Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #13621
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammincrtjames View Post
What start and end rpm?
I edited the post James. Thanks for catching that.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #13622
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Tekin software Fried my motor?

So I ran into an issue today at the track, and I was wondering if anybody else has seen this issue? Unfortunately for me, it cost me a motor today.

I am running a Tekin RS, 203, in a losi xxxt truck, geared normal for my track. Here is what I originally set:

Tekin Redline 13.5
Motor timing: 0
Timing boost: 40
Timing tubo: 0
RPM Range for timing boost: 4000 - 12000

This had been run for a number of months... but today I went into the hotwire to make some other changes (drag break, etc). All these settings were basically left alone.

Race #1 = no issues. Ran the whole race, motor feels good, comes off luke warm.

Race #2 = nothing was touched. 3rd practice lap around the track, before the start of the race... and I lost all throttle. Grabbed the truck and instantly noticed that the motor was EXTREMELY hot, and smelled. So hot.. couldn't even touch it. So I checked the normal things... gear mesh was perfect.. drive train was peftect. So I hooked the ESC back up to my hotwire, and what did I find? The RPM range for my timing boost changed to 4000-4500 !!!! !!!!

So the software was adding 40 degrees of timing in a range of 500 RPMS... blew the motor up in 3 laps. This was NOT set on the ESC by me.

Id really appreciate an answer from somebody at Tekin... as I feel this bug in the software cost me a motor. Fir the record, I run Tekin RSs in 5 different cars and am plenty proficiant at programming with the hotwire.

Anybody?

Cpt.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #13623
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

This has happened to me before. Since then, I have this habit of double checking my settings. Even unplugging from the hotwire, and plugging it back it to make sure settings got saved.

I believe this only happened to me when I plug my esc to the hotwire before I plug it into my laptop.

The settings gets saved consistently when I plug my hotwire to my laptop first before I connect my esc to the hotwire.

Make sure you use the same USB every single time you change your settings.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
So I ran into an issue today at the track, and I was wondering if anybody else has seen this issue? Unfortunately for me, it cost me a motor today.

I am running a Tekin RS, 203, in a losi xxxt truck, geared normal for my track. Here is what I originally set:

Tekin Redline 13.5

This had been run for a number of months... but today I went into the hotwire to make some other changes (drag break, etc). All these settings were basically left alone.

Race #2 = nothing was touched. 3rd practice lap around the track, before the start of the race... and I lost all throttle. Grabbed the truck and instantly noticed that the motor was EXTREMELY hot, and smelled. So hot.. couldn't even touch it. So I checked the normal things... gear mesh was perfect.. drive train was peftect. So I hooked the ESC back up to my hotwire, and what did I find? The RPM range for my timing boost changed to 4000-4500 !!!! !!!!

So the software was adding 40 degrees of timing in a range of 500 RPMS... blew the motor up in 3 laps. This was NOT set on the ESC by me.

Id really appreciate an answer from somebody at Tekin... as I feel this bug in the software cost me a motor. Fir the record, I run Tekin RSs in 5 different cars and am plenty proficiant at programming with the hotwire.

Anybody?

Cpt.
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #13624
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil View Post
This has happened to me before. Since then, I have this habit of double checking my settings. Even unplugging from the hotwire, and plugging it back it to make sure settings got saved.

I believe this only happened to me when I plug my esc to the hotwire before I plug it into my laptop.

The settings gets saved consistently when I plug my hotwire to my laptop first before I connect my esc to the hotwire.

Make sure you use the same USB every single time you change your settings.

Hope this helps.
I HEARD about this issue quite a while ago, after the 203 had first come out...but kinda figured maybe somebody just forgot to save settings... so I too have made a habbit out of saving the settings, closing the hotwire software, and reopening the software to make sure the settings took, but until tonight, had never seen it myself. I did NOT however, unplug the hotwire from the esc and reconnect, THEN double check. It seems to have done it after a run, without plugging it into the hotwire at all (run 1 perfect, run 2 blown)

I can definitly confirm, it is a software bug of some kind.

It seems to me that this is a SERIOUS, possibly wallet busting bug... .. hoping for an answer from Tekin.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 03-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #13625
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post

Tekin Redline 13.5

Anybody?

Cpt.
Hers what me and my buddy found out after a little frustration and trial attempt after trial attempt.We were running into the same problem every time we tried to plug in an ending rpm of 13000. I figued out that there is a specific order to setting your end and start rpms.

Open your advanced box for sensored mode first, then type in the ending rpm's you want first, after that you have to hit the button marked calculate rpm's which will prompt you to select a starting rpm,select your starting rpm and finito your done. Hit apply settings and it works every time.

When you start by typing in your ending rpm's the program will figure out the proper increment of rpm's , based on your ramp rate, to choose a starting point.

Hope this helped you!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #13626
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64buick View Post
Hers what me and my buddy found out after a little frustration and trial attempt after trial attempt.We were running into the same problem every time we tried to plug in an ending rpm of 13000. I figued out that there is a specific order to setting your end and start rpms.

Open your advanced box for sensored mode first, then type in the ending rpm's you want first, after that you have to hit the button marked calculate rpm's which will prompt you to select a starting rpm,select your starting rpm and finito your done. Hit apply settings and it works every time.

