Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tekin RS ESC sensored >

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motomanpat
I have an RS coming this week and I am starting to get worried reading about all the issues people are having. Are most of these issues human error or are there issues with the software?
It's hard to say for sure but I would say it's probably user error. The Tekin has been one of the most reliable brushless speedos I have ever seen.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

ditto to what technic said.. we have setup no less than 5 or 6 new tekins this week alone down here. i have been running one for quite some time as have several others locals at my track and i have yet to see a single issue other than my car is now too fast for me..
Old 02-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPMSRacing
I am going to try and talk to Tekin this week, right now I am trying to figure out what to do to get this new B44 up and going to race after I replace the chassis, from this mess. I really didnt want to buy another Novak, but I am scared of Tekin right now. It has been so frustrating and extremely costly having to buy someone a new motor and a chassis for a new car I havent even raced yet.
That's all we ask is give us a chance. You won't be disappointed. Please PM Randy Pike or call Tekin directly. Customer satisfaction is the #1 goal. Also...remember that tomorrow is a holiday so if you don't get a live person on the phone this may be the reason.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

You should be able to run the v200 software with out any problems if you are worried about it. I have had my speedo for a 1 1/2 now... just out of warranty and this is the first problem that appeared to be a failure.

I have faith they will figure it out.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Clogging Problem Also!!!

Callin all Tekin Specialtist??? her is my set up...i have a problem when i give a small amount of throttle i have a squealing sound from my esc...i changed the sensor wire..i have a digital servo..novak 17.5 ball..drag break 20...rev off...break 90...neutral 10...motor bl-fw..throttle 5...voltage 2...push off...timinmg 50...turbo 10..turbo delay 0.1...end rpm 7000...start rpm 2437...turbo ramp 3.0...spur 100...pinion 41...an im driving a photon...help fellas i got to get rid of the squeal!!!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbank66
Callin all Tekin Specialtist??? her is my set up...i have a problem when i give a small amount of throttle i have a squealing sound from my esc...i changed the sensor wire..i have a digital servo..novak 17.5 ball..drag break 20...rev off...break 90...neutral 10...motor bl-fw..throttle 5...voltage 2...push off...timinmg 50...turbo 10..turbo delay 0.1...end rpm 7000...start rpm 2437...turbo ramp 3.0...spur 100...pinion 41...an im driving a photon...help fellas i got to get rid of the squeal!!!
try gearing down some 3-4 teeth

sounds like your over geared
Old 02-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

this sounds comes even before i make a lap....once im running its fine....just at low rpm an at the begginning of a run..
Old 02-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

No offense to Casey, but being 4 teeth off won't cause the squeal you've described (although I agree it would appear to be over geared). In my experience it comes down to a sensor issue. Here are the culprits from likely to not likely . . .

1. Sensor Wire (If possible troubleshoot with a sensor wire known to work properly with V203, or try a NIP one. I've had a few not work right recently)

2. Sensor wire not getting plugged in all the way. You might be feeling the cog of sensorless mode and never even run sensorless if there is debris etc hindering full contact with the pins)

3. A problem with the sensors in the motor. If possible troubleshoot with a motor known to work properly with V203.

I had this problem this Sat and when I swapped sensor wires twice, it persisted. I bought a new motor and installed it (ballistic which included a new sensor wire) and installed a spektrum cap to the receiver and the problem never came back all day running off-road 2wd buggy.

Let us know what you find . . .
Old 02-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
No offense to Casey, but being 4 teeth off won't cause the squeal you've described (although I agree it would appear to be over geared). In my experience it comes down to a sensor issue. Here are the culprits from likely to not likely . . .

1. Sensor Wire (If possible troubleshoot with a sensor wire known to work properly with V203, or try a NIP one. I've had a few not work right recently)

2. Sensor wire not getting plugged in all the way. You might be feeling the cog of sensorless mode and never even run sensorless if there is debris etc hindering full contact with the pins)

3. A problem with the sensors in the motor. If possible troubleshoot with a motor known to work properly with V203.

I had this problem this Sat and when I swapped sensor wires twice, it persisted. I bought a new motor and installed it (ballistic which included a new sensor wire) and installed a spektrum cap to the receiver and the problem never came back all day running off-road 2wd buggy.

Let us know what you find . . .
hi, whats the story behind putting a capacitor to the receiver?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbank66
That is too much timing too soon! First off get away from the 3.0 ramp rate. Right now you're dumping a huge amount of timing in just over a tenth of a second! AND you're running the most agressive throttle profile.

Those rpm's are also too low for a 2s application like TC.

Try start of 25xx and end rpm of 13,500, turbo delay at least .2 ,2.0 ramp rate.

You also don't mention where your motor is timed.

Bottom line, you've got too much timing and this "squeal" is cogging. Change it or you will destroy the motor/esc.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

..I just installed the RS tekin in my 12th scale....

Who got the winning 12th 13.5 setup at the snowbirds or the latest best set up ? our track is 60X100
Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Randy...im running a novak 17.5 an rhe timing is at N...someone told me thats still a advanced timing....where should i be????
Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

JPRMSRacing: I feel your pain. It's frustrating enough when something that's supposed to be awesome doesn't work, and it's even worse when it breaks things and costs even more. I've got 2 RS's, both work fine, but a 100% quality record is pretty much impossible. If it's a problem with your unit, I'm sure tekin will take care of you.

That being said, I'm gonna throw a few more things out there that I haven't seen others mention yet (at least in relation to your problem). I'm an electric newb, so it might not be helpful, though.

1) I'm pretty sure motor timing is backwards from a clock: clockwise is less timing, counter-clockwise is more timing. If you adjusted motor timing, make sure you adjusted in the correct direction, if your motor doesn't have clear timing marks like the Tekin. If you got that backwards, it would definitely make your issues worse.

2) Did you double and triple check the wiring at the speedo? I don't know if that would cause your issue, but if there was a short or a bad connection at the speedo, it might explain why you had the same problem with all the motors. And it could also be easily overlooked by everyone who was helping you troubleshoot.

3) Did you try sensored mode with 0 timing boost and no turbo? That was suggested a couple times, but I didn't see results from it. Ditto with flashing back to the version 200 software.

4) Did you go through the radio calibration without a problem?

-Mike
Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Tech Adept

Default Brakes, again.

Hi,

I dug out my RS Pro to put into my TC yesterday as my SPX just isn't quick enough to keep up.

I loaded 203 onto it and sure enough, the car was a missile but I'm having to brake about 5 metres before the corner in order to get into the apex, during which time I'm losing about 3 metres to the cars behind me.

Here's a video of the race in question:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'm the orange TQ car and when at race speed, I was hitting the brakes just under the furthest right basket ball hoop.

I know the problem isn't the motor (Novak Ballistic 13.5) because the SPX would stop the car almost instantly on the lowest brake profile.

I tried resetting the radio throttle position, I tried as someone else suggested, putting the speedo into BL-F/R with max reverse, applying the settings and then changing it back to BL-FW. But there was no change.

Any suggestions for getting good brakes? Could it be a hardware problem?

- Tim.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by THancock

[...]

I tried resetting the radio throttle position, I tried as someone else suggested, putting the speedo into BL-F/R with max reverse, applying the settings and then changing it back to BL-FW. But there was no change.

Any suggestions for getting good brakes? Could it be a hardware problem?

- Tim.
Have you tried the calibration to 90%EPA then reverting to 100% trick?

Another thing to be aware of is that sometimes settigns are not transferred correctly to the ESC. I had this problem too, and at the moment the only fix is that you need to close hotwire and reopen it and check the ESC settigns to make sure they are what you want them to be. That's how I do it, anyway.

Last edited by niznai; 02-15-2010 at 02:13 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.