Efficiency 92%
Specific rpm/volt, kv 3.800
Mr. MR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #14192
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Exactly!!

It's getting tiresome that people tell me things can't be done when what that means is either they can't do it, or they are too afraid to try. It gets doubly tiresome when people tell me what the World is doing without any data to back that up.

It gets treble-y (is that a word?!! ) tiresome when someone bangs on trying to save me from myself on the assumption I am a complete numpty who can't be trusted to put a T-shirt on the right way round, let alone experiment with a model car. Hurrumph...

Rant over, off to put turbo on my Mod because Randy says I could get an advantage over the rest of them - now that's what I call good information!
I aggree with Randy.
My reaction on somebody's question "wath is a good set-up for 4.5 turnd mod motor" was to help somebody out with the settings I found.
I did this cause everybody have a setup for 10.5 to 17.5 and lack of good settings for lower turns motors.
Now we have Mr. SlowerOne who knows everything about mod settings, the only thing I wish that you publish you big know how a few pages earlyer.
Thanks.

Ed
eded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #14193
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. MR4 View Post
Im not 100% sure but I think 10:

These are the specs at 7.4V:
RPM 27.360
Power 255W
Type 10.5 TURNS
Efficiency 92%
Specific rpm/volt, kv 3.800
try 8-10 start 25k end
45 timing boost
(start with)6 turbo
delay .3
ramp 3
8-8.5 fdr
check the temps often untill it feels right
Old 04-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #14194
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Can someone tell me what the recommended setting/FDR would be for the RS using a HV4.5 550 motor on the Jammin 4X4SC? Gonna be using the latest software.

Sorry about it being off road, but I thought more people might be looking at this thread for the RS.

Thanks
inpuressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #14195
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

You should not use the RS with the HV motor. The RS Pro has been used with them but again we don't condone the RS Pro's use with even a smallish 1/8 motor. I know it "works" though.

If you're to go out and do such a thing make sure to run a 2nd power cap(TT3520).

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #14196
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
try 8-10 start 25k end
45 timing boost
(start with)6 turbo
delay .3
ramp 3
8-8.5 fdr
check the temps often untill it feels right

Thanks
Mr. MR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #14197
Tech Regular

randy the novak 550's arent 1/8 scale motors anymore. there "short course truck motors". they arent powerful enough for 1/8. even the 4.5 in the ballistic 550 is only rated at 890 watts and they dont say what voltage.
benben10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #14198
Tech Regular

Any more info on new software for the brakes ............ any one ????
Old 04-25-2010, 02:55 AM   #14199
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT OUT View Post
Any more info on new software for the brakes ............ any one ????
I have been speaking with a few people about this and we think it is something to do with the timing on the motor , if you run less timing/turbo then the brakes are better

Mine are excellant , i have 100% on the RS and 60% on my transmitter , my mate had exactly the same brakes as me till he toasted a motor now they are mediokre to be honest .

Every one i spoke to with bad brakes have cooked a motor on the speedo , i am thinking this must spike back into one of the brake FETs , the way he describes it as is "like running EXPO on the transmitter" !!!

Everything was great till the motor went , the new motor is good and we have tried EVERYTHING but still not great any more , he now has to run drag brake and not release the throttle in most corners , this is not ideal but it is the only thing that works !!

Any onewith bad brakes BUT have not destroyed a motor ??
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #14200
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
I have been speaking with a few people about this and we think it is something to do with the timing on the motor , if you run less timing/turbo then the brakes are better

Mine are excellant , i have 100% on the RS and 60% on my transmitter , my mate had exactly the same brakes as me till he toasted a motor now they are mediokre to be honest .

Every one i spoke to with bad brakes have cooked a motor on the speedo , i am thinking this must spike back into one of the brake FETs , the way he describes it as is "like running EXPO on the transmitter" !!!

Everything was great till the motor went , the new motor is good and we have tried EVERYTHING but still not great any more , he now has to run drag brake and not release the throttle in most corners , this is not ideal but it is the only thing that works !!

Any onewith bad brakes BUT have not destroyed a motor ??
Im running 10.5 and I have never cooked a motor with my RS or any other esc, Im running it with a Novak Ballistic 10.5 motor with the motor timing at zero. My setting are
timing max
brake 100
drag brake 30
throttle profile 4
turbo 10
delay 0.3
ramp 2
Car is very quick but the brakes are a problem at high speeds, I find if I dab the brakes quickly almost like an ABS system then the car brakes better but if I hold full brake in one movement then the brakes are crap.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:16 AM   #14201
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Exactly!!

It's getting tiresome that people tell me things can't be done when what that means is either they can't do it, or they are too afraid to try. It gets doubly tiresome when people tell me what the World is doing without any data to back that up.

It gets treble-y (is that a word?!! ) tiresome when someone bangs on trying to save me from myself on the assumption I am a complete numpty who can't be trusted to put a T-shirt on the right way round, let alone experiment with a model car. Hurrumph...

Rant over, off to put turbo on my Mod because Randy says I could get an advantage over the rest of them - now that's what I call good information!
The problem here isn't that people should or shouldn't experiment with speedo settings for whatever wind of motor they have, it's the number of people who don't do it carefully, try something extreme out straight away and then go and blow up their motor/speedo or break their car in half!

Some people know to start carefully and build up, then back off if things are starting to get too extreme. Being on this forum a while shows there are a fair few people who don't though. Sometimes it's better to say don't try it because those people will get it wrong and cost them big time!

I know you're the first kind Pete, and that you'll go ahead and experiment whatever anyone says on here. I'd love to see you with a 5.5 and turbo though. First CARS/AMC Summer Shoot Out then?

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:24 AM   #14202
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to lupin_au

Well had my first run with the Tekin today.

Started with 20deg timing and 10 boost.
Checked temps and was happy so went to 15 boost and 20deg timing.

Was quick enough to take the win for the day so I'm happy with that for its first run.

http://www.westcoastrccarracing.asn.au/
http://www.lupinzblog.com/
lupin_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #14203
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT OUT View Post
Car is very quick but the brakes are a problem at high speeds, I find if I dab the brakes quickly almost like an ABS system then the car brakes better but if I hold full brake in one movement then the brakes are crap.
I find something similar with my car. Flat out down the straight, If i pull up full brakes from full throttle the car can barely stop for the hairpin. But if im going flat out and then drop the throttle to neutral and then dab the brakes it stops up that hard i have to turn my brakes down on the transmitter. I do run push control between 5 and 8 and i don't know how this affects this braking feel.

I was playing around today a bit more with motor timing set to zero and adding max turbo with zero delay and less than 50 boost. Ended up with 45 boost and geared at 8.7 with a 17.5 for a very large track, My car was a rocket ship. Zero delay Im going to try dropping even more boost and adding some motor timing back on to see how that affect's the power band and how much heat it generates.

Walter Rc Hobby - Serpent 4X

Nosram - R1wurks - Sanwa - Hudy - Muchmore
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #14204
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm running a 1/12 scale with an LRP X11 17.5t motor. Boost is not allowed for club racing, so I was wondering if someone could help me out a bit with a baseline setup that does NOT use boost.

Also, I know I found a basic setup guide for the RS somewhere, but cant find it now. In it, it said something about the timing number being a percentage of maximum timing (which was around 23 degrees or something). Anyone know what I am talking about? I'd really like to re-read that about now..
ZiG-87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:07 PM   #14205
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

if the wont alow timing boost and turbo run dual mode it is 30* of timing that is only applied with the esc the motor timing is not used