R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #11551
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got a chance to race 13.5 1c 1/12th scale this weekend with 2.03 software. I think I have a good speedo setup. It fell off .5/ lap in the 8 minute run.

My settings:

Throttle Profile: 5
Timing Boost: 48
Turbo Boost: 8
Turbo Delay: .2
Start RPM: 800
End RPM: 8500
Ramp Delay: 3
Rollout: 77mm

Carpet track, 40' x 100'

The only thing I noticed is that. When I go onto the straight away just before it hits the ramp, it doesn't go into the ramp smoothly. Als most like it bogs out. Is that because I have the start RPM's to low?

On the the old vegas software. I only fell off .3 to .4 on this same layout.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #11552
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
your running 1/12
yes 1/12 17.5 and 13.5 and will be starting to work on my wgt setups.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #11553
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW141 View Post
I got a chance to race 13.5 1c 1/12th scale this weekend with 2.03 software. I think I have a good speedo setup. It fell off .5/ lap in the 8 minute run.

My settings:

Throttle Profile: 5
Timing Boost: 48
Turbo Boost: 8
Turbo Delay: .2
Start RPM: 800
End RPM: 8500
Ramp Delay: 3
Rollout: 77mm

Carpet track, 40' x 100'

The only thing I noticed is that. When I go onto the straight away just before it hits the ramp, it doesn't go into the ramp smoothly. Als most like it bogs out. Is that because I have the start RPM's to low?

On the the old vegas software. I only fell off .3 to .4 on this same layout.
start rpm seams way low for 13.5. turbo delay seams way short. and ramp 3 for 13.5 is pretty agressive. also throttle profile 5 is really agressive.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #11554
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamen View Post
yeap... my friend at here using s.p v3 with tekin.. nothing happen.. smooth..

but im having some problems with this team power.. only at starting point...

maybe must change to other motor..
Duo 1 with no advance...

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #11555
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Timing is exponential. Turbo is independant from boost HOWEVER some boost must be set. The amount of timing applied, when the turbo is engaged is NOT dependant on timing boost settings.

The v203 software REALLY should get it done in nearly all applications without turbo. If you're setting your turbo delay below .4 or .5 you're overtiming your setup and I gurantee that you're still off and leaving HP on the "table" so to speak.

Turbo is designed to support not having enough timing boost. If you're using some turbo try adding a touch of motor timing instead. Turbo was not intended to directly cover or cross time the timing boost. I do realize that it does work. V203 is very forgiving to bad setups and setups that aren't ideal.

However if you listen to Lang(isgroup) or others that have seen the light, you will see that once you get the ideal setup you will not have .5 seconds of fall off, you will have a strong run upfront and in the back. It takes time and testing. There are a lot of factors to take into account.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #11556
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
However if you listen to Lang(isgroup) or others that have seen the light, you will see that once you get the ideal setup you will not have .5 seconds of fall off, you will have a strong run upfront and in the back. It takes time and testing. There are a lot of factors to take into account.
that guy LANG knows what he is talking about
buffalobill989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #11557
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

never did get a clear answer to if your finger on throttle control makes a difference on HP with the tekin.
if U use a .2 delay and nail your throttle from a stand still will it over lap boost and turbo
or does it not engage turbo till after the rpm end?
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #11558
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
never did get a clear answer to if your finger on throttle control makes a difference on HP with the tekin.
if U use a .2 delay and nail your throttle from a stand still will it over lap boost and turbo
turbo only comes in after the delay it can over lap timing boost if the motor is not spooled up and can create heat
Old 02-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #11559
Tech Elite

Quote:
It has been mentioned every other post on this thread

The turbo comes in after the set delay, no matter what the RPM, how fast the car is moving or whether it's a leap year.

The turbo is for top end, you have to have things set so that your car is at full speed (or near enough) and has run out of steam, then you want the turbo.

If you add all the turbo too soon the timing will ramp up and as it does so you will lose torque, meaning the the motor and ESC will struggle to convert the energy into speed, instead it turns it into heat.

In short, you DO NOT WANT TO BE USING ANY TURBO off the line!

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #11560
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
It has been mentioned every other post on this thread

The turbo comes in after the set delay, no matter what the RPM, how fast the car is moving or whether it's a leap year.

The turbo is for top end, you have to have things set so that your car is at full speed (or near enough) and has run out of steam, then you want the turbo.

If you add all the turbo too soon the timing will ramp up and as it does so you will lose torque, meaning the the motor and ESC will struggle to convert the energy into speed, instead it turns it into heat.

In short, you DO NOT WANT TO BE USING ANY TURBO off the line!

Skiddins
so i short turbo is applied after throttle is pull 100% on matter what rpm motor has?
so throttle control is assential to use turbo properly
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #11561
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
so i short turbo is applied after throttle is pull 100% on matter what rpm motor has?
so throttle control is assential to use turbo properly
Only after the delay. This is why most people keep saying to use long delays. All these .2 and .3 delays some people are using are probably doing more harm than good.

As for throttle control, not really. Just that if there is a spot on the track that you do NOT want turbo, a slight blip of the throttle will reset the delay. For instance, if you have a wide open sweeper leading on to the straight and you want no turbo until you are out of it, a slight lift of the throttle in that sweeper will reset it.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #11562
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Only after the delay. This is why most people keep saying to use long delays. All these .2 and .3 delays some people are using are probably doing more harm than good.

As for throttle control, not really. Just that if there is a spot on the track that you do NOT want turbo, a slight blip of the throttle will reset the delay. For instance, if you have a wide open sweeper leading on to the straight and you want no turbo until you are out of it, a slight lift of the throttle in that sweeper will reset it.
True but it's also how you pull your trigger.
Some driver pull it slower than others.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #11563
Regional Moderator

Quote:
The v203 software REALLY should get it done in nearly all applications without turbo. If you're setting your turbo delay below .4 or .5 you're overtiming your setup and I gurantee that you're still off and leaving HP on the "table" so to speak.
Hmm, Jeff Cuffs' setups on Tekin's site (both for 17.5 and 13.5 TC) specify 0.2 Turbo Delay.

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESC...03-17-5-TC.pdf

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESC...03-13-5-TC.pdf

And Kenny Lambert's 1/12 setups specify 0.1 or 0.2 Turbo Delay:

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESC...dium-track.pdf

http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire/ESC...arge-track.pdf

No wonder everyone is getting confused.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #11564
Tech Elite

remember is were initial setups. most of these were posted the week after 203 came out or shortly after

Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #11565
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Turbo Boost will come in based on how long you hold full throttle, and nothing else. If you bang the throttle open, 0.2 secs later Turbo Boost will come in irrespective of the Timing Boost setting. Turbo Boost will add its timing onto whatever is there, and in almost all cases, that will be too much and the motor will slow down. The best thing for everybody is to follow this advice...

Quote:

Turbo is designed to support not having enough timing boost. If you're using some turbo try adding a touch of motor timing instead. Turbo was not intended to directly cover or cross time the timing boost. I do realize that it does work. V203 is very forgiving to bad setups and setups that aren't ideal.

..because that's what I did, and the results are sensational! This is for 1S 12th with a Redline 10.5. I only use Timing Boost - Turbo Boost is off - and running 50 Timing Boost with 10deg motor timing, I have dropped from 64mm/rev to 58mm/rev. The car is just so fast, and with no drop-off in eight minutes. Temps are fine. Below 58 it is slower, above that it just gets hotter.

Also, to get more throttle feel, I have widened the powerband. This has the greatest effect on driveability and rip in the infield. Don't be tempted to go for too narrow a power band (2500 - 7000 is a minimum) and use that setting to get the rip and driveability you need. I'm using 2500 - 10000 with great effect. Turbo Boost is dead, long live Timing Boost and motor advance!!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote