R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #11701
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post

i did mention rpm, because it get that from the sensor cable
That appears to be exactly what I found at around 150$.
It is listed as not available on the page you linked, little wonder at that price.

Not sure what you mean in the last sentence.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #11702
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the sensor cable to your brushless motor has rpm info. and the sentry has a port for your sensor cable to plug in. so it does read rpm.

it is not available because the tekin speedo have driven demand pretty much through the roof on this product

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #11703
Tech Elite

Quote:
I certainly hope that there is not anyone that has the expectation that anyone on this forum could possibily give you a setup that is "perfect".
Sadly, you just described over 90% of the people here on R/C Tech.

Many believe that because it's a PRO drivers setup that it has magic powers and will work for anyone, anywhere. This applies to chassis and now speedo setups.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #11704
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunMac View Post
Sadly, you just described over 90% of the people here on R/C Tech.

Many believe that because it's a PRO drivers setup that it has magic powers and will work for anyone, anywhere. This applies to chassis and now speedo setups.
+1 - Well put...

I've found that each driver likes something a little different when it comes to setups; chassis, ESC, or otherwise. Don't be afraid to experiment a little while being cognizant of the fact that it'll take time to find the setup that works "perfectly" for you.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #11705
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
+1 - Well put...

I've found that each driver likes something a little different when it comes to setups; chassis, ESC, or otherwise. Don't be afraid to experiment a little while being cognizant of the fact that it'll take time to find the setup that works "perfectly" for you.
Speedo setup is track size and driver dependent. Track size will tell you how much timing you can roll in and if you can use Turbo. How a driver applies throttle and how good his car is set up is the rest of the puzzle. Smooth drivers that roll on the throttle and have cars that carry good corner speed can run more agressive setups and still heat up the motor less. Guys that use the trigger like an on-off switch and have cars that are too stuck and bog in the corners won't be able to with out roasting their motors.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #11706
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Speedo setup is track size and driver dependent. Track size will tell you how much timing you can roll in and if you can use Turbo. How a driver applies throttle and how good his car is set up is the rest of the puzzle. Smooth drivers that roll on the throttle and have cars that carry good corner speed can run more agressive setups and still heat up the motor less. Guys that use the trigger like an on-off switch and have cars that are too stuck and bog in the corners won't be able to with out roasting their motors.
Don't forget corner type too. For example a track with hairpins on and off the straight may require a different ESC setup to one with sweepers on and off. With that example turbo boost may be different at least. You don't want it kicking in at the end of a straight just before a hairpin!

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #11707
Tech Elite

WHAT?!!! are you guys saying donnie's tq setup is not going to get me to the A main at the up coming carpet nats? lol

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #11708
Tech Regular

Quote:
WHAT?!!! are you guys saying donnie's tq setup is not going to get me to the A main at the up coming carpet nats? lol
It might, but only if you're good enough, drive with the same style and the track is a similar size and type

Trev
Schumacher Racing
Old 02-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #11709
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
+1 - Well put...

Right. I agree with the above. However, at the same time, for someone that is coming from LRP and a "set it and forget it" approach (when it comes to the ESC settings at least), the Tekin RS can be a bit intimidating. Using others' profiles allows you to at least have a starting point with which to start experimenting for your local track and your own driving style.

I have only been on this thread for 2 days and I haven't even run my Tekin yet (tonight!), but I already feel like I have a good grasp on the process and what things do what thanks to all the knowledge shared. I know that the setups I have downloaded and the tips people have shared with me aren't going to be the end all be all at my local track (and for my particular car), but they got me a head start instead of starting with the box stock profile.

Hopefully within some time I will have my own knowledge base and will be able to help those that helped me.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #11710
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
It might, but only if you're good enough, drive with the same style and the track is a similar size and type

Trev
wooohooo!!! at least I have a shot then. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Technic View Post
Right. I agree with the above. However, at the same time, for someone that is coming from LRP and a "set it and forget it" approach (when it comes to the ESC settings at least), the Tekin RS can be a bit intimidating. Using others' profiles allows you to at least have a starting point with which to start experimenting for your local track and your own driving style.

I have only been on this thread for 2 days and I haven't even run my Tekin yet (tonight!), but I already feel like I have a good grasp on the process and what things do what thanks to all the knowledge shared. I know that the setups I have downloaded and the tips people have shared with me aren't going to be the end all be all at my local track (and for my particular car), but they got me a head start instead of starting with the box stock profile.

