R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #11731
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil View Post
WOW! Easy buttons! Now I have a chance!!!!! Thanks Jim. This is just the news I was looking for!
Come on Art. You have explained some of the more complicated aspects of r/c to me. You and "easy" just don't fit!

We can program your RS on my netbook...No problem.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #11732
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Should the RS Pro come with motor wires - mine only came with one red one black and one blue and the blue isn't long enough to make 3 wires. I can find some other wire but just wondering if that's teh way they all come ?
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, SVR,Schumacher Storm BigWig
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #11733
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy View Post
Should the RS Pro come with motor wires - mine only came with one red one black and one blue and the blue isn't long enough to make 3 wires. I can find some other wire but just wondering if that's teh way they all come ?
That is correct, it comes with one red, one black and one blue, 3 in total.

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #11734
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

with my new rs pro I have to connect it to a battery and turn it on to get the hotwire connected on my PC.

has anyone else had this issue, everyone else I know just plugs the esc in to the hotwire and it powers from the USB?
ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #11735
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben73 View Post
with my new rs pro I have to connect it to a battery and turn it on to get the hotwire connected on my PC.

has anyone else had this issue, everyone else I know just plugs the esc in to the hotwire and it powers from the USB?
My guess, and it is a guess, is that the USB port you are using is not powering the HotWire for some reason. Some USB ports will either not supply power or enough power to supply peripherals. When plugging it in, are you getting any lights at all on either the HotWire or RS Pro?

Trev
Schumacher Racing
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #11736
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
My guess, and it is a guess, is that the USB port you are using is not powering the HotWire for some reason. Some USB ports will either not supply power or enough power to supply peripherals. When plugging it in, are you getting any lights at all on either the HotWire or RS Pro?

Trev
it lights up the hotwire green light but will not power up the esc
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #11737
Tech Regular

HotWire green light means that the HotWire is getting power OK.

You should be getting a single red light in the middle of the RS display, flickering slightly, and the green light on the HotWire should be flickering also. If you have an entire line of lights you have plugged the HotWire into the computer before plugging the RS into the HotWire, it needs to be the other way around. If you have no lights at all on the RS, I suggest you contact Tekin support as this is not a normal situation and it appears the power is not getting from the HotWire to the RS.

The only other thing I can think of is ensure that the USB cable is presed all the way into the HotWire. It sometimes seems like it is, but isn't.

Trev
Schumacher Racing
Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #11738
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
HotWire green light means that the HotWire is getting power OK.

You should be getting a single red light in the middle of the RS display, flickering slightly, and the green light on the HotWire should be flickering also. If you have an entire line of lights you have plugged the HotWire into the computer before plugging the RS into the HotWire, it needs to be the other way around. If you have no lights at all on the RS, I suggest you contact Tekin support as this is not a normal situation and it appears the power is not getting from the HotWire to the RS.

The only other thing I can think of is ensure that the USB cable is presed all the way into the HotWire. It sometimes seems like it is, but isn't.

Trev
hey trev

yep have it all connected as you described but the nw light on the esc will not light up until I connect the battery and turn the light on.

strange....

Ill speak with Randy and see what he says.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 AM   #11739
Tech Regular

Another thought, you've not by any chance removed the red wire from the speedo plug or shortened the cable? Removing the red wire from the plug may cause problems, as may a bad connection.

Trev
Schumacher Racing
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 AM   #11740
Tech Addict

Hey guys!

I was wondering if you could help me a bit. Just got a new RS and will be using the newest version of the software. I'd ask around for help locally, but I live in Japan and no one here uses Tekin where I live (Okinawa). I want to show them that there are other brands that are just as good (if not way better, he he he) then there domestic stuff.

I received a bunch of set up info from another member on this forum (thanks Emiel), but I'd also like to post here to see if anyone has further input.

I'm no stranger to touring car racing, but I'm brand new to all this advanced timing ESC business, he he he.

Race day is approaching quicky and unfortunately I won't have any practice time before hand (I'm in the military and my schedule is extremely hetic).

I need help finding a base set up for a Yokomo 10.5 motor, which I believe is the same thing as the LRP X-11 motors. It's the only brusless motor they allow over here, otherwise, I'd be using a Tekin motor of course.

Here's a link to our track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYgFDuP7e7w

We run rubber tire, usually Sorex 36R.

Any help or base/starting set up info would be greatly appreciated.

- Paulie
pgeldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 AM   #11741
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
Hey guys!

I was wondering if you could help me a bit. Just got a new RS and will be using the newest version of the software. I'd ask around for help locally, but I live in Japan and no one here uses Tekin where I live (Okinawa). I want to show them that there are other brands that are just as good (if not way better, he he he) then there domestic stuff.

I received a bunch of set up info from another member on this forum (thanks Emiel), but I'd also like to post here to see if anyone has further input.

I'm no stranger to touring car racing, but I'm brand new to all this advanced timing ESC business, he he he.

Race day is approaching quicky and unfortunately I won't have any practice time before hand (I'm in the military and my schedule is extremely hetic).

I need help finding a base set up for a Yokomo 10.5 motor, which I believe is the same thing as the LRP X-11 motors. It's the only brusless motor they allow over here, otherwise, I'd be using a Tekin motor of course.

Here's a link to our track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYgFDuP7e7w

We run rubber tire, usually Sorex 36R.

Any help or base/starting set up info would be greatly appreciated.

- Paulie
With that track size, maybe you can try the following:

Sensored Mode
Boost: 50
Turbo: 5
Delay: 0.6 to 0.8s
start: 4500ish
end: 14000ish
ramp: 2

Check your motor temperature after a few laps.
hardmankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:37 AM   #11742
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Hi Guys,
Tried doing a search but their are so many pages on here lol. Anyway my question is i heard from a fellow racer that the next software update for the RS is going to be the last as it will have reached its its maximum. Is this true as im thinking about getting an RS Pro (after getting smashed by one on the w/e ) they are just so much faster with the new software but i don't wanna buy one then have only one more software update or TEKIN bring out a new speedy. Does anyone know if a new speedy is in the pipeline?

Cheers
Fast XXXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:49 AM   #11743
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast XXXS View Post
Hi Guys,
Tried doing a search but their are so many pages on here lol. Anyway my question is i heard from a fellow racer that the next software update for the RS is going to be the last as it will have reached its its maximum. Is this true as im thinking about getting an RS Pro (after getting smashed by one on the w/e ) they are just so much faster with the new software but i don't wanna buy one then have only one more software update or TEKIN bring out a new speedy. Does anyone know if a new speedy is in the pipeline?

Cheers
I dont know if the next upgrade will be the last or not, but just based on the current tech support, on-track performance etc... the Tekin RS/RSpro is the ESC to get now.

As for the other brands, you will be forced to buy a new ESC after 1/2 year anyway since most other ESCs are not firmware upgradable.
hardmankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:04 AM   #11744
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast XXXS View Post
Does anyone know if a new speedy is in the pipeline?
If there is, it's been kept very secret!

I have not seen or heard of any new ESC coming out, definately nothing to replace the RS/Pro so don't worry!...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:10 AM   #11745
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreff View Post
The biggest difference is the number of Fets. The Pro has double the fets the normal RS has... hence why it has no motor limit. While the resistance is lower, you really will see no benefit from a Pro vs. normal RS if you're running higher than a 5.5 BL motor. Both speedos operate identically and feel the same as well. If you can feel a difference in resistance, then you my friend are gifted. We have more battery and motor than we need to worry about that anymore.

Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
the couple of times you asked the question, you got the same responses. maybe we are not understanding what you are asking.

the cap you get for both are the same.
the case for the rs pro is different then the rs.
the rs pro has 2 circuit boards, the rs only has 1.
the rs pro has more fets, basically on the second circuit board.
i even believe that the fets are the same.
the solder post are the same.
I believe that the wire harnesses are shared between the 2.
the configuration is the same. basically the foot print and where the wires are soldered and where the sensor ports are.
they share the same firmware
guessing here, but I beleive they share the same processor
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
A couple others have already responded but here goes. The RS Pro and RS are identical in software. The Pro has 48 fets (2 circuit boards), the RS has 24 fets (1 circuit board). They have the same footprint but the Pro is taller to accomodate the extra height needed for the second fet board. The Pro also has a different sticker on it that says "RS Pro".
Thank you all very much as that is exactly the information I was looking for. Didn't want to spend 40-50$ more if it was not needed. Thanks again!!