R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #1051
Tech Adept

Default Mod timing

I agree with mangoman on timing.
I am testing my RS Pro in 5 cell 4,5T LRP for a week now. Finaly got the speed I was used to (85-88km/h)with LRP TC ESC. Throtle profile 5 with 100% timing. I use large cap on my ESC (4700/16v) and the heat never went pass 5 lights. We have a very large track here in Netherlands (http://www.machheemstede.nl)so backstraight speed is essential.
Now I'm playing with FDR to get it just wright (going from 5,5 to 6,4) regarding runtime. I'll keep you posted on this.

Z
Old 09-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #1052
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrememadness View Post
thanx fred. so if im not in sensored only mode but im running a sensored motor then can the timing be changed through the hotwire? thanx again
Yes, you can change the timing in sensorless (hybrid) mode by using the hotwire. I haven't run much yet with the high wind motors but I'd start with 50% in 12th and go from there.

If you have plenty of punch off the corners but it needs more straight line speed it needs more timing. Just watch your laptimes at the end of the run so it doesn't fall off. Laptimes are a better indicator than motor temp as long as you're not cooking the motor.

If it needs more punch and straightaway, try a little less timing and more gear.

It's kind of hard to explain how the car feels with different gears and timing but those two "if's" should get you in the ballpark for 12th.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #1053
Regional Moderator

Any good pointers as to how to determine when you should go down in pinion to get more rip out of the turn (and raise the timing to get the RPM and speed back) versus increasing the pinion and reducing the timing? The two should be equivalent (except for heat issues) right?
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #1054
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

thanx again fred. this weekend at our local track i was running 100% timing and geared 47 to 76 on a 90x40 track. rollout was 84mm. put it in the show and was running 11.0 flat all day. fast guys were at 10.6 lap times. so im a little off. had plenty of speed in the straight and not too bad in the infield but felt i could use a little more punch. motor was coming off at 165. maybe i will try less timing and more gear see how that goes. thanx again for the help
Old 09-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #1055
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Any good pointers as to how to determine when you should go down in pinion to get more rip out of the turn (and raise the timing to get the RPM and speed back) versus increasing the pinion and reducing the timing? The two should be equivalent (except for heat issues) right?
They really aren't the same but It's hard to explain without showing what timing actually does on the dyno. More timing on a 17.5 or 13.5 doesn't make more power (only changes things a couple watts). It does change where the peak efficiency is though.

There's no cut and dried "do this when" for gearing and most people will tell you to just crank up the timing all the way for 17.5 and 13.5 and gear from there. Cranking the timing up all the way is fine and it will be the fastest down the straight but it won't necessarily be as fast on the infield or at the end of the run.

I normally set the timing all the way down, and get the gearing close. Then I turn up the timing from there until it gets hot or goes flat in the middle of the straight. Some tracks will be full timing and some won't.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #1056
Tech Fanatic

I'll be running a RSPRO in 13.5 Truck (off-road). The track is a indoor and tight layout. Longest straight will be 60'. What can you suggest for timing or just leave it as is.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:38 AM   #1057
Tech Regular

Default TEKIN RS PRO FOR 1/12TH ??????????

Planning to purchase a couple of these for the new 1/12th season in the Uk.
Running 10.5 BL.
A couple of questions before i take the plunge.

1.Keep reading about hot wire set up.Is this adjustable with out the use of hot wire.Currently use the Nosram 2007 evo which is very user friendly.
2.Starting profiles would be helpfull for large national type tracks.
3.Is 16 gauge wire ok to use but lighter and more flexible.
tellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #1058
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

For 13.5 Truck I run in sensored only max motor timing. I'd gear your truck low since your straight is short.

Losi may be around 23/86
AE may be around 24/87

Check the temps of both the esc and motor after 3 minutes of running at race pace. Gear accordingly after that.

16 guage wire shoud be ok for 1/12. I'd keep an eye on it's temperature also. That is NOT where you want to get hot.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #1059
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellan View Post
1.Keep reading about hot wire set up.Is this adjustable with out the use of hot wire.Currently use the Nosram 2007 evo which is very user friendly.
As a general punter in my opinion you shouldnt get an RS without the hotwire. Some things are configurable without it but timing, which is quite imporant, will not be configurable.

By default the timing setting is quite low on the RS im not sure what 12th scale requires, or whether it may be better to run the esc in sensored motor only (which is also only configurable via the hotwire).
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #1060
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Knapp Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Knapp

Hey guys,
I was just wondering what you were rolling out your 17.5 motors at with foam tires. and the track i run on is a 40 x 80. and also for a 13.5.
Any suggestions?
thanks
-Andrew Knapp
Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #1061
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default A main Launch

I am still have a Launching concern with both my RS/RS pro in the line. I cannot get my car to lauch off the line fast enough. Its so bad that I can be sitting in the first or second seat and the 10th place seat can beat me off the line.

Kit #1 IR 2.055
Kit #2 IR 2.00
Kit #3 IR 2.437

RS/RS Pro w/13.5 redline or SP 13.5

RL gear about 4.2~4.5 Full timing temp 165~180Kit#2,#1.3
SP gear about 4.0~4.3 Set timing temp 165~180 Kit#1.2.3

Current Setting

Drag Brake 15
Brake Strenght 95
Neutral Width 7
Thottle Position 5
Voltage off
Push off
Timing 80
Current limit Off

Sensored only enabled (I tried both ways)

Another question is why is the Brushless Max Current per phrase so low compare to the competition?

And lastly if anyone is looking to pick up a three race weekend used RS/RSPro LMK I am willing to part with either.

I would write Tekin forums directly, but their Spyware/Spam is so fragile you got to get a second approval just to open a customers account.
m3ndo5a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #1062
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I never had problem with launch. What update are you running? Here are my settings for 13.5 foam sedan on carpet track 90 x 40 length. I will post up screen shots of hotwire later this week.

gearing= 4.4 fdr or rollout= 40.72
motor= hacker 13.5
drag = 45
rev = 0
brake = 75
neutral = 10
blfw
throt = 5
volt = 2s
push = 0
timing = 100
current = off

Last edited by Kenny L; 09-18-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Kenny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #1063
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

M3:

I too would like to know which software level you're running in your Rs's.

If you would like to email me direct I will get your email:

[email protected]

I can help you with your forum issue as well.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #1064
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
As a general punter in my opinion you shouldnt get an RS without the hotwire. Some things are configurable without it but timing, which is quite imporant, will not be configurable.

By default the timing setting is quite low on the RS im not sure what 12th scale requires, or whether it may be better to run the esc in sensored motor only (which is also only configurable via the hotwire).
An RS-PRO w/ hotwire is still cheaper than some leading brushless speedo's (ahem speed passion).
Old 09-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #1065
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

180 software

I am running on bigger tracks Asphalt.

Randy email sent.
m3ndo5a is offline   Reply With Quote