Hopefully within some time I will have my own knowledge base and will be able to help those that helped me.
you are right about the set-it-and-forget it speedos have a shallow learning curve, but I have never thought speedos of that configuration were fast. They were capable, but never really had any more speed then the next box on the shelf

Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #11711
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Wish I were sponsored by Tekin so I can test without fear of blowing something up.
If anything 203 is less likely to blow things up and is more forgiving than previous versions in many respects. There is nothing you can do that should be able to smoke the controller. All you can do is make a lot of heat, which is easy to see before damage. Heat is king and you should always check every few minutes with new setups before you rip a full run.

As long as you do not set the top rpm really low you will not have all the boost until you are going fast, which is where we want it. Put it in too early and you get heat.

In the corners we slow down to the low rpms. So the low rpm setting determines how much timing you still have in the corner. If you are about 6k rpm in the corner and set the low rpm to 6k then you will have no boost in corner and add it back as you accel out. If you set the low rpm to 2k you will still have some of the boost in the corner, how much depends on the high rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCosworth View Post
A Tekin 10.5, with the esc on basic settings and a 12.5mm rota, revs at just under 30,000 RPM.

A Tekin 10.5, with the esc set to 55 and 0 turbo and a 12.5mm rota, revs at just over 85,000 RPM (13mm rota revs at 74,600RPM).

A Tekin 10.5, with the esc set to 55 and 20 turbo and a 12.5mm rota, revs just over 97,000 RPM.
Whoa! Lets not be free spooling the motor to these crazy levels. Probably 50amp no load current at the 75K rpm mark and off the chart at the 97K. On the track the load keeps the motor in a much more reasonable range….. Thank goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
It's not so much that it's difficult. Once you start messing with it, it's pretty simple but it is a bit intimidating for the first time or less knowledgeable racer. I'm not sure what more could be done about it though. The only thing I can think of would be "Easy Buttons". I think you mentioned something like this earlier.

Basically, ship the speedo with 203 installed and have a safe but good base set-up for all common racing types available with the push buttons on the esc. Might not be doable, but would be nice. Me, I'll stick with the laptop
We are going to replace the throttle profiles on the unit with Timing profiles. This allows most to pick the high profiles for spec motors and low profiles for mod motors and just work on gearing.

We also plan to make easy buttons in the hotwire for 1S and 2S for each wind. We are still learning what those setups should be.

We ship the units with version 183 which is safe and has no timing advance abilities. They have to come get the higher versions so we have a chance to make sure they realize you need to drop a lot of gears with increased timing.

Because it is so adjustable you will see some unique setups while we are still learning. Boost and Turbo are completely independent settings, but can be used together in many unique combinations.

Our drivers are pushing the limits to find it all, but for most a basic setup is going to be fine. Unless you are you are as good as Donny Lia, Shreff or Cuffs you should just concentrate on your car and driving and not overcomplicate things. These boys squeeze inches out of the line while most of us are scrubbing and adding feet to the line.

Congrats to all the Tekin Drivers and thank you for helping us get here!

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #11712
Tech Regular

Quote:
wooohooo!!! at least I have a shot then. lol
Well you have a better chance than I would have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
Our drivers are pushing the limits to find it all, but for most a basic setup is going to be fine. Unless you are you are as good as Donny Lia, Shreff or Cuffs you should just concentrate on your car and driving and not overcomplicate things. These boys squeeze inches out of the line while most of us are scrubbing and adding feet to the line.

Congrats to all the Tekin Drivers and thank you for helping us get here!

Tekin Prez
Absolutely correct, I for one would improve far more by hitting more apexes than getting the last bit of power out of the ESC setup.

Thanks for producing something that is so quick and so much fun to play with.

Trev
Schumacher Racing
Old 02-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #11713
Tech Master

Blowing up motors with 203?!?!?!?

My motor ran about 10-13* F COOLER simply by switching from 200 to 203......
Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #11714
Tech Champion

Mine dropped 20 degrees once I learned how to use my temp tool properly...LOL
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #11715
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

can anyone tell me their settings on this for a medium sized asphalt track for running 17.5? My brother just updated his software from an older version to this one and i dont want him frying his motor. I need the as many of the settings for turbo to start hmm...halfway down the straight and an FDR to accomodate for that. Its running in a TC5, thx.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote