Motor timing set to second lowest mark

I got plenty of mid and top end power, but not enough on the low side. I'd like to get a lot more rip out of the corners. I messed with my settings a lot, and always end up very close to this depending on the track I am at. I'm starting to believe my motor just doesn't have the low end grunt I am looking for. My temps very from 120-160 depending on the day and track lay out. It varies so much because we race at night here.

Any suggestions?