R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #11356
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Don't go that far over the top. Some radios have more wander than others. I've seen older M8's and M11's have it because of the linkage on the trigger wearing out.

What I reccomend is max out your radio, lower the throttle side by 10 points, then calibrate the RS, then max it back out. SO no more than 10 over your calibration point.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #11357
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

So I'd like to hear other people's opinion on running the RSpro in modified.
I,ve turned off the timing boost and turbo, but the speed control is not smooth and very difficult to drive. It's jerky and unpredictable.
I let two other top level drivers drive it and they thought it was terrible, almost undrivable, so I know it's not me.
I'm wondering if it's just my speedo or if they are all like this.
I'd like to run just 1 esc for stock and mod. Anyone have ideas on how to smooth this thing out?
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #11358
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just put a Tekin RS pro in my World Gt and was told that I need to make sure my timming on my motor is set from 0 to 5 to start out with, but that the scales on all motors are not the same. I have a DUO 2 13.5 is the middle mark true zero?
Thanks
BIGBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #11359
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
So I'd like to hear other people's opinion on running the RSpro in modified.
I,ve turned off the timing boost and turbo, but the speed control is not smooth and very difficult to drive. It's jerky and unpredictable.
I let two other top level drivers drive it and they thought it was terrible, almost undrivable, so I know it's not me.
I'm wondering if it's just my speedo or if they are all like this.
I'd like to run just 1 esc for stock and mod. Anyone have ideas on how to smooth this thing out?
Depends what you call modified and what class you run. I ran 4.5t and 2s lipo in a 235mm pancar and speed and the throttle control was very nice in sensord mode (with the old software). A modified motor doesn't like a lot of timing so boost till 8 or so is the maximum with no turbo (you mention that you don't run with boost so that shoudl not be the problem). You should put on another capacitor or use a bigger one. Also if used in onroad put a fan on the chassiss that blows against the solder postst otherwise the esc gets too hot.

I am not sure what you mean by driving jerky or unpredictable. I had no problems whatsoever driving with the modifications i mentioned.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #11360
Team Tekin

Chris Tossolini is running I believe a 4.5 right now at the Birds with an RS Pro set with V203 in sensored only mode, 5 degrees of timing boost.

If you haven't tried mods with 203 you really owe it to yourself to try it. Just be easy on timing boost and start slow.

Barry Baker tried it and felt that it was too agressive on the bottom end, he ended up with TP 1 , -20 exp set in his radio and felt it was comparable to the blue stuff on the bottom end. He was running a 4.5 also with about 10 on timing boost.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Old 01-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #11361
Tech Adept

I run mod, with RS pro, with X12 4.0 and 5.5, in large outdoors tracks, with timming up to 10 and turbo up to MAX, TP 3, without problems, i need to put 2 capacitors in ESC, 1 more in RX, and now run with fan because here normally are hot temps, now are cold (10-15C), are very driveable, very smooth for a 4.0T with 2S lipo, but be carefull with ratios and temps.

Greetings, Luis C.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #11362
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luic View Post
I run mod, with RS pro, with X12 4.0 and 5.5, in large outdoors tracks, with timming up to 10 and turbo up to MAX, TP 3, without problems, i need to put 2 capacitors in ESC, 1 more in RX, and now run with fan because here normally are hot temps, now are cold (10-15C), are very driveable, very smooth for a 4.0T with 2S lipo, but be carefull with ratios and temps.

Greetings, Luis C.
I gues the x12 has less motor timing then my novak 4.5t cause with 10 boost i had horrible cogging when boost came in.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #11363
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Motor Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBOT View Post
I just put a Tekin RS pro in my World Gt and was told that I need to make sure my timming on my motor is set from 0 to 5 to start out with, but that the scales on all motors are not the same. I have a DUO 2 13.5 is the middle mark true zero?
Thanks
Yes, I believe it is.
BLITZ/LRP TC SPEC/TRINITY LIPO/HURRICANE 10.5
SLASH/LRP TC SPEC/TRINITY LIPO/HURRICANE 17.5
VPRTRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #11364
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
The science to it is easy. The start rpm is where the timing will start to increase, the end is where it will hit max timing. As for where to put those numbers and your Sentry data, well you could start it at 4k but then you would have NO timing coming out of slow corners. I doubt zero timing would provide the most power at 4k rpm, it is going to need some. If you set the end at 20k, you would only hit max timing at the very end of the straight, so for most of the track you would not have max timing. This is why start and end rpms should usually be well within your actual rpm range.

To get really scientific about it, you would really need dyno data for the motor and speed control combined to really fine tune it. Without that, track testing will have to suffice.
You missed the question I was asking. With the Data logger I can figure out my average RPM anywere on the track. Basically it is a dyno. I can plot acceleration curves from the data etc. I know exactly how the timing is added. What I was asking is where the RPM set points should be set relative to where the car is on the track. For example, is the start set at my RPM for pulling out of a corner into a short chute and the max set for what I hit just before the timer for the turbo kicks in? Or do I want all the boost applied for a while before the turbo?
Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #11365
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdrive View Post
I gues the x12 has less motor timing then my novak 4.5t cause with 10 boost i had horrible cogging when boost came in.
Yes, the X12 have a litle advantage it can go down to -10 timming, this give a lot of torque.

Greetings, Luis C.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #11366
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to metalracer2

whats a good 17.5 and a 13.5 motor to run with this speedo?
AE B4.1W AE T4.1
metalracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #11367
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tekin redline or duo2 work really well

I have not test but a friend tells me the balistic not that
hot with the tekin
Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #11368
Team Tekin

The start and end rpm's allow you to set the perfect powerband for your timing boost setting.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #11369
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

When you rubber TC guys switch from 13.5 to 17.5, do you typically keep the set up in the esc the same and play with pinion only or should I change the rpm range as well? I'm figuring the boost and turbo would be relatively the same for both but not totally sure as I've only run 13.5 with the new software so far.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #11370
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

rpm range would be a little different and gearing of course