R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #1246
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
Personally, I think that gearing for temperature is pretty stupid. Always check the temp so that you don't cook the motor but gear for laptimes. Sometimes a motor will be faster at 130 degrees instead of 160.
I've been thinking the same thing lately. I just put on an Eagle Racing heatsink on my motor along with a Much More high speed fan. This really does a great job cooling my motor. So...I figured...hey since I'm running cooler I can add more gear and timing. I got my temps back up to 160-170 but didn't really see major changes in lap times. I'll be at the track tomorrow to test some more.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:28 AM   #1247
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Randy,
I Have a RS Pro with a 10.5 motor (Futaba 3PK transmitter). It seems to have very little braking power even though I am running 100% brakes on my radio and esc.

Does the neutral width and drag brake settings have an effect on how much total braking power the speed has? Does the type of motor used have an effect on total braking power?

Thanks
Josh
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #1248
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

I understand about the gearing. Our sensored Redline should be right on par with the others. Honestly I find that we are inbetween the LRP and the Novak quite often.

In what mode are you running your 3PK in? I've been working with a few drivers on a similiar issue with drag brakes.

Nuetral width is easy to understand if you think of it like the window for the esc to "view" nuetral. The more the window is shut(lower NW) the less forgiving it is to see nuetral. The higher is the opposite.

That being said some radios nuetral can "wander." My M8 was doing this which would arm the esc, calibrate just fine but would cause my drag brakes not to work since at times my radio's nuetral would be out of the window.

The other things to check when brakes dont' feel right is the ABS function some radios have. Make sure it's OFF when you do your radio calibrate. Soft brakes can be attributed to this even being on in the first place.

First thing to check is making sure you get full led's when the brakes are applied. The entire led strip should be on. Full throttle will have the full strip blink...

So now for some questions again. What mode is your radio in? PPM? PCM, FAAST, etc.

Where is your RS set up now? Brake strength? Nuetral Width,etc?

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #1249
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

hey guys. ive been having some delay problems in 1/12. at the start of the race, when i squeeze full throttle there is a delay of about 2 seconds before it takes off. the car moves slow and then takes off. this doesnt happen in my touring car. throttle is instant. thanx for the help
Old 10-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #1250
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfeelcold View Post
Randy,
I Have a RS Pro with a 10.5 motor (Futaba 3PK transmitter). It seems to have very little braking power even though I am running 100% brakes on my radio and esc.

Does the neutral width and drag brake settings have an effect on how much total braking power the speed has? Does the type of motor used have an effect on total braking power?

Thanks
Josh
Josh, you might as well not use the speedie without the hotwire.
Bring your car over to windsor on friday, and i will help you out with the Hotwire, you need to juice up the timing and the brakes.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:40 AM   #1251
Tech Regular

Default TEKIN RS FOR 1/12TH SET UP

Hi Guys
looking to use this for 1/12th carpet racing using a Novak 10.5bl

Large track meduim to high grip.Car Corally 1/12th.

Settings please
tellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #1252
Tech Master

Randy,
I am running my 3PK in HRS mode. When full brakes are applied all the LED's light up, same with full throttle. The neutral width is at the lowest setting, the brakes at 100% and drag brakes are off. ABS is off completely too. I am using a 10.5 motor if that makes a difference.

Bradd,
I got the hotwire aswell. I had a play with it already, nothing so far has helped the maximum braking power.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #1253
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

put the drag brake way up Josh.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #1254
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Randy,
I am running my 3PK in HRS mode. When full brakes are applied all the LED's light up, same with full throttle. The neutral width is at the lowest setting, the brakes at 100% and drag brakes are off. ABS is off completely too. I am using a 10.5 motor if that makes a difference.

Bradd,
I got the hotwire aswell. I had a play with it already, nothing so far has helped the maximum braking power.
I am running a 4PK in HRS with the same settings as you with 17.5 redline in an xray t2. Braking seems weak to me also ,this is my first brushless setup so I thought it was the way brushless felt.
I would think drag brake would not make a difference in maximum braking force. My drag brake is set at 0 ,I will play with that I guess.
rushrush1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:20 PM   #1255
Tech Champion

I noticed the weak brakes in hybrid mode only...I would almost go as far as saying I had almost no brakes. After talking with people locally I came to believe that was normal for BL which is why I never mentioned it. Not just drag brakes either this also affected normal braking. When I made the switch to sensored only I found brakes were good and I am having no problems. My setup is a Futaba 3PJS with the Spektrum module and the Spektrum mini reciever. I am running in PPM mode and the ABS is disabled. I made no changes to the radio when I switched from hybrid to sensored mode.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #1256
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
When you guys are changing settings make sure to use the "open" profiles to customize. Going between the hotwire and the buttons can move a setting where it wasn't before causing your error. This is due to not being on a "customizable" profile.

If you ever question something re read your instructions. I realize that they're long and have a lot of reading but these esc's are packed full of features that simply don't exsist in others. The sensor checker is one that comes to mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
Hi Randy, I don't understand what you mean by "open" profiles, can you elaborate on that?

Thanks for the support!
Randy,

I'd also like you to elaborate on this "open" or "customizable" profile matter. I've been through the RS manual several times, and for the life of me I can't see what you're talking about. Nothing in the hotwire software goes into it either. If I'm doing something wrong here I'd really like to know.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #1257
Tech Master

how do you change to sensored mode?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #1258
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Only through Hotwire.
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #1259
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

dontfeelcold,

You tick the box in the hotwire screen, when changing profile data.

Regards,

Calvin
caltek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 PM   #1260
Tech Master

Quote:
RS/RSPro are defaulted as sensored(Hybrid mode) when ESC is tured on.. If checking disabled you go to sensorless mode, with HotWire.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote