R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #14176
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
I'm not trying to argue the whole point of the Tekin vs. everthing else. Really the point is that there is no such thing as "STOCK" anymore.
Stock was never "STOCK" You're fooling yourself if you truly believe it was.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #14177
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
so if pro's dont use turbo in mod, which they dont, and have great throttle control, hand eye co-ordination.........

THEN WHY THE HELL DO YOU NEED TURBO......IN MOD?

you have fantastic logic mate!
How do you KNOW the pros don't use turbo in Mod...?

As for Stock not being Stock any more - can someone tell me when it was Stock? I seem to remember being blown away by the 'motor-of-the-week' tuned by someone with way more talent and time than me, and being short of ponies most of the time.

Since these speedos came out, I can match anyone mph for mph, and 0-60 for 0-60. The only talent I require is to be able to move a pointer on a screen, twist an endbell to match a number on a sticker, and read the spur/pinion numbers off the GearIt app on my iPhone. Add the that LiPo cells that consistently deliver the same voltage and duration race after race (no special hi-volt cells, or cell-of-the-month) and we all start with the same - 4.2/8.4V and something over 5000mAh. Seems to me this has done more to level that playing field than anything BR/NiMh ever gave me, or any of the people I race with!

If the speed of the cars is what you mean, then go down on motors! But for me and vast numbers of the people I race with, this new technology has been the greatest leveler of horsepower we've ever seen. Not got enough speed? We just share the settings around then everyone has it - QED!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #14178
Tech Master

I totally agree with you. And to top that off, I can pack up after a race and not touch anything till the next race and still be as fast as anyone. Its so low maintenance with all these new tech...

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #14179
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Accepting what Randy says above, why wouldn't I want Turbo with Mod?

If a Mod can rev out on the ratio you have, why wouldn't I add 5 deg turbo on a medium delay to get even more speed on the straight? That would give me options on ratio for tight sections of infield, yet still give me plenty of beans on the straight.

Tekin's piece of wonder-kit gives us all options. I could understand that it gets abused by some, but I don't understand why some options are dismissed because someone says they're not needed. Have those people tried it? We are racers, so we can never have too much power!

Put it this way, until someone did it and proved how good it was, what would you have said if I asked whether I should use turbo with 0.0 delay and then put the rev range up to bring in the timing? "No," I'm guessing! I've tried it, and it works in the right hands on the right track. Why wouldn't a little turbo help make your Mod killer-fast in the right circumstances?

We don't NEED it, but it would work. Just a thought...
The setting I discribe is a good one, because this on our large track the best of two worlds, the car had a big punch and a inredible topspeed and this all within the temp. limits without overheating the engine and without overheating the ESC using no extra cooler.
When you use on this track also the turbo you easely overheat the ESC.
But you could have a point for the use the turbo/mod on a other lay-out.
As you say the use of the tekin ESC has more possibility's then you have time to tray-out.
The forum can save you time if you know the ESC well you can filter the given setup's out to find the right one for your track.
So tray your setting you think they are the best for your track and show them in this great forum.
And to be honest the car wo travelled with the highest speed will not always the winner, the best way to compete in top of the field is the car with the smoothes motor and the highest corner speed, a old story say's you do not need to accelerate if you can go on full throttle throug the corners.
Thanks.
Ed

Last edited by eded1; 04-23-2010 at 05:50 PM.
eded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #14180
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Like I had said before. It CAN be used as long as you now what you're doing. Some of the euro tracks that have tight infields and super long straights would be perfect for a setup such as this.

The issue would be that it would take experience to find the RIGHT turbo delay and the RIGHT amount of turbo and ramp rate.

If however one took the time to get this correct you would be rewarded with the best of both worlds, super rip in the infield AND the top speed on the straights...

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #14181
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Had an interesting day of reading the infield high/low RPM data from my Novak Sentry and applying 4-5 new combinations of start/end RPM rates on my 17.5 TC at NorCal Hobbies. Ended up gaining 1,000 RPM as my new high on the back straight and now have a more driveable car in the infield. Nothing but praise to Yang in Texas for his help with figuring out the Novak. Good stuff!

