R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #13201
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualoki View Post
20_Smoke & Tekin: thanks for your help the setting ran really good first time out, the esc ran like a dream, tekin making top 4 here in Scotland's carpet series (not bad considering i just came back last month from a 5 year break from RC and everything is new to me).

One thing tho, i found it was still accelerating at the end of the straight, the turbo came on just after i hit the straight and it was easily the quickest car there. So my thought was it was geared to much for straights, i kept dropping pinnions and getting higher and higher FDR, started at 6.5 fdr ended up at about 7.70 and the thing was still trying to accelerate as i was getting to the braking point. Is it safe running turbo with a really high gear ratio? 8.0-9.0?
just drop the turbo a little ,play with the setting in the rpm range more or less rpm,just like mikky said dont grear for the straight gear for the infeild
Old 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #13202
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFuel11 View Post
I want to make sure I understand this process:

You can set turbo down to a 0 delay and use turbo to apply initial timing for infield rip and off the corner acceleration and then use the boost to adjust your straight away speed which you can control by adjusting the RPM range.

This seems flip flopped from the way I was used to applying boost and turbo...

Is this correct and if so, I will have to give it a try and report back...

Thanks
Like the others said, you can flip them and it works great. I run the same setup in 17.5 and 13.5 and have a very fast car. I didn't like the way the turbo came in after a delay. We have a sweeper prior to the straightaway and depending on the line you are able to take, you may have to feather the throttle. The 0 delay and wider RPM range work better for me and power is more consistent around the track. It didn't create more power, it just applies the power better IMO.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #13203
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to twk-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeasler View Post
So in the end what was your best setup overall for starting rpm/ending rpm and settings in between.

Rod
b: 46 start:9000 end:13000
t: 14 delay:0
drag:0
profile:3
tdb: 5 (5% on remote also)
brake:100 (92% on remote)

that range because of the temp seems best.... but this is totally tuned to that track and my infield/straight exit speed of that given track layout, with that FDR... the setup still needs some work on the straight.... removing the slinky effect to leaving me 4 car lengths ahead at the end

this particular exercise was more about knowledge then finding the demon tweak.... to solve the nemesis temps bouncing from 100-225F with nothing in between.... starting with the orca, with fixed timing removes one of the variables....

1) finding the effects of the start RPM on temp...
2) rpm range has point were temps jump about 20F... but you want to minimize the range to maximize speed...

Between these two you have a savings of 60F... the question is how to apply that to make the thing faster... before you could just grab 4 teeth and off to the races.... now there is gear, boost, turbo, range, ramp, profile, motor timing.. which are all interconnected...

The nemesis will be a double check on the effects of the above off corner RPM and range estimates...

70 boost between motor, boost, and turbo seems to be the absolute max limit, regardless of how it is applied... so going to the nemesis with 0 (or even -5 timing), then dialing in 20 turbo and 50 boost should theoretically give the best of both worlds.... ultra snort with no loss in top end (and better acceleration getting there)... and with the right range no melt down hopefully...

At the end of the day, the hope is to find a solid way to dial the tekin in quickly at a new track....

The next question, is do I have a 30,000 RPM motor that is only reving to 20k RPM? Prez from Tekin said that 25k-35k... and really 30k seemed to be the sweet spot for max RPM... Right now I cant be hitting too much above say 19000 RPM, given where the boost seems to end (13000) and compared to top speed...

---

question.... Is the changing profile on the esc the same as exponential throttle in the remote, or does it have something similar to the mamba that does some nifty current induction thing? If it has advantages then testing how range needs to spread to maintain temp when jumping from profile 3 to 4 and 5 would be great to know....
twk-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #13204
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twk-b View Post
question.... Is the changing profile on the esc the same as exponential throttle in the remote, or does it have something similar to the mamba that does some nifty current induction thing? If it has advantages then testing how range needs to spread to maintain temp when jumping from profile 3 to 4 and 5 would be great to know....
In version 203 and previous the profiles are exactly like exponential on your radio. A future update will change this to timing profiles so that those who don't want to mess around with hotwire can still benefit from timing advance.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #13205
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Hey Guys,

last night i finally got my Ko Propo module for my radio and everything went fine with installation of the Tekin RS ESC system that came with a 10.5T motor.

Now the problem i had last night and speaking to many top drivers here in Australia the calibration process was a nightmare and with no success.

Faults:
Very very Faint Chime
No throttle or motor action

Everything was checked over and over, and all the trouble shoot was put in place.

Lucky for me i have now actioned a RA# from tekin which has kindly provided the item back ASAP.

I just wanted to find out why or has anyone come across with the similar issues with a faint chime and no response from motor

Cheers
Frankie
Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #13206
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Well--managed to find a "mini laptop" today---hit the internet--and download the Tekin software for my Hotwire---reload the data into my RS Esc--and it STILL will NOT recognize the center point of the transmitter???? SO--I've got a dead ESC?? MAN--- I HATE ELECTRONICS!!! IT should be simpler to get a motor to run in a little RC car!!!
timmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #13207
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodak Hodak Send a message via Skype™ to Kodak Hodak

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig View Post
Well--managed to find a "mini laptop" today---hit the internet--and download the Tekin software for my Hotwire---reload the data into my RS Esc--and it STILL will NOT recognize the center point of the transmitter???? SO--I've got a dead ESC?? MAN--- I HATE ELECTRONICS!!! IT should be simpler to get a motor to run in a little RC car!!!
i feel your pain.... same boat here in Australia mate, get onto the support channel with Tekin they looking after me but will hear back in 14 days or so....
Old 03-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #13208
Tech Adept

did some X12 10.5t testing today, track is technical with a couple of medium/fast sweepers then a single straight. Had the Sentry hooked up to log RPM, current, voltage and motor temp. Nice sunny day and air temp around 25C.

Running the X12 on the std 2dot timing insert, gearing at 7.71

I started out with 0 boost and 0 turbo, the motor was revving to a max of around 30k RPM pulling around 15A on the straight and around 30-40A peaks thru the infield. temps around 50C. Boring!! I noticed that the lowest RPM i was seeing on the track was 9-10k.

Now i set boost to 35, start 9xxx end 30xxx, turbo still 0. Things came alive for the infield, now i was seeing around 50A peaks. On the straight the motor was reaching top speed around half the straight. Max RPM was around 41k pulling around 32A. Temps were at about 60C after 6mins, still below my target of 80C.

Time for turbo, now i had boost 35 9xxx 30xxx, turbo 15, delay 0.4, ramp 2.0. Now the little 10.5t was singing like my 4.5t mod motor down the straight. I still had the same 50A peaks on the infield, but on the straight max RPM was now 50k RPM and pulling 70A!! after a 6min run temp was 77C, happy days...

I was happy with the turbo delay at 0.4s, it suited the track.

After this i tried trading off boost for turbo and got the expected reults. I could increase boost to 40 and drop turbo to 10 and still get ~80C temps after 6mins. I also tried boost 30 and turbo 20, temps were back down to 75C and the car was really smooth on the infield but i felt it lacked a bit of punch also on the straight the turbo was savage enough to unsettle the car.

Finally i tried, boost 35 turbo 20, car was awesome but temps had pushed up to 85C motor was pulling over 80A on the straight now.

It was great to finally get some hard numbers on the datalogger and see the tradeoff i could make between the infield, straight and motor temp.

A really productive session the only question i'm left with is "What is the max RPM an X12 motor can handle?"
gameover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #13209
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak Hodak View Post
Hey Guys,

last night i finally got my Ko Propo module for my radio and everything went fine with installation of the Tekin RS ESC system that came with a 10.5T motor.

Now the problem i had last night and speaking to many top drivers here in Australia the calibration process was a nightmare and with no success.

Faults:
Very very Faint Chime
No throttle or motor action

Everything was checked over and over, and all the trouble shoot was put in place.

Lucky for me i have now actioned a RA# from tekin which has kindly provided the item back ASAP.

