R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #14101
Tech Master

My first attempts with the new software with 10.5t 2s in my pro10 on our 1/8 track was impressive.

I still had to solder the esc in for this summer season so could only drive 3 times and only a few rounds per time. On the straight it went so fast that my newly made chassis got unvirginised and got pushed against the asphalt with sparks flying behind the car cause of the downforce it had at that speed .

I could not drive for 5 minutes on end as the setup of the car was not good but the speed was over 93km/h measured with a speed trap. Mind you i already left the throttle before or inside the speed trap cause of the sparks that came underneath my chassis so the speed was in fact higher on the straight .

I don't know what the motor will do in a race of 7 minutes, more testing and tempting of the motor will be needed but holy smokes batman what a rush.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #14102
Tech Apprentice

Default First Run

Took the new Tekin out for a spin yesterday. Had a glitch with it though Saturday when setting it up. Updated the FW to 2.03 and it wouldnt detect a radio signal. Got advise (thanks Malc) and downgraded it then re-applied the upgrade again. Worked fine after that.

Very very quick is all I can say and performed well not getting hot at all in 13.5. Good throttle reponse and control, though brakes faded after about 2-2.5 mins, not sure if that was motor heat build up or the Speedo.

Motor at the end was coing off at approx 70 degree's and was one of the fastest in a straight line.

Question though to Tekin/Tekin sponsored factory drivers. Do you have a manual that clearly covers what all the options actuall do ? The speedo is great, but its use is bluntly awful !

Can you help and describe what each option, inclusing the advanced ones actually do, and when you change a function what that will actually do with the speedo/car ?

Cheers
Jo90uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #14103
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

HotWire Vegas tips from team manager, Randy Pike

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/vegas/vegastips.html
http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESCsetups/index.html

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #14104
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

There has been no running changes to the RS since its conception. You may be hearing of more failures since the amount of RS users has grown exponentinally over the past year.

If you see led's 12 and 67 and you have the RS hooked up to a KNOWN good brushless motor than the speedo will need repair. The sensor cable has NOTHING to do with this led sequence, only the 3 motor wires.

In regards to Tekin speedos and drag racing, what's your question?

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #14105
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Mr Randy Pike

May i know the full details on http://www.teamtekin.com/2009TPWCNats.html Mackenzie Taylor car scale, motor, settings etc. Thanks in advance. I might get a 1/10 funny car and use the tekin on it
Akudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #14106
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEWITT View Post
Hi, who do I contact to send in my tekin esc ? It blew up yesterday

thanks
and that is why your new nick name is Sparky ...
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #14107
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quante View Post
When I had that, one of the phases was burned on the ESC.
The esc had run fine for 2 days, suddenly the car stopped on the straight, it showed max temp lights (was only 2-3 leds in noral operation).
I disconnected the pack, let it cool down, reconnected and leds 1-2 & 6-7 were lit up. Nothing I did could change anything.
Motor ran fine on another speedo.

Sent it to Tekin repair and it was returned within 3 weeks.
Many thanks for this, but RS wasnt hot at all, but its good to hear you and others ar having these issues.

I am going to send an email to the shop I bought it from, and to Tekin to see whet they are going to do about it, as I had no more than 3 mins of practice until it stopped working.

Cheers Malc
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #14108
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo90uk View Post
Took the new Tekin out for a spin yesterday. Had a glitch with it though Saturday when setting it up. Updated the FW to 2.03 and it wouldnt detect a radio signal. Got advise (thanks Malc) and downgraded it then re-applied the upgrade again. Worked fine after that.

Very very quick is all I can say and performed well not getting hot at all in 13.5. Good throttle reponse and control, though brakes faded after about 2-2.5 mins, not sure if that was motor heat build up or the Speedo.

Motor at the end was coing off at approx 70 degree's and was one of the fastest in a straight line.

Question though to Tekin/Tekin sponsored factory drivers. Do you have a manual that clearly covers what all the options actuall do ? The speedo is great, but its use is bluntly awful !

Can you help and describe what each option, inclusing the advanced ones actually do, and when you change a function what that will actually do with the speedo/car ?

Cheers
No probs John, glad you enjoyed the Tekin experience
All you need to do is learn to drive it with all that speed you have

Yea I could set the Tekin up for you, but couldnt answer the why's and whatfores eh

Malc
2nd in 2008/9/10 Win Ansman GP 2010 Schumacher GP. 17.5 blinky Winner of STCC 2009/10 13.5 WLRC 2010 Summer series. Winner of EWS Winter. 17.5 Blinky Winner of 2012/13/14 Rug Racers. 17.5 Blinky 2013 WLRC summer series. Newbury RCC GP 2014 17.5 Blinky 2015 3rd in 17.5 Rug Racers
TheCoolCanFanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #14109
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Diagnostic Help..

Question for the Tekin Gods...

I have an RS that has been running great for over a year - until 2 days ago. I have been on 203 for some time now, was running the car on track, and out of a slowspeed corner it just turned into a wall and stopped. It acted like it had no power at all - no steering, no motor. I diconnected the batt and walked back to the pit. Ran another car for :20min and came back to test the Tekin.

I plugged it back in, and things worked fine..huh? . Then within 20 seconds of testing on the bench, steering stopped moving and no motor. I did notice that the lights on the RS would advance and flash just like I was running it (all would flash at full throttle, right?) yet nothing to the wheels. My receiver (Futaba FASST 603) light was alternating between red and green. After 15 seconds of that behavior... all the sudden things would return to normal - had streeing and motor control, green light solid on receiver. I kept testing and the symptoms would go away, then come back at random intervals; the cycle can always be repeated within 30sec to a min. I did notice that when the car stopped responding to the radio, and turning just the steering in that condition, the RS would heat up quickly - room temp to 130ish in 1 min of just turning the wheel back and forth. The ESC was room temp when I started.

I took a known good reciever from another car and tested it - same problem. Used different battery packs, etc.

Any thoughts guys? Is this thing toast? Anyone seen this behavior before?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #14110
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Can someone post the link to the latest 203 software? I had this on my car, went to an earlier version then tried to reinstall the 203 on my ESC and it won't work. Tried several times, recallibrated and nothing. It'll work on 200 but 203 is a no go.

Was going to erase and reinstall 203 on my computer and see if that fixes it. Thanks!
Cannondale1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #14111
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/vegas/index.html
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #14112
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Question about lipo cutoff.

What does the ESC do when the cutoff engages? Does it stutter? Stop completely? Go to partial throttle?

I set my custom cutoff to 6.6v for a 2S pack, and managed to run until there was a noticeable decrease in acceleration. So far the pack is balancing fine, but the voltage dropped into the high 5s (5.7-5.8).

This is a new pack with less than 5 cycles and I'm hoping that it's not permanently damaged. Thanks in advance.

-Lamar
Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #14113
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

I haven't run down to cutoff many times, but it doesn't really do a stutter like some other brand ESCs.

Best I can describe is that it's like the car will start to accelerate hard, then go to like 1/2 throttle until the car gets enough speed that it's not drawing enough amps on the battery for the voltage to still be at/below the cutoff voltage.

So I do remember it being possible to "drive around" the LVC.

As with any LiPo powered vehicle, any time you notice a sudden drop in power, stop.

I, personally, don't 100% trust an LVC to tell me when it's time to put the pack back on charge.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #14114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

anybody got a gearing suggestion for a speedpassion 17.5? medium asphalt.. touring car..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #14115
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

try a 6.41 to 6.84 That should be in the ball park with temps from 130 - 155
KevinHawk is offline   Reply With Quote