When you start by typing in your ending rpm's the program will figure out the proper increment of rpm's , based on your ramp rate, to choose a starting point.

Hope this helped you!
THanks, this is what I always do, and have done it countless times. The first thing I do is hit "Advanced"... set timing boost, set end RPMs (10k, 12k, etc), then hit the "calc" button (which gives a dialbox box) then scroll down to whatever i want my start to be... and hit the "save/apply" button. It has stuck every single time, in every car.... Heck, it actually stayed stuck for 1 full run, and changed itself for the second run.
- RCSpecialties -
Old 03-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #13627
Tech Initiate

That blows, sorry to hear about that, its definitely something glitchy with the software because ive been reading about it here and there,tekin should probably examine the issue.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #13628
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64buick View Post
That blows, sorry to hear about that, its definitely something glitchy with the software because ive been reading about it here and there,tekin should probably examine the issue.
If I remember it correctly, one of the TEKIN staff couldn't replicate this issue.
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #13629
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil View Post
If I remember it correctly, one of the TEKIN staff couldn't replicate this issue.
I mean glichy as in some freak set of issues that happen under load during a race which cause the esc to blitz out and reset itself.New tech and the bugs that come with it ,you never know!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #13630
Tech Regular

forgive me for having even a single doubt about the quality of tekin products but is it possible for the microcontroller to lose its settings? is it maybe worth checking the quality of the microcontroller? i dont think tekin makes them inhouse. or is it extremely unlikely in general that microcontroller firmware and settings can change on their own?
benben10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #13631
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by benben10 View Post
forgive me for having even a single doubt about the quality of tekin products but is it possible for the microcontroller to lose its settings? is it maybe worth checking the quality of the microcontroller? i dont think tekin makes them inhouse. or is it extremely unlikely in general that microcontroller firmware and settings can change on their own?
Definitely got a point there because my hotwire program fritzes out on me occasionally,I have to restart it then re-input my settings because it froze up.That could be something to take a look at.Although Cpt. america mentioned that it happened to him on a second run after a flawless first run without change in between which leads me to believe it originated in the rs.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:53 AM   #13632
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I was at the track today and forgot to check the drag brake thing. Has anyone else happened to of found out if drag brake is relative to brake strength?
Old 03-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #13633
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
I was at the track today and forgot to check the drag brake thing. Has anyone else happened to of found out if drag brake is relative to brake strength?
I think it is because the drag brake that I tested was way stronger just like the brakes are.

For the RPM settings. I always check the RPM settings by pressing current settings after updating my speedo.
This can some times happen that they jump to the basic settings.
So always check them after changing your setup.

Cpt.America I drove with the Tekin 13,5T motor with this setup.
Boost max
Motor timing 4
Turbo 0
Throttle 5
Start RPM 3600
End RPM 7000
Gearing 6,2FDR

Motor stayed good under the 180F.
Best accelerating car on the track last Saturday.
Mid power was the setup with the Turbo a bit better and top speed the same.
I changed to this setup.
Boost max
Motor timing 4
Turbo 5
Turbo delay 0,2
Turbo ramp 5
Start RPM 3600
End RPM 7000
Gearing 6,6FDR
Motor stayed under the 180F (160 - 170F)
raced for 7 mints.

Still great acceleration mid power the same as the Nemesis and the Speedpassion and top speed the same on my track. Car kept accelerating till the end of the straight.

I tried with a gearing of 7FDR but this was to light.
I tried a higher motor timing but as I also had to set the Turbo on 10 and because I don't want to much timing I changed back.
Next time I will try a gearing of 5,5FDR without the motor timing and a lower or 0 Turbo.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #13634
Tech Apprentice

I believe Drag brakes are similar to the effect the old Brushed motor had of braking under its own force, where as break strength is the physical braking strength (similar to a full size car. If you take your foot off the gas the car starts to slow, this is drag brake, where as if you press the brake pedal this is physical brake/strength)

Hope that helps you
Jo90uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #13635
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
I think it is because the drag brake that I tested was way stronger just like the brakes are.

For the RPM settings. I always check the RPM settings by pressing current settings after updating my speedo.
This can some times happen that they jump to the basic settings.
So always check them after changing your setup.

Cpt.America I drove with the Tekin 13,5T motor with this setup.
Boost max
Motor timing 4
Turbo 0
Throttle 5
Start RPM 3600
End RPM 7000
Gearing 6,2FDR

Motor stayed good under the 180F.
Best accelerating car on the track last Saturday.
Mid power was the setup with the Turbo a bit better and top speed the same.
I changed to this setup.
Boost max
Motor timing 4
Turbo 5
Turbo delay 0,2
Turbo ramp 5
Start RPM 3600
End RPM 7000
Gearing 6,6FDR
Motor stayed under the 180F (160 - 170F)
raced for 7 mints.

Still great acceleration mid power the same as the Nemesis and the Speedpassion and top speed the same on my track. Car kept accelerating till the end of the straight.

I tried with a gearing of 7FDR but this was to light.
I tried a higher motor timing but as I also had to set the Turbo on 10 and because I don't want to much timing I changed back.
Next time I will try a gearing of 5,5FDR without the motor timing and a lower or 0 Turbo.
what size track is it