I just wanted to find out why or has anyone come across with the similar issues with a faint chime and no response from motor

Cheers
Frankie
With my KO radio, I needed to have throttle set to reverse in the radio, otherwise speed control calibration will not work. Make sure to check this before sending back to Tekin.
Doog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #13210
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Agree, sounds like the radio is not set correctly
Old 03-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #13211
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to twk-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover View Post
did some X12 10.5t testing today, track is technical with a couple of medium/fast sweepers then a single straight. Had the Sentry hooked up to log RPM, current, voltage and motor temp. Nice sunny day and air temp around 25C.

I started out with 0 boost and 0 turbo, the motor was revving to a max of around 30k RPM pulling around 15A on the straight and around 30-40A peaks thru the infield. temps around 50C. Boring!! I noticed that the lowest RPM i was seeing on the track was 9-10k.

Now i set boost to 35, start 9xxx end 30xxx, turbo still 0. Things came alive for the infield, now i was seeing around 50A peaks. On the straight the motor was reaching top speed around half the straight. Max RPM was around 41k pulling around 32A. Temps were at about 60C after 6mins, still below my target of 80C.

Time for turbo, now i had boost 35 9xxx 30xxx, turbo 15, delay 0.4, ramp 2.0. Now the little 10.5t was singing like my 4.5t mod motor down the straight. I still had the same 50A peaks on the infield, but on the straight max RPM was now 50k RPM and pulling 70A!! after a 6min run temp was 77C, happy days...

After this i tried trading off boost for turbo and got the expected reults. I could increase boost to 40 and drop turbo to 10 and still get ~80C temps after 6mins. I also tried boost 30 and turbo 20, temps were back down to 75C and the car was really smooth on the infield but i felt it lacked a bit of punch also on the straight the turbo was savage enough to unsettle the car.

Finally i tried, boost 35 turbo 20, car was awesome but temps had pushed up to 85C motor was pulling over 80A on the straight now.

It was great to finally get some hard numbers on the datalogger and see the tradeoff i could make between the infield, straight and motor temp.

A really productive session the only question i'm left with is "What is the max RPM an X12 motor can handle?"
great info...

I'd want to know what your temps would be if re-geared to hit +/- 5,000 on 50,000 and see what the temps and times do...

anyone have a good scale of what each of the classes of motors should be running... physically they can only deviate so much brand to brand...

30k for 17.5? how much higher for 13.5 and 10.5?

50K that thing must sound like its gonna take off...
twk-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #13212
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

newbie RS question:

I noticed on some of the setups for 13.5 the RPM ranges as (example) start 4000 and end 15000.

I can enter 4000, but then it only shows certain values to choose from for start RPM. How do I enter an exact value for start RPM?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:57 AM   #13213
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
newbie RS question:

I noticed on some of the setups for 13.5 the RPM ranges as (example) start 4000 and end 15000.

I can enter 4000, but then it only shows certain values to choose from for start RPM. How do I enter an exact value for start RPM?
you cant get a exact end rpm value. once you set your start rpm choose a end rpm closest to what you want.
There is some calculations done in the software that works of off the start rpm value that kicks out random end rpm selections.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #13214
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Here's a question for all of you seasoned vets. I run 1/12 17.5 1c and I have been fighting the car droping of .8 to a full 1 second in the last 2 min. The frist 4-5 min the car rips like crazy. What is your expirence of fading? some guys at the club seem to be able to knock the fade down to .3 or .4. Here are my settings

Timing 48
Turbo 4
Delay .5
End 7000
Start 2500
rollout 75

Thanks for any help and suggestions guys!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #13215
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig View Post
Did you set all the TH values on 100%?
As you set your brake TH lower or other TH values, than it will not calibrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameover View Post

Great info, thanks.
As you set your Boost on 30 and lower the top RPM, than you will get also more infield punch. Than you can set the Turbo to 20.
That you get higher values like the 80A is because you have a lot of timing on the straight.
I think that you can better set the gearing heavier a bit and see what the acceleration does. As you want more punch when you gear heavier, you can set the timing on the motor lower. You can ad than more Boost.

Try to run with a lower motor timing and see what the top RPM is. I think that as you gear heavier that the top RPM with 0 Boost and 0 Turbo will be the same.
I think also that your top speed will be higher and you will have more acceleration power with a lower motor timing.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote