R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #13291
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hi guys...i am running a sc 10 on a smallish dirt track. (60'x 45')

i am currently running a 10.5 motor duo2 motor, i am running the timing on the first mark on the + side,

i am in need of smooth power...

my current settings are

no boost

35 turbo,
5 neutral width
3 throttle profile
sensored mode
no reverse,
start rpm 4900 ish end rpm 15000ish...

gearing 23/82

temps arnt too bad, i just need a bit more bottom end...and because of the dirt, it needs to be smooth...

i may be a tick over geared, but not more than a tooth or 2...

thanks guys

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #13292
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Anyone here using a Spektrum DX3S? if so, have you noticed that the neutral width has some "play" at the 56 setting? even when I go down to say 15 it still seems like there is some play there.
I have it on 0 but better is it to keep it around the 10.
You can calibrate the rest with your radio.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #13293
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Ok, not sure on this but I would think using 20-40 for boost and a 3000ish start rpm would make the power come in smooth. With the turbo like you have it I have to think it would come in pretty hard. I'm curious to hear people with more experience with offroad answer this as I will be going with a similar setup soon.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #13294
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
Ok, not sure on this but I would think using 20-40 for boost and a 3000ish start rpm would make the power come in smooth. With the turbo like you have it I have to think it would come in pretty hard. I'm curious to hear people with more experience with offroad answer this as I will be going with a similar setup soon.
i had it there to start....but i was looking for more power....

htnkas for the input though...i will go back to that...

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Old 03-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #13295
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. losi View Post
hi guys...i am running a sc 10 on a smallish dirt track. (60'x 45')

i am currently running a 10.5 motor duo2 motor, i am running the timing on the first mark on the + side,

i am in need of smooth power...

my current settings are

no boost

35 turbo,
5 neutral width
3 throttle profile
sensored mode
no reverse,
start rpm 4900 ish end rpm 15000ish...

gearing 23/82

temps arnt too bad, i just need a bit more bottom end...and because of the dirt, it needs to be smooth...

i may be a tick over geared, but not more than a tooth or 2...

thanks guys
Set the motor back to the 0. Gear for the acceleration what you want. Than higher the end RPM. As you set it higher and keep about the same start RPM, you will get a smoother acceleration from there. I think that you will need a bit more Boost as you set the motor timing lower.
I think that you mean 0 Turbo and 35 Boost
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #13296
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. losi View Post
i had it there to start....but i was looking for more power....

htnkas for the input though...i will go back to that...
If you are looking for more mid range power you could lower the end rpm so it adds the timing in faster. I have heard that you want to max out the timing in the 55 area, so with the 5 you have in the motor you could go to 50. You could also try raising the start RPM so the motor has torque longer, if you start raising the timing too fast it could take away some torque. Where exactly are you looking for the power? Low, Mid, High?
Old 03-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #13297
Tech Apprentice

Default 1:12

Hi

I just bought a 12r5.1 and I know nothing about 12 scale so is there someone who can help with some set-up to a rs pro and roll out with a 6.5 turns redline motor i run 1 cell lipo with receiver pack

Martin
MartinBasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #13298
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
Set the motor back to the 0. Gear for the acceleration what you want. Than higher the end RPM. As you set it higher and keep about the same start RPM, you will get a smoother acceleration from there. I think that you will need a bit more Boost as you set the motor timing lower.

yes i miss typed...

i have read that the du 2 likes a little retarded timing...any ideas on that???

thank you

Old 03-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #13299
Administrator

Quote:

yes i miss typed...

i have read that the duo 2 likes a little retarded timing...any ideas on that???

thank you

Old 03-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #13300
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen View Post
If you are looking for more mid range power you could lower the end rpm so it adds the timing in faster. I have heard that you want to max out the timing in the 55 area, so with the 5 you have in the motor you could go to 50. You could also try raising the start RPM so the motor has torque longer, if you start raising the timing too fast it could take away some torque. Where exactly are you looking for the power? Low, Mid, High?
looking for more low to mid...with a smooth transition....
they guys at the track were telling me to lower timing...i had it figured out with the 17.5 on carpet...the dirt and more motor is just different...you feel more....

Old 03-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #13301
Tech Master

As you set the motor timing lower, you get more torque.
This makes that the car will accelerate better. Than you need to find the spot for the start RPM.
This is the spot ad almost the top RPM of the motor without the Boost or Turbo.
As you set the motor timing lower, this spot will also go lower but I would first find a gooed gearing with a lower motor timing.
Than look if the Boost comes in smooth.
So play a bit with the RPM settings. I think 40 Boost will do.
Start RPM around the 5000. It depends on the gearing. The heavier you gear the higher the Start RPM.
As you set the End RPM higher like around the 2000, the car will accelerate smoother when the Boost comes in. As you set it lower like 10000, you will have more acceleration power. The car accelerates more.

Just play around with the RPM settings.
Set the End RPM on 18000 and play with the start RPM to see what it does in the different settings like a low start RPM from 3000 till a high Start RPM from 9000. This way you will see the difference and from there you will now witch works better for you.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #13302
Regional Moderator

Quote:
As you set the motor timing lower, you get more torque.
This makes that the car will accelerate better. Than you need to find the spot for the start RPM.
This is the spot ad almost the top RPM of the motor without the Boost or Turbo.
As you set the motor timing lower, this spot will also go lower but I would first find a gooed gearing with a lower motor timing.
Than look if the Boost comes in smooth.
So play a bit with the RPM settings. I think 40 Boost will do.
Start RPM around the 5000. It depends on the gearing. The heavier you gear the higher the Start RPM.
As you set the End RPM higher like around the 2000, the car will accelerate smoother when the Boost comes in. As you set it lower like 10000, you will have more acceleration power. The car accelerates more.

Just play around with the RPM settings.
Set the End RPM on 18000 and play with the start RPM to see what it does in the different settings like a low start RPM from 3000 till a high Start RPM from 9000. This way you will see the difference and from there you will now witch works better for you.
+1
Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #13303
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

did some reading up on this, how are people doing there settings using ballistic motors that they see are different than say a Tekin or other motor that has a more normal timing specification when it concerns boost settings on the Tekin RS?
Old 03-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #13304
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RIGHT !!!!!

i am setting my T3 up ready for our outdoor season to start AND . . . . .

i want a good set up for a FAST flowing BIG outdoor track (mikky it is Real80 Groningen) we have about a 75m straight

i am using a 13.5 Tekin motor

cheeRS Phil
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #13305
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
did some reading up on this, how are people doing there settings using ballistic motors that they see are different than say a Tekin or other motor that has a more normal timing specification when it concerns boost settings on the Tekin RS?
The motors with a higher timing like the X12 and the Novak motors run better with a lower Boost because they have a higher motor timing.
The way to find a good setup works the same but they start with a lower Boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
RIGHT !!!!!

i am setting my T3 up ready for our outdoor season to start AND . . . . .

i want a good set up for a FAST flowing BIG outdoor track (mikky it is Real80 Groningen) we have about a 75m straight

i am using a 13.5 Tekin motor

cheeRS Phil
Set the motor on 5 to 10 timing. As you set it on 6 or 8 the motor stays a bit cooler.
Than gear for the infield. Because of the higher top speeds and the heavier gearing, set the start RPM higher and the End RPM also.
Use a high end RPM. this makes that the RPM range is bigger. this way you can gear heavier without having problems of motor head. Start with a Boost of 40 to 45 and find a gearing for the infield. As you have found a good gearing and the motor tempo is ok, than higher the Boost till you have the Best infield speed.
Play a bit with the RPM settings. A higher start RPM will give you more torque by the start with the heavier gearing.
Than as this is all ok ad the Turbo.
set the Delay high. set it in the beginning around the 0,9sec. Turbo ramp 2.

I think a higher start RPM is also better with the corners on Real80.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R