Off to Hawaii for some R&R so I will have to catch up with this thread in a week or so.

Aloha Tekin techies.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #14182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Had an interesting day of reading the infield high/low RPM data from my Novak Sentry and applying 4-5 new combinations of start/end RPM rates on my 17.5 TC at NorCal Hobbies. Ended up gaining 1,000 RPM as my new high on the back straight and now have a more driveable car in the infield. Nothing but praise to Yang in Texas for his help with figuring out the Novak. Good stuff!

Off to Hawaii for some R&R so I will have to catch up with this thread in a week or so.

Aloha Tekin techies.

Bill
doing any racing in the island state? p2 is now in the aloha state. funny a buddy of mine just left for hawaii this afternoon. have a great time.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 PM   #14183
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
doing any racing in the island state? p2 is now in the aloha state. funny a buddy of mine just left for hawaii this afternoon. have a great time.
Was supposed to be in Belgium by today; except for a stupid volcano.

Wife would kill me...But, United does allow a second bag to the islands for free...hmmmm?

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #14184
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Like I had said before. It CAN be used as long as you now what you're doing. Some of the euro tracks that have tight infields and super long straights would be perfect for a setup such as this.

The issue would be that it would take experience to find the RIGHT turbo delay and the RIGHT amount of turbo and ramp rate.

If however one took the time to get this correct you would be rewarded with the best of both worlds, super rip in the infield AND the top speed on the straights...
Exactly!!

It's getting tiresome that people tell me things can't be done when what that means is either they can't do it, or they are too afraid to try. It gets doubly tiresome when people tell me what the World is doing without any data to back that up.

It gets treble-y (is that a word?!! ) tiresome when someone bangs on trying to save me from myself on the assumption I am a complete numpty who can't be trusted to put a T-shirt on the right way round, let alone experiment with a model car. Hurrumph...

Rant over, off to put turbo on my Mod because Randy says I could get an advantage over the rest of them - now that's what I call good information!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #14185
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 10.5 Setup

I am looking for 1/10 Touring 2s Lipo set ups for Rs Pro with LRP 10.5 X11 Fixed timing motor.

Track has a 120 foot straight with technical infield.

What software / setups are recommended?
Mr. MR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #14186
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Exactly!!

It's getting tiresome that people tell me things can't be done when what that means is either they can't do it, or they are too afraid to try. It gets doubly tiresome when people tell me what the World is doing without any data to back that up.

It gets treble-y (is that a word?!! ) tiresome when someone bangs on trying to save me from myself on the assumption I am a complete numpty who can't be trusted to put a T-shirt on the right way round, let alone experiment with a model car. Hurrumph...

Rant over, off to put turbo on my Mod because Randy says I could get an advantage over the rest of them - now that's what I call good information!
ok go ahead

I'd like to know your findings after the test.
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #14187
Tech Regular

my support to you Slowerone. some numbers from a data logger would be cool to see, if you have one. if not just tell us what happens. i dont think i will be able to try it for myself. i think the 2.5 turn i have should just be encased in resin and put on a shelf somewhere as a collectible (what the heck was i thinking buying a 2.5 turn motor? why does tekin even make such an abomination )
benben10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #14188
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill View Post
Was supposed to be in Belgium by today; except for a stupid volcano.

Wife would kill me...But, United does allow a second bag to the islands for free...hmmmm?
Welcome to Belgium, probably the most taxed country around the world

Tekin RS PRO speedo work fantastic here too
Stephtruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #14189
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephtruc View Post
Welcome to Belgium, probably the most taxed country around the world

Tekin RS PRO speedo work fantastic here too
Nah Netherlands must be more taxed then Belgium

BUT the tekin works well her also
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #14190
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. MR4 View Post
I am looking for 1/10 Touring 2s Lipo set ups for Rs Pro with LRP 10.5 X11 Fixed timing motor.

Track has a 120 foot straight with technical infield.

What software / setups are recommended?
How much timing does the x11 come with