R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #14326
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Tekin rs and Spektrum 3500

I have been having allot of different problems with the Tekin RS and Spektrum 3500 combination in my car.. it seems they don't work too well together. Its very intermitted.. one day it will work fine then three heats later I will run into problems.

1stly the signal randomly will unbind.. threw I think no power going to the receiver.. on two other occasions the car has mid race hit full throttle with no steering. (big impact). There are also times with the car will go from having no throttle then all of a sudden getting the throttle control back and then loosing it again. Also yesterday the car would work for one bleep of the throttle then lose all power to the receiver and ESC.. after taking the battery off the ESC for a few minutes..and putting it back on this fixed that problem..

I have tried a 2nd 3500 receiver and its the same sort of problems.. I have also put another speed controller in (another brand) and all the issues seem to go away.. I have also tested the power coming from the ESC and its 6 Volt. I have tried many different settings on the ESC with hotwire and the problem is not there.. I am running the spektrum module in a Sanwa M11..

So my question is has anyone else with the micro spektrum 3500 and a tekinRS had any similar issues. Its doesn't seem to be a problem with the Tekin RS its just the combination.. I think anyway.

Cheers
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #14327
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnos View Post
I have been having allot of different problems with the Tekin RS and Spektrum 3500 combination in my car.. it seems they don't work too well together. Its very intermitted.. one day it will work fine then three heats later I will run into problems.

1stly the signal randomly will unbind.. threw I think no power going to the receiver.. on two other occasions the car has mid race hit full throttle with no steering. (big impact). There are also times with the car will go from having no throttle then all of a sudden getting the throttle control back and then loosing it again. Also yesterday the car would work for one bleep of the throttle then lose all power to the receiver and ESC.. after taking the battery off the ESC for a few minutes..and putting it back on this fixed that problem..

I have tried a 2nd 3500 receiver and its the same sort of problems.. I have also put another speed controller in (another brand) and all the issues seem to go away.. I have also tested the power coming from the ESC and its 6 Volt. I have tried many different settings on the ESC with hotwire and the problem is not there.. I am running the spektrum module in a Sanwa M11..

So my question is has anyone else with the micro spektrum 3500 and a tekinRS had any similar issues. Its doesn't seem to be a problem with the Tekin RS its just the combination.. I think anyway.

Cheers
Have you tried adding a Cap onto the RX? the other might be the plug faulty. encounter it once. everything solve after changing the black, red white plug
e-mail: [email protected]
Official is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #14328
Tech Rookie

Im about to pull the trigger on a Tekin RS pro but ive read about it having issues with the Novak Ballistic motors...is this true? I have a 17.5 and 13.5 if it matters. Thanks....
2themx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #14329
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2themx View Post
Im about to pull the trigger on a Tekin RS pro but ive read about it having issues with the Novak Ballistic motors...is this true? I have a 17.5 and 13.5 if it matters. Thanks....

One of the fastest cars on our track in 17.5 is running a ballistic motor. his setup differs from most so im sure it all depends on settings being used.
Durango Dex210--Futaba--Trakpower--Tacon 8.5
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #14330
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

There is nothing wrong with the spektru/RS combo. Something MAY be off with the receiver though. I agree that you need to add the spektrum cap and test it.

The "other" motor in question works fine with the RS. It does however requires a different esc setup to make work properly.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #14331
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
There is nothing wrong with the spektru/RS combo. Something MAY be off with the receiver though. I agree that you need to add the spektrum cap and test it.

The "other" motor in question works fine with the RS. It does however requires a different esc setup to make work properly.
Hi , could you elaborate on the cap for the Spektrum Rx

Thanks
gimpex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #14332
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks I will give that a go... have not got one installed..

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaDC View Post
One of the fastest cars on our track in 17.5 is running a ballistic motor. his setup differs from most so im sure it all depends on settings being used.
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #14333
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

I've had identical symptoms to warnos with my RS and SR3100 Spektrum receiver on my 2s 10.5 TC.

Last race, I added a cap to the receiver, Spektrum# SPM1600, and it helped some, but didn't cure the problem.

It'll be a couple more weeks before I get back home to continue troubleshooting, but first thing I'm going to try is replacing the wht/red/black plug on the RS. It's the oldest RS I have, and even though the plug looks good, it's seen it's share of abuse anyway. If there's still issues, I'm going to try a different steering servo. After that, I don't know. What's the symptoms of a blown or weak cap on the RS with higher winds? I still get the tell-tale "spark" when connecting batteries.

To further complicate matters, I ran the same setup indoors all winter without issue, with a 17.5. I also practiced outdoors before the first race with a 17.5 without issue, but last year had these symptoms with 17.5 outdoors and thought I cured it with a replacement DSM2 antenna on my Rx. But now, with a 10.5, it's reared it's ugly head again. Motor comes off after 6 min. at 145-160* F, if I get a clean run, with the RS still at 1 LED, battery is 45c 5000mAh.

I can't remember all of my RS settings but should be pretty close to this:
Boost 37
Turbo 10
delay .4
ramp 1
start 4xxx
end 16xxx

Any other theories would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #14334
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
I've had identical symptoms to warnos with my RS and SR3100 Spektrum receiver on my 2s 10.5 TC.

Last race, I added a cap to the receiver, Spektrum# SPM1600, and it helped some, but didn't cure the problem.

It'll be a couple more weeks before I get back home to continue troubleshooting, but first thing I'm going to try is replacing the wht/red/black plug on the RS. It's the oldest RS I have, and even though the plug looks good, it's seen it's share of abuse anyway. If there's still issues, I'm going to try a different steering servo. After that, I don't know. What's the symptoms of a blown or weak cap on the RS with higher winds? I still get the tell-tale "spark" when connecting batteries.

To further complicate matters, I ran the same setup indoors all winter without issue, with a 17.5. I also practiced outdoors before the first race with a 17.5 without issue, but last year had these symptoms with 17.5 outdoors and thought I cured it with a replacement DSM2 antenna on my Rx. But now, with a 10.5, it's reared it's ugly head again. Motor comes off after 6 min. at 145-160* F, if I get a clean run, with the RS still at 1 LED, battery is 45c 5000mAh.

I can't remember all of my RS settings but should be pretty close to this:
Boost 37
Turbo 10
delay .4
ramp 1
start 4xxx
end 16xxx

Any other theories would be appreciated.
My guess would be that since your running a lower turn motor that is requiring a heavier amp draw, that the esc or RX is experiencing a 'Brown out'. Adding the capacitor is suppose to bandaid the problem.

This is also a common problem with the RX8 and the Spektrum RX also. Good luck getting a long term solution as no-one will admit to problems with their equipement.
In one such situation with an RX8 and a 3500RX, the problem went away when we switched to an older grey case Spektrum RX.
Also the amp load is very low on the RS ESC. If you are running a high dollar servo, such as the JR 9100S, it is also possible that the ESC is not keeping up with the Amp load for it. Once again a bandaid is a larger cap.

Specs for the AMP draw should be available on the Servo manufactures website.
Tekins ESC AMP draw is also on their web site. I think its 3amp. (Maybe slightly under rated or other board manufacturing issues?)

Side note:
LRP SPX is also 6v/3amp
Novak 6 Volts/3 Amps
Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #14335
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Yeah, I know the cap is a bandaid, but on raceday, I needed something to get a clean run in before the main.

I'm leaning toward the servo actually. It's an older KO coreless digital, and it's possible that it's drawing down the Tekin BEC too much causing the SR3100 to brown out. Most of the interference has been popping up in situations like turning while coming through a sweeper, or accelerating hard coming out of a corner, both of which would increase load on the servo.

A 3amp BEC should be more than plenty to run a single servo, PT, and Rx, so something's gotta be drawing too much.

If that doesn't work, I have plenty of older Rx's to try as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #14336
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run the Tekin RS and the Spektrum 3500 mini reciever with no problems at all

the only problem i had was one evening i turned the car on and nothing worked but i had lights on inside the RS , i wiggled all the wires and the small white wire to the reciever had broken inside the plug for the reciever , renewed it and it has been as good as new since

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiempje View Post
this is what i run in eindhoven;

Start revs 800
End revs 25k
turbo delay 0.2
timing boost 45
Turbo max
gearing of 6.3
Throttle profile 3
end bell timing 20 degrees, depending on weather, HOT days are 15 degree, cold days 25 degree.

widening the boost gives a lot more lineair feel on the acceleration. i started from about the same setup as you did. i quickly noticed i bogged a little round about 1/3th of the speed of the car. when i raised the end RPM the bog went away and motor got cooler. this was with max boost and max turbo! so then i was temping about 90 degree on a normal 20degree day. started to gear up 3 to 4 tooth and use little less timing, from max boost to 45. saved about 20 degrees of heat and gave a little more infield punch, but a little less back straight acceleration... then i started playing around with the motor timing. WOW and that was the big point! i started from about 12, and went up to 20, man it was like a modified motor! sooo much power. tried 25 degrees, was more power but got hotter aswell...
next thing im going to try is some cooling. i made a lexan part that directs air from a fan directly into the motor, trough the open slots of my motor. hope this helps!

good luck in Haren!

Mark
Thank mark ,

I think i will be at Eindhoven over the summer for some training , me and the Mrs will be travelling oer the summer and the RC stuff will be in the boot of the car
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #14337
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Out of interest what radio were you using?
spektrum dx3s
jay m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:17 AM   #14338
Tech Regular

anyone had brake issue with rs and fixed it?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #14339
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yes have a read, back a few pages
Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 AM   #14340
Tech Regular

thanks but like i said in my post back a page tried all those things cheers